Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gung-Ho circa 1992
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:43 am 
General Pittance Contributor

My favorite Gung-Ho when I was a kid didn't even come out until the pre-Battle Corps 1992 series but I was instantly nuts about it because GH was finally big a scary looking (unlike the iconic but wimpy looking 1983 figure).

Well it needed a 25A update too and since Hasbro has strangely not shown plans to do a different version of the yet, I figured I'd just do it myself. So I took a 5-pack GH and sculpted the sleeveless shirt on him. The colors are derivative of that '92 figure, NOT supposed to actually "match" just be reminiscent of. And the headband was always "LASER BLAST" while the hat is a trademark so I happily just kept the cover and just painted it black to maintain some continuity.

Image Image

recon with Beachhead and Rock n Roll:

USMC group shot:

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Gung-Ho circa 1992
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 am 

this figure looks excellent. Never thought I'd see it, but the results speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:48 am 

Now that's a Gung-Ho i can dig, i also liked that version of him to, but yours is waaaay better, nice choice for a re-do, super job on him.

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 am 

:-D

wow, that's some pretty high praise! Much appreciated, I'm very happy with how this custom came out.

When the idea first popped into my head I wasn't sure I could pull off the sculpting of a shirt where there wasn't one and make it convincing but I surprised myself. The experiement-with-the-putty paid off. I was trying to capture the spirit of the original figure but the assessment that it's better than that Hasbro figure is a huge compliment!

P.S. I am completely baffled why the 5-pack GH is still the ONLY version we've seen in the new line, not so much as a repaint has popped up yet... What is Hasbro waiting for? Mr. La Fitte had, what, 7 or 8 figures between 2001 and 2005? I figured he'd have a much bigger presence for the 25th Anv'y collection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:34 am 
Plug
Plug

Very cool. This is one of my favorite versions of the character and you did a heck of a job bringing him into the new line while still keeping the idea fresh. Fantastic job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 pm 

If I had three thumbs, GH here'd get them all! This is absolutely fantastic! Seriously, I'm a much bigger fan of the designs and sculpting that came at the end of the line than I am with the stuff I grew up on, and GH here was my favorite version for years and years (heads and shoulders above the original).

The biggest problem I had with the original was how they tried to fit the entire tattoo in the small area inside his open collar... which makes this version superior! GH's tat is where it should be, but we can still see the top of it peaking out!

And yeah, the headband wasn't the right move. Keeping Gung-Ho's classic cover was the right move, and the black looks good!

I've been very impressed with the turnout of innovative 25th customs of late. This one, however, hits me in a very personal place. Gimme it, please! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:54 pm 

That is a really cool looking gung ho! great work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:47 pm 

This is really awesome. I wouldn't mind one of those for myself. Damn my inability!

I really like the black hat. I think it takes a sort-of lame version of Gung-Ho and really makes him look like the character and somehow more badass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 am 

8-O

whoa

seriously, this is some profound feedback, people.

thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 pm 

great job my man and having seen him upclose took me back to 1992.

O RING 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 pm 
Snake Staked

Very nice.

The 92 Gung Ho is my favorite version (Well kinda. . . I swapped on a MegaMarine Gung Ho head and Big Boa arms) so I LOVE this.

The black hat is genius and adds a lot to this I think. The headband is just doofy.

Great job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])