Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shadow-Viper
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 pm 

The Shadow-Viper always annoys me.

I mean its a repaint of the Astro-Viper (including the same gear)...which is fine if they simply called him Astro-Viper v3 and his file corresponded to it...but noooooo his reads like a spy or ninja or commando...here...

Quote:
Branch: Counter Intelligence
Training Specialty: Undercover Operations, Infiltration, Computer Hacking and Data Acquisition, Martial Arts.

No one knows exactly how Shadow Vipers get in and out of places undetected, just that when they do, they leave their mark of damage and destruction behind. They are expert computer hackers with a major grudge against worldwide government agencies. Shadow Vipers know every means of camouflage, disguise and concealment there is to blend into any environment. Before a mission, they cover themselves in a dark, powder-like substance that makes them virtually invisible to ground radar and infra-red sensors for up to 24 hours. Ample time to infiltrate and ravage any facility, not to mention grab a few top secret "souvenirs" to impress Cobra Commander. Only problem is that these guys are loyal to no one, and will steal from each other to get in good with the big guy. They are like a nasty computer virus that keeps spreading. COBRA forces are bad enough to deal with when you can see them, let alone when you can't.

So that conflict always annoyed me.

So in doing a custom I wanted a more 'Commando' vibe than astronaut vibe.

I used the ROC Flash body but painted the red parts dark gray.
The head is a POC Alley-Viper head.
The helmet is 30th Anniversary Ace helmet.
The web gear is from an Ultimate SE figure.
The back pack is an ROC Neo-Viper.
The guns are from Marauder going wayyy back IDK if they even cast them anymore.

The idea here was more commando, someone who would stay in the shadows (hence the Shadow-Viper). A character that could sneak get what was needed...and yet have the firepower to walk out if things went sideways.

The web gear evokes a more commando look and coming from SE that only reinforces that. AND it also is VAGUELY similar to the web gear of the Astro-Vipers gear.

The helmet feels like its a night vision type helmet, and also reflects back to the Astro-Viper helmet as well.

The back with flip out guns pack clearly also hearkens back to Astro-Viper backpack, with out it ACTUALLY being the same gear.

I wanted to both honor the look Hasbro sought fit to use, and yet come closer to a character's name and file card.

A more clear picture...I just can't seem to get a good one outdoors...

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Shadow-Viper
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:25 pm 

Looks great. I need that helmet

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:55 pm 

i dig the all black it really makes that helmet pop.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:48 pm 

To say that you perfected the concept is an understatement. As the world's leading hater of head-to-toe repaints, Hasbro recycling of a spacesuit just made zero sense, and irritated me more than many of the other htt of the day.

You took the idea, fully cooked it, and seasoned it just the right amount of Astro-Viper.

Great work.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:22 pm 

past nastification wrote:
To say that you perfected the concept is an understatement. As the world's leading hater of head-to-toe repaints, Hasbro recycling of a spacesuit just made zero sense, and irritated me more than many of the other htt of the day.

You took the idea, fully cooked it, and seasoned it just the right amount of Astro-Viper.

Great work.

Thanks.

I think sometimes for me half the battle (pun intended) is putting some perspective on the figure or character.

Shadow-Viper is one of these cases.
The figure itself as a straight up Astro-Viper v3 is fine. I always sorta differentiate repaints as units within the division. Sorta like Star Wars did with the Clone Troopers...all Clone Troopers with blue accents were Anakin's division, while orange was Kenobi's troops. Each with their own unit numbers.

So if the original was the Astro-Viper 101st division, and the Star Brigade version was the Astro-Vipers 201st division that this third repaint (the Shadow-Viper) would be the 301st division.

If that makes sense.

And at some point I might even make a third Astro-Viper custom in those exact colors (that's the completest OCD in me).

But for me the Shadow-Viper needed a figure that represented what the file card presented.

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])