Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:12 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I need spray paint advise
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm 

I've tried to spray paint a few vehicles in the past and I keep on screwing up. I'm looking for some advise. I keep getting cracks on my projects.

Am I too close when I paint?

Do I not wait long enough between coats?

Is it too much paint?

What I've been doing is painting vehicles outside on a cardboard box or bag. I tried to make a light coat then go back with a heavier coat later. To finish it off I've put automotive clear coat on it, to prevent scratches.

This is my latest attempt. I like most of the colours so I'm going to try again. I just need some input.

Thanks guys.

This is the vehicle in question:

Last edited by Morgardee on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: I need spray paint advise
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm 
Plug
Plug

I've heard of this happening quite a bit with Krylon Fusion. They say it is because the first layer bonds well with the plastic but the second layer doesn't bond with the first.

I've only had this problem with different brands when the temperature changes and the can of paint is either cold or really hot. Here's what I wrote in another thread about spray painting.

Quote:
You won't ever get everything on the first pass. I go over very quickly, very lightly the first time. Flip it, turn it, and hit it a second time. And then touch up any spots with a third spray. If you spray too much you start to lose detail in the mold.

Spray and walk away. Give it several hours to dry. Most of the problems I've had when using spray paint have come when I'm trying to rush things and either over spray or don't give enough time to completely dry.

The spray cans are temperature sensitive. Too hot and they spray like a soda can left in the hot sun. Too cold and propellant and the paint won't mix very well. I use to leave the can outside right next to whatever I was spraying but now I bring the cans back inside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 pm 

You said "You won't ever get everything on the first pass. I go over very quickly, very lightly the first time. Flip it, turn it, and hit it a second time. And then touch up any spots with a third spray. If you spray too much you start to lose detail in the mold."

So after spraying the first layer, hit it with a second layer right away?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:47 pm 
Plug
Plug

Morgardee wrote:
You said "You won't ever get everything on the first pass. I go over very quickly, very lightly the first time. Flip it, turn it, and hit it a second time. And then touch up any spots with a third spray. If you spray too much you start to lose detail in the mold."

So after spraying the first layer, hit it with a second layer right away?

Thanks.
The second layer is from a different direction and is really more of a second pass then a full 2nd coat. The point is that is is better to do multiple light coats then one or two heavy coats. Leave lots of time to drying between layers. and store the cans at room temperature even between spraying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:58 pm 

What about using different types of paint. On Joe Canuck I've been advised that I might have used different paint types and that can lead to "crazing" or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Check the lables on your cans. they'll usualy have a Recoat window...somthing like within 15min or after 1hr-1day...or more.

Do you really need the automotve clear? I'm going to bet that using that overtop of a consumer grade spray paint is what is causing your crackle pattern.

a good Quality spray paint shouldn't need a 2nd over coat unless you're trying to go from gloss to matte or something.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

It is currently Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:12 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])