Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:41 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: They Came From Somewhere Else...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:04 pm 
JC Podcaster

There are tales told in Mos Eisley of a pair of highly unusual droids that wander the streets annoying the locals and visitors alike. No one knows where they came from (although there are stories that they came from some far off galaxy, but that is just nonsense, right?) and ther are no records of any droids matching their descriptions ever having been made by any of the galaxy's droid manufacturers.

The small humanoid droid wears a crudely made medallion of a face around it's neck and constantly talks to it as if it were alive (could this be a replacement for some other being or machine?). It also has an annoying speech pattern in which it repeats several nonsense sounds before it speaks basic (usually making snarky remarks about peoples' appearances), and refers to everyone except it's medallion as "Buck".

The quadrepedal droid sports a fake fur exterior over most of it's casing almost as if to make it look cuddly and child friendly. This droid does not speak nor does it show any real signs of higher intelligence. It communicates via barking sounds that only the small humanoid droid seems to be able to interperet and acts much like a domesticated animal.

These two strange droids wander the city aimlessly, avoiding jawas and getting into mischief of all kinds but not really causing any real trouble so most people just tend to let them be. Speculation on their origins has even become something of a local sport with each storyteller trying to outdo each other, each story stranger and more outlandish than the last.

Twiki

Daggit

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

Last edited by The Spectre on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: They Came Frome Somewhere Else...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:09 pm 

I used to have them both, i should get Twiggy and Dagget again, nice work here Spectre.

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:34 pm 

Two of my favorite toys from my childhood (just re-acquired both over the past year) -- interesting take on them and although I appreciate how you've aged Twiki and given him a new "Theo", I would maybe give him a little more details in his face - maybe just add some paint to the eyes & little ven" thingies under his "hairline" to make him pop a bit more. Great job dirtying him up for the SW 'verse - he looks like he belongs with the rest of the 'droids.

Daggit is perfect - mine's been on the workbench awaiting some detail work (had to build him a new tail), and now I have some inspiration to get him done :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:38 pm 
JC Podcaster

Chief wrote:
I would maybe give him a little more details in his face - maybe just add some paint to the eyes & little ven" thingies under his "hairline" to make him pop a bit more.

Actually, the circular centers of the eyes and the mouth are painted a darker metallic to represent the mesh that the actor inside the suit used to see and breath through and the little lights under the helmet are painted light gray and white (despite not being sculpted into the head). I think the flash washes them out a bit though...:(

Visit me on Facebook!

Post subject: Re: They Came From Somewhere Else...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:48 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I like how the way your new droid duo interact within your verse implicitly resembles (in a rogue and less directed way) the more famous SW droid tandem. It's a nice touch and helps bring their new incarnations to life. I'm curious - and I apologize for not remembering, but has the aforementioned "Buck" made his way into your verse in any form yet?

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:30 pm 
JC Podcaster

drbindy wrote:
I like how the way your new droid duo interact within your verse implicitly resembles (in a rogue and less directed way) the more famous SW droid tandem. It's a nice touch and helps bring their new incarnations to life. I'm curious - and I apologize for not remembering, but has the aforementioned "Buck" made his way into your verse in any form yet?

Thanks, I really liked bringing these two to "life".

If I ever introduce "Buck", it won't be the Gil Gerard version, but the Buster Krabbe version from the old serials. I made a '30's Flash Gordon many years ago and plan to use another of the same head (but with brown hair) for Buck since Krabbe played both characters in the old serials :)

Old "Flash Gordon":

Visit me on Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:36 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

Those are both great updates. I remember wanting the plush Daggit and 12 Twiki when I was a kid. Brings back good memories. Do you have a site of your own that shows all your customs from your verse (other than the gallery)? I've been following your work for a long time, but I'm sure I've missed a few.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 pm 
JC Podcaster

TR101AL wrote:
Those are both great updates. I remember wanting the plush Daggit and 12 Twiki when I was a kid. Brings back good memories. Do you have a site of your own that shows all your customs from your verse (other than the gallery)? I've been following your work for a long time, but I'm sure I've missed a few.

Thanks!

I do not have my own site as I am terrible at HTML. I would love to have one eventually though. I do have a (mostly) complete archive over at www.deathstarplans2.com, go to their forums and look in the Customs section.

Visit me on Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:49 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

Spectre wrote:
TR101AL wrote:

Thanks!

I do not have my own site as I am terrible at HTML. I would love to have one eventually though. I do have a (mostly) complete archive over at http://www.deathstarplans2.com, go to their forums and look in the Customs section.

Wow! I guess I've missed more than few! Impressive gallery of customs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:41 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])