Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:56 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: DG Joes discontinued.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm 

No, because I'm not a member of the club and don't see myself becoming one. If I didn't have to pay for the opportunity to pay them more money, I would buy the entire wave at $10.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:40 pm 

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
If The Club produced this 3rd wave, as is with similar packaging, paint apps and accessories to the first 2 waves, but at a slightly higher price point (it is The Club after all), say in the $10-12 range would you buy them?

"LASER BLAST" no. "LASER BLAST" the club. They can suck my butt.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:46 pm 

I might consider the Night Creeper, and maybe the Stinger Driver.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:07 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

You know, I think the Club is the exact wrong place for this kind of thing.

What I enjoyed about the DG Joes was the minimalist approach they took. Few paint apps, few accessories, massive custom potential. In many ways they reminded me of 82 joes.

And that's why I think Hasbro should scrap any plans of more 50th style offerings at retail and resurrect this idea with a little twist. Kids love toys they can take apart and recombine in different configurations now. It's like customizing for dummies.

What if Hasbro cashed in on that trend and revitalized Joe by releasing three or four different base bodies in a few different colors (green, blue and tan for starters)? Each could come with a couple of heads, a couple of different weapons, a couple different web gear/vests and a couple of backpacks.

You could follow the instructions on the back of the card to make a an existing character fm the Joe myths or mix and match hads and accessories to come up with entirely new characters. And Hasbro could sell additional head/accessory packs to increase the options.

They probably couldn't sell these at the Dollar General price point, but they could make them competitive in the current market (which, jam packed as it is with 5 PoA offerings also feels like the action figure market did in 82 when Joes first showed up).

Hasbro could leave the hyper-detailed reimaginings of core characters in modern style to the Club, where the FSS is more or less filling that need already, and re-establish dominance in the action figure aisle while revitalizing Joe for a new generation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:31 pm 

As a kid I would be against the minimalist part. I picked my figures that I bought largely by the weapons they came with. The filecard story helped but the true decision was made by what cool weapons a figure had.

As for price. I am not buying, that Hasbro can not make a profit off of these figures at this price. If that was true Lanard would not be able to exist this long. I know that Articulation is not as good on current Lanard selection but the price point of Lanard is much cheaper. They are not spending money on molds and plastic should be cheaper then it has been in years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 pm 

Another side note. I watched last weeks Goldbergs (for those who are not familiar, it is a sitcom about an 80's familly) They always have a FLAGG set up in the den but last weeks episode started with a vintage (actual) video of the GI Joe section in the toy aisle. It reminded me just how much different the toy aisle really is now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 pm 

I'm sure that toy aisle was in a Toys R Us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am 

It looked very similar to what I remember Wal-Mart looking like in 1983. At our little bitty Wal-Mart The Joe section was at least 6 foot wide from floor to the top.

In the year of the FLAGG the flag was fully set up and displayed in the middle of the aisle as soon as you walked through the doors.

I never went to a TRU as a kid but in 1987 I did have the opportunity to visit a Children's Palace and even in 1987 its Joe aisle was at least 3 times as big as the one shown on the show last Wednesday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:13 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:16 am 
DarkJedi'd

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
If The Club produced this 3rd wave, as is with similar packaging, paint apps and accessories to the first 2 waves, but at a slightly higher price point (it is The Club after all), say in the $10-12 range would you buy them?

Nope, because they say you had to stand in line at a show to get them, then you get home with nothing because they sold out 40 people in front of you, then a short time later they found some extras, put them up for sale on their website, and sold out while you ran down the hall at work to take care of the *paperwork*...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:32 am 

Based on the photos above, Buzzer was a pegwarmer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm 

At $10 not really, the price and figure selection is what sold me on these. Ive posted these before but her's what I'd like to see done for DG.

JOES
Roadblock
(DVD 25th version) First Wave Double Blast colors. Second Wave Modified BJ's colors just the shirt, not the whole chest. 25th gun & maybe a helmet
Hawk
(General Hawk head, Kick Start body) First Wave OD green. Second Wave tan & black. Same guns as Duke.
Deep Six
(ROC t-shirt Hawk body, ROC Repeater head) First Wave DG Shipwreck blue. Second Wave DG Duke grey. Piranha Shipwreck Boonie Hat, VvV m-4, Topside vest.

COBRA
Baroness
(ROC Baroness) First Wave blue/black. Second Wave grey/black. Her pistols.
Major Bludd
(DoCI body) First Wave blue/black ala his Sonic Fighter colors. Second Wave purple & black like his 93-94 figure. Pistol, 25th anniversary Baroness rifle, & helmet.
Cobra Eel
(ROC Eel body) First wave Blue/Black. Second wave Grey/Black. Fins, web gear, & speargun

Next would be either wave 5-6 or a similar contract with Family Dollar or 5 Below wave 1-2
Joes
Flint
(Flint as Cobra Trooper head & arms, Desert Ambush Duke torso/waist/legs.) First wave: black shirt, gloves, beret, boots, od green pants. Second wave: khaki shirt, pants, black beret, brown gloves and boots. Major Barrage shotgun & 25th anniversary Flint webgear.
Mainframe
(Dataframe head, ROC Lt Stone body) First wave: Dark grey uniform, black helmet, gloves, belt, & boots. Second wave: OD green uniform, brown helmet, gloves, belt, & boots. ROC Covergirl's laptop, over the shoulder strap, Grunt v12 pistol.
Kamakura
(ROC Flash head, Desert Ambush Duke arms, 25th anniversary Storm Shadow body) First Wave: OD Green gi, light green mask, black gloves & boots. Second wave Medium grey gi, dull orange mask, brown gloves & boots. Sash, katanna, and mp-5.

Cobras
Firefly
(Blue 25th Firefly head, ROC Night Ops Duke body) First wave: Two tone grey body, dark grey gloves &boots. Second wave: Two tone green camo body, dark green gloves & boots. Viper vest in same color as gloves & boots, Retaliation Alleyviper rifle, bomb of some sort.
Televiper
(Televiper head, Viper torso, Cobra Trooper Flint arms, ROC Breaker legs.) First Wave: Navy blue helmet w/grey visor, uniform, black gloves & boots. Second Wave: Black helmet w/red visor, black uniform , gloves, & boots. Televiper vest in color of visor, Televiper gun, pistol.
Cobra Mechanic
(Cobra Trooper v2 head, Flint v13 Body) First Wave: Cobra blue body, black gloves/boots, red emblem on chest, & Red Mask. Second Wave: Grey body, black gloves/boots, black emblem, & black mask. Repeater v3 hat in uniform color, knife, Cross Country v3 wrench, pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

DREMEL wrote:
Another side note. I watched last weeks Goldbergs (for those who are not familiar, it is a sitcom about an 80's familly) They always have a FLAGG set up in the den but last weeks episode started with a vintage (actual) video of the GI Joe section in the toy aisle. It reminded me just how much different the toy aisle really is now.

Heh, yup. We were watching it and Colton said, "That's not fair!" "What?" "Toy aisles don't look like that!" "They did when I was a kid." "That's not fair! I want toy aisles like that!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:21 pm 

:like: to the guy above me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:27 pm 

MarkM wrote:
DREMEL wrote:

Heh, yup. We were watching it and Colton said, "That's not fair!" "What?" "Toy aisles don't look like that!" "They did when I was a kid." "That's not fair! I want toy aisles like that!"

That's awesome, but makes me kind of sad. I'm a little bit younger than a lot of you guys--born in 88--but even when I was 5, I remember how the Kmart aisle looked, and it's so different now. Even when Toybiz was making Legends, the aisle looked so remarkably different. It's sad that kids that want that experience don't get it anymore.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:56 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])