Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:25 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ARAH Roadblock
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 pm 

It has been awhile since I last posted at JC. Been a year since I have posted anywhere for that matter. Oh well, water under the bridge. I hope you enjoy this custom.

I made my first custom of Roadblock in 2005 and I was never happy with him. I wanted to better capture the size of Roadblock. The original version was the same size as the rest of the figures, but the comic led us to believe he was massive, close to 7 feet tall. As my talents increased over the years, I believed I could do a better job.This one is 3/8ths of an inch taller than the 1984 Version 1 figure from Hasbro. Roadblock was modeled after Michael Clark Duncan, however I did not want him to be muscle bound. I wanted Roadblock like he was on the cover of Marvel comic issue 23. However, in all reality it would be virtually impossible for one man to carry and fire a M-2 .50 cal. He needed a lighter weapon for rapid movement. I did give him a .50 cal because it is Roadblock and I envision him using it in a bunker type setting. I also wanted to change the color scheme and go with a known military uniform and camo pattern in use during the early 90's.

Attachments:
File comment: Roadblock with his M-2 .50 cal.
roadblock_custom_front50_accs.jpg
roadblock_custom_front50_accs.jpg [ 82.25 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]
File comment: Roadblock with his M-60.
roadblock_custom_front60_accs.jpg
roadblock_custom_front60_accs.jpg [ 62.92 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]
File comment: Comparison to show the height difference.
roadblock_custom_comparison_tn.jpg
roadblock_custom_comparison_tn.jpg [ 45.86 KiB | Viewed 1509 times ]

The ARAH Nazi is out of his hole.
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: ARAH Roadblock
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 pm 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

Looks great. Nice camo, nice added details to modernize him a bit. All around good custom.

It really makes that 25th roadblock next to him look like a clown.

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Very good, I like different sized Joes such as the Fridge and Slaughter. This Roadblock is the perfect size. What's his recipe?

Tim 121RVC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:23 pm 
Formerly JFAK075

First off- great to see a new custom from you.
This is really a fantastic looking figure. You nailed the proportions. No critiques from me.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:28 am 

Fantastic custom!!!

Can we get the recipe? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 am 

Very nice.

One of the legs appears to be popping out of the socket. What's causing that?

Great paints, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 pm 

Thanks for all the comments. I am glad that it appears that I still have a little talent left in the tank.

past nastification- the leg does appear to be popping out in the picture, it is not, it is an effect of the lighting. I had the same reaction when I was looking at the photos before I posted them. I believe if you see some of the other photos on my site you can tell it isn't.

remster_9 & Tim 121RVC- for a parts list follow this link
http://www.geocities.com/calvinnason/Ro ... ustom.html

Of course he makes the 25th look like a clown, after all it is an ARAH custom. 8-O

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:15 pm 

JFAK075 wrote:
You nailed the proportions.

Yeah...that struck me about this too...especially compared to the other versions. Again, looks great!

Stormavik wrote:
Of course he makes the 25th look like a clown, after all it is an ARAH custom.

Ahhhh...the return of the original ARAH Nazi...

Some of my favorite people are action figures.

Out of date but still: http://not-your-average-joe.embarqspace.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 pm 
Plug
Plug

I like. Good parts use. Solid camo paint. Overall looks like a kick as figure. The one thing I might have done differently is to use a different set of gloves that go all the way down to the forearm and put the swivel there instead. The problem with those BBi hands is that they only really look good in one angle. If you rotate them, then they don't match up with the wrist area anymore. Using a longer gloved hand would let you match the glove directly with the forearm. Basically the same articulation. Same overall appearance. Little bit cleaner look.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:09 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

i would buy that in a heartbeat and consider it THE ROADBLOCK for my collection.

well done!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 pm 

Wonderful :D Nothing beats a well-executed RAH figure. I'd love to see some picies of him next to some other classic Joes, just to get the full impact of the scale. He's really a wonder.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:10 pm 
Snake Staked

I'm not a big ARAH fan, but your version blows the piss out of the original and the 25th version.

Impressive stuff.

My FB customs page

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

This is one super slick figure...well though out and well excecuted.

If I have to find anything to take issue with I think it has to be the photography...I'm betting a lot of the issues I'm seeing have more to do with my perception and High contrast nature of the pics.

There looks to be some issue with his Right thigh, near the holster...I'm not quite sure what it is because the figure is soo dark in that area, while the background is full white...all I really see is the silouette and it looks like somthing is missing...or like his leg is sticking out too far.

I'm prolly crazy...but I think the photo just looks too clean...so clean where I start to see photoshop work...again I really think it's just because of the high contrast.

I'm not entirely sure you needed to lengthen the torso...I'm prolly a couple steps down the ARAH nazi ladder from you...but somthing about this chest just catches my eye and makes it feel off to me...I think it's the added length...but I could be wrong...you did it so well I wasn't sure till you said you did it....and I think that's my issue with it.

Last thing I prefer the 92 RB head...I just think it looks better...especially from different angles...I don't know if it would have looked as right as the 84 head does...but I'd be interested to see if there was a determining factor in your head choice.?

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 pm 

Pluv- I understand the hands. I have always had issues with hands. I like having the swivel wrist and I just could not think of any alternatives. I am definitely open to suggestions. A custom never has to be finished. I would prefer to have larger gloves and hands, something to stay in proportion and that would protect his hands when he is running the Ma-Deuce.

Nova- I have been caught. I photoshop the hell out of my pictures. That is because of my web-site. I like the clean white background and hence the "clean" picture. The right thigh is an effect of the photo quality. The only thing that may be off is the strap for the holster on that thigh. I trimmed the top of it so that it could move. I need photo lessens I guess. The torso is built up a bit, not more than about 1/8th of inch. I did do some work on the neck and shoulders to fill them out a bit. Perhaps that is giving the odd look. Not sure. I tried to keep the proprtions the same throught the body. I actually took some measurements for this. I guess I am little OCD. As for the head choice, well I too like the 92 Roadblock head for a meaner and older look. I just couldn't find any arms to match that weren't musclebound. I wanted my Roadblock to be massive, not Mr. Universe if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:56 am 

NICE!
Thanks for pointing him out chuck he does look way better than the 25th version even tho he is Arah he does kick much ass. :-D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:25 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])