Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:28 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Take on Retaliation. (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 am 
Formerly Suburbanator

The complaints:

I didn't really care for the narration at the beginning. It needed to not exist, or be longer and explain where maybe some of the characters from the first movie had gone.

Mouse. He was cool, wish he hadn't been killed. Or take the character, make him older and harder and call him Low Light.

In RoC, G.I.*JOE was a top secret international organization. This time they seemed to be an American organization. Actually my preference, but let's keep some continuity between the two movies. Also the President mentions them openly and names Snake Eyes in a press conference. Even though it's supposed to be Zartan, you would think he would still trying to keep the secretive nature of the unit and its members quiet. Something that our current president did wrong was to acknowledge not only that it was an American unit that killed Osama bin Laden, but also calling them out as SEAL team 6. While everyone would have most likely speculated that it was indeed an American unit and most likely SEAL 6, units like that are secret for many reasons. Please note I was only using that as an example and not to start any kind of political conversation regarding our commander-in-chief.

Roadblock at home. While it is good to acknowledge that these people are human beings with families, and the scene with both of them playing the video game was pretty funny, I don't know that was really necessary, unless it was one of the added scenes, and it was just to show the friendship between the two characters.

The way Roadblock held his M-249. It just bothered me.

The movie cliche of Lady Jaye and her father and his opinion of women in the military and her trying to make him proud and not getting the appreciation she thought she deserved and Colton at the end saying her father would have been proud of her. It didn't really add anything to her character, and like I said it was just over used military movie cliche. Also, her name being Jaye Burnett. What's wrong with Allison Hart Burnett?

Every time a red ninja fell, did the camera really need to follow him down?

RZA as Blind Master. He looked cool but, and this may be harsh, but I think Jake Lloyd was better in Episode I.

Jinx was awesome, but, she was supposed be Japanese, looks like a Latina, and spoke like a Brit. G.I.*JOE is known for its diversity and multiculturalism, but all in one person?

Destro. End of RoC, things looked like they were cool between him and CC, but then he gets kicked out of the band? I hope they find a way to bring him back.

Storm Shadow. Uh, exactly how did he survive the end of RoC?

Zartan and Firefly's death. These were two of the best characters so far, they both really pulled off their roles well, sucks they had to die.

Joe Colton's old war buddies. What the hell was that all about? They should have been some characters of significance like Capt. Steve Rogers, maybe Col. Sharpe, Admiral Ledger, something along those lines, but these were just a couple of random guys that didn't really do much once introduced. Where I would have changed this up would have been that NOT EVEY SINGLE JOE was wiped out in the desert, as others were on other missions or something. Maybe these could have been those Joes brought in so that the existing Joe team didn't only include RB, Flint, Lady Jaye, Snake Eyes and Jinx.

When the Joes are being presented their awards at the end, why did Lady Jaye, an soldier in the US Army, have a Marine Corps Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on her uniform?

I didn't really like that Duke was killed. He's not my favorite character, and I know some that hate the character, but he is one of the core characters to the overall mythos.

Yeah it was cool that Joe gave Roadbock Patton's pistol, but who the hell just randomly fires a loaded gun into the air? At a ceremony where the President was in attendance?

How old are Storm Shadow and Zartan? Soft Master was killed when SS was what? Maybe 10? Then he meets the sword maker and learns from him, then as an adult learns the sword maker was Zartan in disguise, yet Zartan seems to be the same age then as he was while being the president.

Not enough John Armijo. Or maybe too much. I haven't decided yet.

The Likes:

With a bit of script tweeking, this could have been the first movie

Didn't have to worry about any of that Ripcord/Scarlett romance crap or the Duke/CC/Baroness triangle of nonsense

SE and Jinx's dune buggy had a good resemblance to the AWE Striker

That whole ninja fight on the side of the cliff was one of the coolest I've seen in any movie

I've always like The Rock and thought he did justice to Roadblock, but it would have been cool to hear his drop a rhyme into his speech, just as an homage

No idea who Flint and Lady's actors are, but I felt like they were Flint and Lady Jaye

I want Joe Coltn's house

The HISS tanks were awesome and it would have been cool to get representations of them in toy form

Cobra Commander's costume was awesome, better than what we got in figure form

Ray Stevens was perfect as Firefly. While it was kind of disappointing to find out what Boba Fett looked like, being such a man of mystery, I didn't feel like showing Firefly's face took away from the character, maybe because he was so darn good and enjoyable to watch. Firefly is my favorite baddie and I thought he was portrayed well in this film. Also loved Firefly's fireflies. That was a cool devise. Why didn't we get that instead of that street luge?

All in all a good film, did better justice to the brand than the first one, can't wait for part three

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: My Take on Retaliation. (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 pm 
Plug
Plug

Quote:
Roadblock at home. While it is good to acknowledge that these people are human beings with families, and the scene with both of them playing the video game was pretty funny, I don't know that was really necessary, unless it was one of the added scenes, and it was just to show the friendship between the two characters.
It was an added seen during the delay, specifically to show their friendship.

Quote:
Jinx was awesome, but, she was supposed be Japanese, looks like a Latina, and spoke like a Brit. G.I.*JOE is known for its diversity and multiculturalism, but all in one person?
You forgot that her filecard also says born in Los Angeles. :D I'm ok with this one. Go for the best actress for the role.

Quote:
I've always like The Rock and thought he did justice to Roadblock, but it would have been cool to hear his drop a rhyme into his speech, just as an homage
It has been said that is why he quotes Jay Z before they drop in to get the nukes. A modernized version of Roadblocks rhyming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:28 pm 
LOVES Mattel

pluv wrote:
Quote:
You forgot that her filecard also says born in Los Angeles. :D I'm ok with this one. Go for the best actress for the role.

And she was damn good. She doesn't look Latina, though. She's of Cambodian descent. She didn't look very Japanese, though. She looked a bit more like she was Thai.
I also don't get the british speaking thing. If anything, she was very much talking like a Japanese person who learned English as a second language. Pretty impressive feat for someone whose native language is French.

And it's definitely better than during Rise of Cobra when maybe people claimed (and some still do) that the white girl testing out the camo suit was Jinx.

I'm with you on RZA. He wasn't very good and didn't add much to the movie. His toy's got some sweet-ass weapons, though, so there's that.
I can't help but feel that casting Sho Kosugi as the Soft Master to fill the Blind Master's role would've improved the movie a good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:39 pm 
Plays a cop
Plays a cop

Suburbanator wrote:
Joe Colton's old war buddies. What the hell was that all about? They should have been some characters of significance like Capt. Steve Rogers, maybe Col. Sharpe, Admiral Ledger, something along those lines, but these were just a couple of random guys that didn't really do much once introduced. Where I would have changed this up would have been that NOT EVEY SINGLE JOE was wiped out in the desert, as others were on other missions or something. Maybe these could have been those Joes brought in so that the existing Joe team didn't only include RB, Flint, Lady Jaye, Snake Eyes and Jinx.

They originally were Stalker, etc, but Chu decided to NOT use their names to be able to save them for future use.

They filmed a much larger part with the 'old joes' helping out in the end battle, including actually being the ones that got the world leaders out and to safety. We ended up with maybe 5% of what they actually filmed.

Lame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:51 am 

How I felt about the movie.. It wasn't completed.. Holes here and there in the plot.. lotta stuff taken out.. I'm just waiting for them to release the rest of the movie.. cause that 90 minute trailer ROCKED.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 am 

You just saw "Retaliation"?! ;) You're right about most of the shortcomings, and I especially agree that this would've been a much better first movie. You know, the toy HISS isn't so far off, it's just missing the entire body/chassis between the treads! I keep wondering how I could mod one, but it's too much work for a design I'm not that crazy about. Also, the Tread Ripper (RipSaw) wouldn't be so bad if it were painted movie accurate (black-on-black). But I guess Hasbro needed to make it bright green so kids know it's a "good guy" vehicle, right? Wish it had a front, though.

A lot of scenes felt forced in to help the non-Joe fans. RZA's ninja family history speech, Roadblock's house & Duke's panties are three scenes I could've done without. The Korea raid at the beginning was pretty cool, but seems superfluous in comparison to the Pakistan raid (both show Joes kicking ass and escaping successfully). There's no significance to the Korean defector story, so I'm left scratching my head.

And I didn't even notice the Eagle, Globe & Anchor on Lady Jaye. That's crummy. Remember the whole Sgt. Duke with Major's insignia in "RoC"? You'd think they would've paid more attention this time around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:44 am 
Formerly Suburbanator

cyko wrote:
Also, the Tread Ripper (RipSaw) wouldn't be so bad if it were painted movie accurate (black-on-black). But I guess Hasbro needed to make it bright green so kids know it's a "good guy" vehicle, right?

If you got the Night Force set from this year's Con, there's a comic included and shows Crimson Asp, the new bad guy girl, escaping in a vehicle very similar to the Tread Ripper.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:28 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])