Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Red Shadows 83
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:22 pm 

Been building towards this for awhile...but I finally have all the 83 Red Shadows done, in either customs or official issue figures...

Red Vulture
The body is Marauder with a head from Angle Forge. They really couldn't have made this any easier.

Skeletron and Skeletron
The first one you see is a B.A.T. with a H.A.C.K.S head. As some of you know I debated endlessly about the guy standing next to him...which is closer to the original in look and style with a Star Wars Battle Droid body and H.A.C.K.S limbs and skull, but due to the height and lack of mass I decided I needed to look outside the box for a custom more inline with size and a more imposing nature. In the end I like both so both stay.

Red Laser
100% Club issued

Black Major
Much like Ironblood I made Black Major around 2009, with all ROC parts. Snake Eyes, MARS Trooper vest, Sgt. Stone head.

Baron Ironblood
Yes his hair is gray, but I've always disliked the smokestack helmet, so I went with something more round. The parts are all from ROC figures, Storm Shadow body and arms, Neo-Viper lower legs, Flash helmet and vest.

Kraken
Fortnite figure some paint and a water slide logo. I reasoned the 6" line version would provide a more menacing look for what is essentially a monster.

Red Jackal
Retaliation CC and a random chrome Destro head repainted in red chrome.
I wanted Red Jackal to be more than a Destro figure with a Red Shadows logo slapped on his chest. So I gave him a new look, and reasoned that he is also a member from the clan

Muton
A HISS Driver with paint and kit from Ragin Spoon. Simple but effective.

Red Wolf
I THINK a kit from AVACs Lab...could be wrong and a red Night Viper with some wrist gauntlets from Wraith.

Red Shadow
Again nearly all Marauder, but withe the Forge head.

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Red Shadows 83
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:08 pm 

impressive line up!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm 

I believe the helmet Ironblood wears is a "Ned Kelly helmet", and there might be some historical significance to its design.

But I don't no what exactly that is. And when you don't know, it's easier to see how awkward the stovepipe helmet is. The Flash helmet is an upgrade, even if it sidesteps the original design. Good call.

Wonderful set.

Your (Battle Android) Skeletron is the winner of the two. The other one looks fine, but kinda feels like The Red Shadows bought some BATS and adapted them.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm 

past nastification wrote:
I believe the helmet Ironblood wears is a "Ned Kelly helmet", and there might be some historical significance to its design.

But I don't no what exactly that is. And when you don't know, it's easier to see how awkward the stovepipe helmet is. The Flash helmet is an upgrade, even if it sidesteps the original design. Good call.

Wonderful set.

Your (Battle Android) Skeletron is the winner of the two. The other one looks fine, but kinda feels like The Red Shadows bought some BATS and adapted them.

I did not know that about the helmet.

I'm gonna have to look deeper into that.

As for Skeletron...I honestly am torn.

I've developed a love / hate for both, that I don't think I can reconcile for either properly, or come up with blend of both that I could find balance with.

Frankly I love that I was able to come up with something that nailed the original design as well as it did.
Clearly a plus.

On the downside he looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over.

And the BAT version actually solves ALL those issues and still looks great...and at the same time its a BAT with a skull on it.

I'm likely gonna keep an eye out for something else to make a 4th attempt on Skeletron (yes these are takes 2 and 3....take 1 was a full on SW Battle Droid with a skull and the Battle Droid limbs painted white, I hated that one so much I don't think I even HAVE a pic of it)

BUT if nothing comes up that strikes me as a plausible mix of the original and the BAT one...I can live with these two bad boys.

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:21 am 

Skeletron is interesting and frustrating because it's hard to shift it another direction without feeling like you're stealing from other franchises.

If you metallize the bones, then it looks like a traditional Terminator, even though Skeletron is actually an older design.

If you make the bones graphite/black then it looks like the latest (skeletal half) Terminator from Terminator Dark Fate.

Too wiry and it looks like a Star Wars Battle Droid.

Too buff and it looks like a Super Battle Droid.

When I made mine I used parts from some kind of obscure SW droid, so it wasn't a common enough one to be instantly recognized. But it looked too robot and not enough skeleton. You really did land in the sweet spot with yours. It looks like a Skeletron and a robot had a baby, just like it should.

If you want to keep evolving the idea, I suggest approaching it as an upgrade. Like a "Skeletron 2.0" or "Advanced Skeletron" or "Heavy Skeletron".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])