Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dremeling Heads Tips?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm 

Title says it all - planning on dremeling out an extra RAH Lift Ticket head to make a co-pilot helmet.

Never done this before - any words from the wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Dremeling Heads Tips?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:31 pm 

Practice on some junk heads first. It's not too hard, but definitely get a feel for it before you work on the final head.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:23 pm 

Have patience. What you're talking about is a big job. It'll take a while, and haste makes junk.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:58 pm 

Get one of the Corps figures with the pilot helmets and dremel those out... LOTS easier to dremel those out and softer plastic as well..

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
Practice on some junk heads first. It's not too hard, but definitely get a feel for it before you work on the final head.

This is great advice, and to take it one step further, practice dremeling out a helmet on a head you don't need or have multiples of. It's a weirdly specific technique, and given the size of the piece, relatively small slips can cause a lot of hassle. The trickiest part is doing the edges (although making sure you don't go through the back or top is also a consideration), so having some practice using the dremel to make similar edges will help a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:41 pm 

Why bother, just buy a cast of the helmet itself. I'm pretty sure some casters like Ragingspoon, Tofujesse, Hunterartworks & some others should have it.

http://tofujesse.corecommerce.com/cart. ... ds=&venID=

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm 

I misread this at first as dremeling out the neck post on a ARAH Lift Ticket head, to adapt for a modern body.

Dremeling out a helmet is more advanced, but it's doable. However, I don't think the helmet will fit very many ARAH style heads no matter how hollowed out it gets, not as a removable helmet at least.

What would probably work is dremeling out Lift Ticket's face, and cutting down the head of the copilot to fit in the helmet, if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 am 
Plug
Plug

To hollow out a helmet of an existing head, start by cutting off the neck post (I usually save the necks too). Don't need it for this and it'll get in the way. Like DanOfTheDead said, you really just want the face gone but I find it is safer for me to work from the inside and move out toward the face. Otherwise I end up melting the edges of the helmet. That is a personal preference thing. So I start like I'm just hollowing out the neck. I start with a pointed engraving bit but once I've reached a certain safe depth (measuring and comparing the bit on the outside of the head to see how deep I'm drilling), I switch to a ball shaped engraving bit and start making the hole wider, hollowing it out. It is at this point I will start working towards the face. I hold the head up to a light source to see if I'm getting too close to the surface in an area where I don't want to. If the plastic is thin enough it will let light through. I'll try to get it so the so most of the face is letting light through. Remember, it is always easier to drill out more than it is to patch up a hole, so take your time and stop often to check things out. Depending on the helmet I might switch to an Xacto and trim the face off at this point, otherwise I'll dremel from the front of the face starting around the nose and work my way outwards towards the helmet. Now that the face is gone and everything is hollowed out I start seeing if it will fit the head I want it to. If it doesn't I'll either hollow out the helmet a little more, grind down the head some, or a combination of the two. Again like Dan said, it all depends on whether or not I need it to be removable or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 am 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

On this, how do you guys secure the heads you're dremmeling?

I generally fire the head half way across the workshop at least once every time that I do this. I was dremmeling out a Lego Friends head to work with a Kreo body, and must have almost lost the damned thing about a dozen time - and potentially a finger as well when it slipped. Clamps tend to fail at the worst times, and anything stronger that I've tried, leaves marks on the heads.

I do try to use a small drill bit, and mark the depth that I want to go with it on the bit in red paint so that I don't go too deep with it.

- R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:08 am 
Plug
Plug

raptor wrote:
On this, how do you guys secure the heads you're dremmeling?

I generally fire the head half way across the workshop at least once every time that I do this. I was dremmeling out a Lego Friends head to work with a Kreo body, and must have almost lost the damned thing about a dozen time - and potentially a finger as well when it slipped. Clamps tend to fail at the worst times, and anything stronger that I've tried, leaves marks on the heads.

I do try to use a small drill bit, and mark the depth that I want to go with it on the bit in red paint so that I don't go too deep with it.

- R
I always hold by hand because everything else has failed to secure it any better. For me the trick in that regard is to first create some wiggle room as you are drilling in and to stop and let the plastic and bit cool off. Once you get too aggressive and the bit gets all wrapped up in melted plastic is when heads start flying across the room. Or air pockets which you can't predict.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:15 pm 

So many great tips here - thanks!!! Almost too much - I can see myself trying to remember 14 things at the same time as I drill right through it ;)

raptor wrote:
...Clamps tend to fail at the worst times, and anything stronger that I've tried, leaves marks on the heads....

In regards to the clamp issue - I sometimes will add a piece of washcloth around the piece before clamping/using pliers. It usually still gives a tight grip w/o leaving marks so much.

raptor wrote:
...I do try to use a small drill bit, and mark the depth that I want to go with it on the bit in red paint so that I don't go too deep with it.

GREAT idea. That's my biggest fear is drilling too deep.

DanoftheDead wrote:
I don't think the helmet will fit very many ARAH style heads no matter how hollowed out it gets, not as a removable helmet at least....What would probably work is dremeling out Lift Ticket's face, and cutting down the head of the copilot to fit in the helmet, if that makes any sense.

May have to do the "face-lift" option. Was really hoping for a usable/removable helmet, esp. since RAH Lift Ticket has such a big ol' noggin! -Thought maybe I'd have extra wiggle room. If I do go the face-lift route, I think I have some zartan masks that might work to just glue on after grinding off the old face.

Last edited by parrish333 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:25 pm 
DarkJedi'd

parrish333 wrote:
GREAT idea. That's my biggest fear is drilling too deep.

I know that's my BIGGEST fear... :rotfl: :whistling: 8-O :-D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:34 pm 

What head were you looking at using as the co-pilot? I have dremeled out two lift ticket helmets with success.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 pm 

Do you guys cut stuff off with a dremmel too? I see those demmel cutting wheels but never used them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 pm 

I have dremeled out helmets from both the ARAH Line (Scrap Iron) and Modern Era line (Tripwire). I even have a hollowed out and split original Destro mask. The trick that I have used successfully is to measure the height of the helmet (that you plan to hollow) and subtract one mark, if you measure 1.75", go to 1.5". Next measure the distance on a small drill bit. Drill into the helmet at the center until you get to the mark on the drill bit. Then carefully begin cutting away the inside of the helmet with the drill bit, start at the opening and create small rotations. Once most of the inside material is gone, switch from the drill bit to a tappered grinding bit (they are usually pink and look like stone). On a low speed dremel out most of the helmet. Once most of the helmet is hollowed, switch to a small round diamond etching bit. Now is when you want to take your time and grind out the helmet a little at a time. The small round diamond bit will allow you to work in the small areas. Periodically size the helmet on the head that you intend to use it on and remove what you need for the helmet to fit. Take your time and work slowly. I find that holding the piece in your hand is a good way of not dremeling all the way through. If you feel the part is getting too hot from the dremel, stop and let the piece cool down (friction creates heat!!).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])