Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:01 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: G.I. Joe "Shattered Glass" theme from the Club?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm 

General's Joes discusses the possibility of "Shattered Glass" G.I. Joe theme that the Club asked about in their panel at the convention. Go read Justin's thoughts then discuss.

Personally I'm all for the Club doing something new with G.I.Joe. Whether that's "Shattered Glass" or something else, I'm really itching for them to take the G.I.Joe concept and contribute something more than just rehashes of existing concepts. While I think they've done a good job filling in the gaps in modern format and their convention sets have pleased me overall, I think that they could really spark some love for the property with something new.

Is "Shattered Glass" something that G.I.Joe could benefit from? If done right, absolutely. The mirror universe concept has been a genre staple ever since Star Trek did it nearly 50 years ago. I think a G.I.Joe version, if done with some serious thought behind it, could be a real hit. But it would take more than just slapping a new coat of paint on figures and saying "these are the bad guys and these are the good guys now" to win me over. There would have to be some care taken to keep the characters recognizable and not just "Evil Duke" or "Good Destro".

But the real trick is going to be the figures themselves. With Transformers, they can take a mold, do it in an opposite color scheme, slap a new head on it and call it a new character. With Joe, it takes more than a new coat of paint to have the same effect (and actually be worth buying). And that's the tricky part. How do you take these unique character designs, with mostly existing tooling and create something that is unique but still recognizable? It's not impossible, we do it all the time here with customs. But it will take some serious effort on the Club's part to do it well.

I'd like to see some concept art and storylines before committing to buying a "Shattered Glass" G.I.Joe con set but it is something I am interested in seeing.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe "Shattered Glass" theme from the Club?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm 
Strong Fat Tongue

Shattered Glass is something the Club COULD do, but I think there are way too many things the Club could do instead that would be better. Like Sky Patrol.

Personally, I could see them slipping in one or two Shattered Glass characters in like an FSS or as a Con Set extra, but overall? Nope.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm 
DarkJedi'd

So everyone will have facial hair to indicate they are a bad guy?

I'm not a fan of this concept, but as usual I would just come up with new characters for the figures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:44 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

Sky patrol is something that really needs to be revisited, but I could see shattered glass being interesting.

I would, however, prefer to see them go the direction of exploring the World's Without End parallel universe from the original 80's cartoon. I'd love to see them do that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm 

Conceptually, I've got zero interest in the tired old "mirror universe" theme; it's been done to death in nearly every form of media, and I'm not attached enough or invested enough in any of the characters in the Joe universe to get excited about seeing an evil version of Duke or Flint or whoever.

From a figure perspective, though, if it gets more Joes onto the market, I'm all for it. More custom fodder, maybe a figure or two that would be cool to have as-is; both good things. I wouldn't really want to see it done to the exclusion of other, better ideas (I have to admit, the Sky Patrol idea is much more appealing than most "revisit the past" suggestions), but if it's something they just want to throw at the wall to see if it sticks, go nuts.

Here's my question: what the hell is "shattered glass?" I read that during the con coverage and it was used as if we'd all know what it referred to; I had no idea what was being discussed, and this is the first thing I've seen that provided some context.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

DarkJedi wrote:

I'm not a fan of this concept, but as usual I would just come up with new characters for the figures.

I found a pic of SG Scarlett:

Attachments:
evilscarlett.jpg
evilscarlett.jpg [ 45.71 KiB | Viewed 1193 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 pm 

I smell a Group Project idea...

OB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm 

sgartz wrote:
Here's my question: what the hell is "shattered glass?" I read that during the con coverage and it was used as if we'd all know what it referred to; I had no idea what was being discussed, and this is the first thing I've seen that provided some context.

"Shattered Glass" is the overall name of the Transformers "mirror" universe that the Club has been creating the last few years. That's why it was brought up, to see if Joefans would have any interest.

raptor wrote:
I would, however, prefer to see them go the direction of exploring the World's Without End parallel universe from the original 80's cartoon. I'd love to see them do that.

I was trying to think of the name of that episode and my brain failed me. I think the "Worlds Without End" universe would be more appealing to most Joe fans than Shattered Glass, just because it already exists in Joe canon. If they did "Worlds Without End" I'd be down for it. I just want them to try something new rather than just updating ARAH designs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:00 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:

raptor wrote:

I was trying to think of the name of that episode and my brain failed me. I think the "Worlds Without End" universe would be more appealing to most Joe fans than Shattered Glass, just because it already exists in Joe canon. If they did "Worlds Without End" I'd be down for it. I just want them to try something new rather than just updating ARAH designs.

Yeah, this is what I'd want. Baroness in her loungewear, Baroness' body guards, the skeleton head from the DVD packs on a Steeler body with Steeler's headgear...

And I'm being serious with that, too. That was probably my absolute favorite episode when I was a kid. It blew my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm 

huh. this all sounds familiar.

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm 

MarkM wrote:
Yeah, this is what I'd want. Baroness in her loungewear, Baroness' body guards, the skeleton head from the DVD packs on a Steeler body with Steeler's headgear...

Not me. I would want them to rerelease everything that has been released so far, but with goatees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

I used this site to look it up:

www.google.com

Seriously, it's got like.. everything.

:rotfl:

- R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm 
Plug
Plug

MarkM wrote:

raptor wrote:

And I'm being serious with that, too. That was probably my absolute favorite episode when I was a kid. It blew my mind.
Totally agree. I don't see the need to create yet another parallel universe for GI Joe when one already exists tied to the mythos with lots of figure/character potential already.

No offense to those who like that idea, but there are still a metric ton of concepts/ideas I'd love to see waaaaaay before the club starts doing parts swaps and making blue stuff green and green stuff blue. Even worse, going along with the title of GJ article there, I think right now when the GI Joe brand is having a hard time finding recognition in the market place, it is the absolute wrong time to step into something that casual fans won't even recognize as GI Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

MarkM wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:

I found a pic of SG Scarlett:

mom?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm 

I had no idea what "Shattered Glass" meant when I read that topic. I learned something today.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:01 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])