Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:59 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Serpentor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:41 am 

Here's one I've had in the works off and on for a while. Anybody who has looked at my website has an idea of Serpentor's role in my Joeverse. For those who don't, click here to see his bio http://sgtdocsjoes.50megs.com/custom3_1.html. You can go to the "Joeverse" page there and see the history of Cobra to get more details.

Now for the customs. The first one is Serpentor in his "dress uniform". I see this as the uniform he wears during official functions, such as hosting foreign dignitaries or performing his duties as ambassador. It's the uniform he'd wear more often than the armor we've grown used to seeing him in. I used Cobra Commander upper half and CLAWS Commander lower half.

The next one is my take on his armor. I used a similar recipe as a lot of others, with the Sand-Viper torso, waist, upper arms and lower legs. I decided to use the Pit-Viper upper legs and lower arms for a little different look. I ended up using the Tomax and Xamot heads on both of these (yes the scar still shows on one, but, oh well). The cape came from the rebuild Darth Vader figure (the one with the operating table). I like the look of it better than the Shipwreck (SpyTroops) one I originally had attached to him.

Now the armor in the background actually has a back-story of its own. I had an extra comic pack that I was trying to decide how to use. I knew I wanted Serpentor to be new sculpt, so how could I use his classic armor? Then it hit me. Why not use it as a display piece? So, I developed the idea that it was presented to Serpentor by Cobra Commander upon his "rebirth". He claimed it to be a show of good faith and that there were no hard feelings (yah, sure). In reality, it was meant to be a reminder to Serpentor of his defeat by Cobra Commander and to let Serpentor know who was really in control. However, Serpentor keeps it in his throne room and uses it as a motivator to find a way to break the bonds of the Brainwave scanner so that he can someday become the sole ruler of Cobra. Ok, enough typing, here they are. The last picture shows Serpentor with two Coil troops.

-Doc

Attachment:
serpentor_1.jpg
serpentor_1.jpg [ 33.61 KiB | Viewed 1497 times ]
Attachment:
Serpentor armor_6.jpg
Serpentor armor_6.jpg [ 70.03 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
Attachment:
Serpentor armor_5.jpg
Serpentor armor_5.jpg [ 95.76 KiB | Viewed 513 times ]

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Serpentor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:47 am 

Nice! I've got almost the same "armored" version - now you're making me want to go back and re-paint it with green highlights. Really makes a difference.

I'm diggin' the "dress uniform" version as well - simple idea, yet looks awesome and is something I hadn't seen or thought of before.

Cool stuff, Doc!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:57 am 
Yesterday's Technology, at work for you Today™
Yesterday's Technology, at work for you Today™

I love the empty armor on display. It really has a great look to it. Very inventive.

[Big_Tex_Wild_Phil] 12:46 pm: Hm? I'm sorry billie I was too busy playing with all my great hasbro produced product to pay attention to
what you were saying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:30 am 
Formerly Levantine

Just beautifully done. The dress uniform is a brilliant idea, I'm surprised I've never seen it before.

As was said, the old armor on display is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:50 am 
HATES Mattel

As cool as the Serpy work is (and it is very cool), I think the simplicity of swapping Scrappy heads onto the DTC Troopers makes them *very* cool figs. It's much easier to see them as special guards than as generic troopers with that weird uniform. Woot!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:58 am 

Just echoing everyone else!! A very original take on Serpentor!
This version shows an intellectual side of one of my favorite characters!

I just might 'use' this idea for a MARS take on the character! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Well done :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:01 pm 
Narceron.com
Narceron.com

Very cool all around, and a nice read on the link you provided.

Keep up the good work, :)

And yeah, those troops are pretty sweet.

Chief wrote:
Now, I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here in the forums, but I have this intense hatred of short people.*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:02 pm 
Mr. Patience

AdrienVeidt wrote:
As cool as the Serpy work is (and it is very cool), I think the simplicity of swapping Scrappy heads onto the DTC Troopers makes them *very* cool figs. It's much easier to see them as special guards than as generic troopers with that weird uniform. Woot!

I agree completly,
The Sepentor is cool too and very stealable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Very nice...a quality adapting of a common recepie.

I really like your formal dress Serpy....and the green on that cape is awesome...it's a perfect color and really pops, and is very reminicient of the V1 figs cape.

I do think I'd like to see your battle armor version with just a little somthing like a cowel...cuz right now it seems to be missing that one small bit.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:32 pm 

Thanks fellas for the compliments. Glad everyone likes them.

Quote:

I've got a couple of Coil Officers in the works using the same heads but different body parts..stay tuned

Quote:
Just echoing everyone else!! A very original take on Serpentor!
This version shows an intellectual side of one of my favorite characters!

I just might 'use' this idea for a MARS take on the character! Thanks for the inspiration

Glad I could inspire, don't hesitate to use it. I'd like to see your take on the recipe :)

Quote:
I do think I'd like to see your battle armor version with just a little somthing like a cowel...cuz right now it seems to be missing that one small bit.

I debated putting a cape on him, but I may have to try it and see how I like it. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

Again, thanks for the comments, fellas.

-Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:51 pm 

nova wrote:
Very nice...a quality adapting of a common recepie.

I really like your formal dress Serpy....and the green on that cape is awesome...it's a perfect color and really pops, and is very reminicient of the V1 figs cape.

Ok, here's the display armor with the comic pack cape. Definitely looks better with than without. Thanks nova! :)

-Doc

Attachments:
classic armor.jpg
classic armor.jpg [ 71.3 KiB | Viewed 513 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:49 pm 

I love every idea in these photos. Super work all around.

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:12 am 

great bio and custom nice job.

O RING 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:55 pm 

Glad you guys like 'em. Thanks for all the compliments. It brings a tear to my eye :)

-Doc

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm 

Pretty cool Serpy man. Nice!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:59 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])