Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:12 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: EXCAL's The Templar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

It's hard to say for sure when the MEDUSA War began to change - it seemed to most that battles were erupting all over the globe one day, and suddenly the next day hardly a shot was being fired. Knighthawk knew it had not been so sudden as that, but there was no doubting that something had changed, and he had a bad feeling about it.

He knew better than to think the lack of activity over the last few months was a sign of a cease-fire or of any other peaceful endeavor. He knew what it was, alright - the calm before the storm, he nodded in agreement with the thought. In fact, Knighthawk knew more than most what had changed, and he was preparing for the worst. For Knighthawk had seen otherworldly things in the jungles of Cobra Island, and had been preparing for a new kind of war ever since.

Knighthawk had talked to only two people regarding what he had seen, because he was fearful that others - even those he trusted most - would think he'd cracked.

The first man he had called was the man they called Ghosthound. He was a former Joe that most people refused to take seriously, and who many forgot had ever been on the team at all. But he needed his expertise and insight - Ghosthound had been on the hunt ever since.

The second man he called was already an insider to Knighthawk's current problem. That man was known simply as The Templar. The Templar was one of EXCAL's original Paladin Knights, and knew the inner workings of the organization well enough to tell Knighthawk he could NOT report what he had seen. The Templar, Knighthawk knew, had lived through a similar dilemma. He had learned the hard way that nobody could be trusted.

It was during the first year of open conflict, right after MEDUSA had declared itself the successor to the Cobra Empire. The Templar had been assigned the honor of being Merlin's personal Paladin protector. Merlin, at that point, still had the ear of the EXCAL Directorship, and was viewed as a trusted advisor by those who turned a blind eye to his obvious attachment to the dark arts. The Templar, more than any other Paladin, was suspicious of Merlin's dark intentions, but did his duty nonetheless.

It was during an off duty return to his home in the Pacific Northwest that things changed. While taking a respite at an isolated campground, deep into wilderness largely untouched by man, The Templar witnessed what can only be described as a "portal" of energy open before him. Through this rift of time and space emerged several otherworldy beasts, heavily armed – alien yet magical in their own way. However they might have been described, The Templar was sure of one thing – they weren’t friendly. Using the element of surprise to his advantage, despite being unarmed, The Templar sprung into action. Before the first beast had become acclimated to his surroundings, the unarmed Paladin had been on him, twisting his head until a satisfyingly gruesome crunch was heard – yes even aliens had spines, it seemed. Knowing the second beastie would be more prepared, The Templar snatched up the first thing he saw on the first fallen foe which might help him with the second. That thing was something between a shield and an immense double bladed piece of destruction. The Templar knew at once he would beat his next opponent, for this shield was light as plastic, stronger than steel, and when twisted just right seemed capable of slicing through almost anything. Lucky for him, he had caught this one by surprise, he thought, for if he was staring down the business end of this weapon, he might already have been sliced and diced.

Thereafter, The Templar reported what he had seen to Merlin, the long and short of it is that Merlin betrayed the Templar, and tried to banish him through the portal, lest he tell his tale to others, and Merlin’s own plans become known by all. In an epic struggle before the shimmering, open portal, Merlin thought he had the Templar thrown through, when the sharp tip of the shield caught him in the side and hoisted Merlin through the gate instead. The dark wizard was swallowed whole, and the portal sealed itself shut thereafter.

The Templar has since removed himself from the active roster of Paladins, so that he may stand vigil over the Wizard’s Gate (as he has since named it), to protect this world from Merlin’s dark design, should he attempt to venture back into this world through that same portal again. The irony has not been lost on The Templar, not only that his task is not unlike that of the Templars of old, standing watch over the holy grail for the remainder of time – but also because he has not yeet moved on from his mission as Merlin’s Paladin Protector.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks for looking, and thanks for reading if you did. This is a figure I painted up for Tim - tanstys - to make a Paladin version of him. I'm hoping he digs him.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: EXCAL's The Templar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:48 am 

Your work always looks great, and this one is no exception. Love the background story on him, too.

Where did you get that chainsaw sword?

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:25 am 
Plug
Plug

From the bio I was expecting an older character. The figure lookds good. That shield would be brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 am 

Figure looks good but like pluv I was expecting older.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:18 am 

sgcaper wrote:
Figure looks good but like pluv I was expecting older.

blame the storyteller not the figure. lol. the figure is a "self-custom" of tanstoys. I wanted the story to be reflective in some way of Tim's name (Templar) and of his chosen banner as a Paladin (a variation of the Templar cross).

Maybe it would help to know that the incident with "Merlin" happened not too long ago (as opposed to the Merlin of old)?

Anyway how long The Templar stands guard over the gate is yet to be determined, but consider this the dawn of his monster-ass-kicking career, not the twilight. ;)

Also, almost forgot to credit gijoey for his Wolf man figure who has made yet another cameo in my story.

EDIT: GR - the chainsaw sword came from one of those cheap Target Fearless Forces figures. They have a handful of fun futuristic type accessories like that. I modded it by adding a peg from a Snake Eyes scabbard, and added a hole to the backback from a Snake Eyes belt to accomodate it.

Last edited by drbindy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm 

You know D, like HeadandHand's impressive works, I have to bookmark all of your works because the stories are so interesting they bear rereading over, and over. The custom screams, for both its execution, and the homage to a fellow customizer.

Also, I was looking for a possbile look for my Albanian when he is not in cuffs and not in the wear he had on the hunting planet, and your Templar gives me a great many ideas for him.

Most Awesome.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:50 pm 

Nice work as always. Really great backstory, I love how you bring these characters to life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:28 pm 

great work, as always.

especially on the Templar cross. Is that hand painted or waterslide?

It looks painted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:07 pm 

bigtattoo wrote:
great work, as always.

especially on the Templar cross. Is that hand painted or waterslide?

It looks painted

thanks guys. Yes, the cross is hand-painted. Gave it more of a textured feel, and given that particular color scheme, simply worked better than what a decal would have. I was pretty pleased with that part.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 pm 

Nice job there D Tim is gonna love it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 pm 

I almost expected to see The Stranger show up at some point in this story but I guess that's for a future entry :shifty:

Until you mentioned that this was a self custom for Tim, I admit I was expecting an older looks as well. But the magical ties and being around Merlin all that time could explain his youthful appearance. Regardless of the age of the character this is a good figure and I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm 

Hi Guys, just got home today from a 4 day roadtrip and bam, here is my newest custom, thanks o the dr bindy...I love it. Real nice figure in hand, the details are amazing and the holster strap love. Everyhing about his figure makes me happy.
Dennis does great work, never dissapoints me with wha he's done for me....
as for the story I really like it too, just bring me in sometimes to help with excal against medusa and any other bad guys we need to kick, bu send me back to my guarding Merlin so he never escapes as well....thanks so much dennis, you kick butt majorly and glad you guys like the figure too.If any of you have a figure from bindy you know it's good real good..
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:17 pm 
JC Podcaster

What is that shield made from? I know I have seen that shape before, possibly even in my fodder boxes but i don't feel like trekking out to the garage and digging through them right now LOL

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 pm 

Tim, I'm glad you are happy with the figure and the story. Sorry again that this one took awhile to get finished.

Spectre wrote:
What is that shield made from? I know I have seen that shape before, possibly even in my fodder boxes but i don't feel like trekking out to the garage and digging through them right now LOL

It's a piece of leg armor from one of the Crysis 2 alien figures. I can't tell you for sure which one because my son has them all jumbled together now in my fodder box. I don't know why that particular piece just really spoke to me as a magical type of shield/weapon combo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:30 pm 
JC Podcaster

drbindy wrote:
Spectre wrote:
What is that shield made from? I know I have seen that shape before, possibly even in my fodder boxes but I don't feel like trekking out to the garage and digging through them right now LOL

It's a piece of leg armor from one of the Crysis 2 alien figures. I can't tell you for sure which one because my son has them all jumbled together now in my fodder box. I don't know why that particular piece just really spoke to me as a magical type of shield/weapon combo.

Thanks! It was driving me crazy! I actually have that figure on the shelf behind me. It's from the "Heavy" or whatever they call the biggest alien in the line.

Very cool work on the figure.

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:12 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])