Where are the 3 3/4" Harry Potter figures from?

Got a tip to share? Have a question about the hobby? Need input on parts or weapons? Have great idea for a custom figure or vehicle? Too lazy to do it, or just want to share the idea with others? All that and more goes in here.
Topic is Locked

by DanOfTheDead

Point me in the right direction if this has already been covered, but I'm having a hard time tracking down the Harry Potter people seem to be using for civilian and Indiana Jones customs. I can tell these aren't the smaller NECA figures...

Are these form an over-seas line? Are they available online?

People are making some great looking figures with these, I'm dying to find out where to get them.

Thanks!

by Chief

They're only in Europe as far as I know. The Brits seem to have a pretty big supply and I found a bunch when I was in Germany a couple of months back. They're made by the same company that made the Golden Compass figs, so I'm surprised we haven't seen them here.

by Soulgem

There's tons of them in my local stores at least. And they go on clearance as well these days. They have pretty cool accessories. They are closer to 4" than 3 3/4", which makes the kids (Harry, Hermione, etc) slightly bigger than they should be. Teenagers and civillians indeed.

by Keenan

I've gotten a bunch of these, and the playsets, from Dark Horse. Well worth getting, if you can get someone to ship them to you. Just keep in mind that the shipping is killer. :-/

by Kambei

Some of them, Harry Potter in particular, are showing up at clearence now over here. You have to be very lucky to snag the other figures from remainder shops. I managed to get DH a couple of the Sirius Black figures for the coat before they all disappeared from the local shop. Even he was having trouble finding them, and he only lives about 180 miles away. from me. The line was never licenced for America because NECA got the rights over there. Forget ebay unless you want to pay extremely high prices. As for shipping, if you are only interested in the figure and not the packaging, it would greatly reduce it. I can keep my eyes open as we have quite a number of clearence stores around here.

Chief wrote:They're only in Europe as far as I know. The Brits seem to have a pretty big supply

It is dwindling rapidly. The line did not sell very well, surprisingly, considering the fan base that Harry Potter has. But then consider that over here, when they were initially released, the figures were retailing at $14 each for a 4 inch figure. That is why action figures do not sell well in England. The sets like teh winged horses and Grawp were about $30 each and the playsets were $60. Plus tehre was little or no publicity about the line. To those who didn't know about it via teh toy collecting sites like TNI, or magazines like ToyFair, they just suddenly appeared in teh shops.

It is unfortunate, but I don't think we will be seeing another set of figures for Half-Blood Prince, or any more for Order of teh Phoenix. Which is a shame, because I particularly wanted a Bellatrix Lestrange figure and a Kingsly Shacklebolt

by yjagg

I grabed some in Jan on my trip to Dublin, the playset is really cool.

by Malcolm

I'm from Australia, and I was wondering the same thing, I've seen little harry pothead stuff around, but i know there out there, might just have to wait for the next movie to come out. Cause I want there jackets for a few agent / bond like customs I'm thinking of.

by Kambei

Malcolm wrote:I'm from Australia, and I was wondering the same thing, I've seen little harry pothead stuff around, but i know there out there, might just have to wait for the next movie to come out. Cause I want there jackets for a few agent / bond like customs I'm thinking of.

Don't hold you're breath waiting for a Half-Blood Prince wave. The figures have not sold very well. They have been even bigger dust collectors in stores than some of the Indiana Jones figures, ie Mutt Williams. I mean that literally. There has been a layer of dust on some of the ones I have bought recently.

by DarkJedi

So much for getting that Dumbledore to turn into an older Dreadnok... :(

by AutobotC5

So is there a handy checklist out there of the figures, creatures, and playsets they DID produce from this line?

by Kambei

I will try to make up a list of teh 4 inch figures

EDIT:

Carded Figures:

Harry Potter
Harry Potter with patronus
Ron Weasley
Hermione with patronus
Draco Malfoy with educational decrees
Neville Longbottom with Mimbulus Mimbletoma (plant)
Hagrid with Fang
Dumbledore with lectern
Dementor
Death Eater with disapparation effect
Lord Voldemort with Nagini
Dolores Umbridge
Severus Snape with cauldron and potions equipment

Magical Creatures Collection:

Centaur 2-pack
Luna Lovegood with Thestral
Grawp

Playsets:

Room of Requirements with Cho Chang
Gryffindor Common Room with Ginny Weasley
Hogwarts Great Hall with Professor McGonnagal
Knight Bus figure storage/carrying case with Stan Shunpike figure

Deluxe Packs:

Fred and George Weasley with briefcase
Harry with Firebolt Broomstick and suitcase
Harry, Sirius Black and Kreacher the House Elf
Sirius Black with portal and veil
Mad Eye Moody with broomstick

All of the wizard figures came with their own wands. There were also a set of Hogwarts students that did not include any extra accessories aprt from the wands:

DaDA Set: Harry, Hermione, Cho Chang, Neville and Death Eater target
Wizards set: Dumbledore, Harry, Sirius, Bellatrix Lestrange and Voldemort

Unfortunately, these figures don't seem to have sold very well, so it seems unlikely that we are going to see characters like Bellatrix Lestrange, Cornelius Fudge, Kingsly Shacklebolt, Lucius Malfoy, Tom Riddle, the Dursleys, Harry in Quidditch robes, Mr and Mrs Weasley, Remus Lupin, Tonks, Olivander, a Goblin 2-pack, Dobby the house elf and Fenrir Greyback.

I think that one on the major stumbling blocks to the figures selling well is that to get a full set when they first came out would have cost somewhere between $500 to $600 US. Plus the fact that figures like Voldemort, the Dementor and the Death Eater were not seen in any great quantity.
Last edited by Kambei on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Kambei

Went down to one of the local discount stores today to get a Harry Potter toy for an upcoming custom. Not only did I get the Thestral I was looking for at a quarter of the price they were when they first came out, but I got two humongous playset scores as well. Thought I would put the pics in this section so that people could see the two rooms:

Thestral:

I wanted the Thestral for Nightmare's horse. I picked it up off teh shelf and then noticed the two playsets:

Gryffindor Common Room:

Comes with a magnetic tip wand, a Ginny Weasley figure, two tables, four chairs, a couch, two stacks of spellbooks and a wizard radio.

Room of Requirements:

Comes with a magnetic wand, a Cho Chang figure and a board with changable pictures.

Not only all that goodness, but the two rooms stack together:

Going to use these two pieces for Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum. I have a Playmobil telescope that I am going to use to modify the left hand portion of teh upper floor into an observatory, and I have enough Harry Potter accessories to make a potions lab, and I will be having a crack at doing the Orb of Agamotto. Plus I will be adding various bits of Playmobil accessories.

Both playsets were a third of the price they were when they came out. Anybody over here in teh UK should check out their Instore and Poundstretcher shops for these. There was only one of each of teh playsets at my local one, and they said it was unlikely they could get more.

Edit: Updated the checklist I did above with another figure box set and the Knight Bus.

by iwbeta

Can we get some size comparison shots of the figures?

by Darko

Kambei, is there ANY chance you don't want your Luna figure from the Thestral set? I've been trying to acquire one for a long time.

by Kambei

iwbeta wrote:Can we get some size comparison shots of the figures?

Absolutely:

Darko wrote:Kambei, is there ANY chance you don't want your Luna figure from the Thestral set? I've been trying to acquire one for a long time.

I think so. PM sent

Next

Topic is Locked