Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fake Rocks - PICS ADDED
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm 

Maybe this should go in General Customizing tips (mods feel free to move), but has anyone used fake landscaping rocks before? See for example:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=resin+rock&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

They look like instant diorama dreams! The bigger ones could even be a great base for a Cobra Mountain. Since they're hollow, you could also probably easily saw/Dremel a hole for a nifty cave.

A little pricey, but I'm thinking well worth it. *Maybe* you can even pass it off to the wife/fam/self as needing to come out of the yard budget....but oh wait it keeps spending a lot of time indoors :shifty:

Last edited by parrish333 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Fake Rocks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm 

They look cool and worth the price for dioramas, as far as for landscaping, at those prices I'd go search the woods for some rocks.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

interesting. would want to see them in person to get a better idea on the scale of them. And just as important - the weight of them. some of the "cheaper" ones could be useful. Would save me some time off the foam cutting project I have lined up... but I expect I'll still move forward without these.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I actually picked up a fountain from Ollie's for about $8 around a month ago. It is all rock molded in plastic and the internal parts look like bomb craters.

I've been meaning to post pics of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

Dusty79 wrote:
They look cool and worth the price for dioramas, as far as for landscaping, at those prices I'd go search the woods for some rocks.

They're actually meant to hide things in your yard - like if you have pipes or valves sticking up out of the ground, or out of the side of your house. So that's why they're hollow. For example I have a sewer pipe access point that sticks up 3-in in the middle of my yard - just high enough to stub your toe or wreck your mower.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:36 pm 

drbindy wrote:
interesting. would want to see them in person to get a better idea on the scale of them. And just as important - the weight of them. some of the "cheaper" ones could be useful. Would save me some time off the foam cutting project I have lined up... but I expect I'll still move forward without these.

As for scale, you can get somewhat of a decent idea by checking the dimensions in the details, e.g:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Emsco-Large-Resin-Landscape-Rocks-in-Deluxe-Natural-Textured-Finish-2870-1/204370030 that one has a 29"X31" base, and 13.5" high. But yeah, as to how it really looks with Joes, it's hard to gauge perfectly unless you see it in person. (That one in particular looks great since it has more horizontal surfaces).

I have seen a few of these at the local hardware stores - the weight really isn't bad since they're hollow. Your local Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's etc. should have at least a few. I really loved that these ones from HD have either free shipping or free ship-to-store.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:43 pm 

parrish333 wrote:
Dusty79 wrote:

They're actually meant to hide things in your yard - like if you have pipes or valves sticking up out of the ground, or out of the side of your house. So that's why they're hollow. For example I have a sewer pipe access point that sticks up 3-in in the middle of my yard - just high enough to stub your toe or wreck your mower.

That makes more sense. A hollow rock is better than a little light house or a little wishing well I guess. My mother in law has both of those by the way.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm 

Those look nice. I definitely will consider them for future projects.

Also, if anyone is interested in smaller scale rocks, Dollar Tree has some solar powered lights in their Gardening section.

You would have to remove the guts out and position to cover up the holes (if you don't want to fill them).

I bought one this weekend to use as a forge for a dio I am working on.

For a buck each, they can't be beat.

http://www.dollartree.com/seasonal/Lawn-and-Garden/Solar-Powered-Rock-Garden-Lights-3x2x1-frac78-/638c663c663p337523/index.pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:48 pm 

Hey all! Update on this thread - I bit the bullett and bought the big one from my local Menards (seeing it in person made it hard to resist AND got it for 1/2 off!!!)

Here's some pics to give you an idea of the size/scale/usage/detail. The top/back part of it is easily big enough to land a Tomahawk on (if it was cleared of the artillery emplacement in the pics).

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49805197@N06/sets/72157635010012537/

Definitely worth it IMHO! To give another idea of the size, it's hollow underside is big enough for my 4 yr-old to curl up inside and be totally concealed!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:17 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])