Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:24 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crystal Ball WIP and Toll Booth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 am 
Snake Staked

The painted gold lines on his chest turned out horrible so I'm going to try gluing gold thread in their place but here's what I got so far.

And heres a guy I have had put together for about 9 months but never bothered to paint untill last night.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Crystal Ball WIP and Toll Booth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 am 

Both look good. My only suggestion it to give Crystal Ball crazier eyes. Probably with bushier, more villainous eyebrows. Whose head is that, by the way?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 am 
Snake Staked

That would be the comic pack Thrasher head I had originally used on my 25th Thrasher untill I found that Duce head.

http://thejoeindex.com/joeindex/usfigures/05/thrasher2/

I was going to use it for a Kraven custom so I painted the mustache on him and it hit me like a ton of bricks that it was a perfect Crystal Ball. I'll play around with the eye brows, I did paint his pupils red like the original figure though you cant tell it much from the pix.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:33 am 

you might get a slightly darker skin tone and add shadowing to under his eyes, It'd give him a more exotic look bringing out some more of the creep factor of the character

go dark and you get the persian look from 300 and sparrow pirate...y thing like on my Sigma Bludd
go light and he just looks like he has the flu like sigma Johnny Knoxville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:27 pm 
Mr. Patience

I'm diggen both.
I wouldn't try thread you'll just drive yourself crazy. A paint pen would be you best bet.
I'm gonna use that Tollbooth recipe and use a diffrent head. Are you gonna touch up the paint on the arms?

Nice figures

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:38 pm 
Snake Staked

Yup, as always I find more touchup work to do after I take pix for some reason. :p

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:41 pm 
Mr. Patience

Could be your taking pics at 1 in the morning.
Don't you ever sleep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am 

For some unknown reason, 25th CB looks a lot like John Cleese with a handlebar mustache to me. :-P I like the fig, TC!

Tollboth looks spot on! That to me looks like how Hasbro would make him if they released a Bridge Layer.

Great work on all!

Don't bite your nails after scratching your butt.

Jimmyboy makes no warranties, express or implied, regarding the quality of his humor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:33 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

I'm just not digging Crystal Ball...he looks too healthy.

The dude is a Gypsy...he should be dirty, and creepy, and prolly not look like he's in the best shape. I think the head makes him look too young...Like he's a teen movie version of Crystal Ball and the grey in his hair is obviously faked...not earned.

The Torso Is a solid choice, but I think he needs a bit more puch...The twins are acrobatic contorsionists...Crystal Ball may be able to make you think he's one...but there's no way he's gonna fit himself in a Prius...let alone a shoebox.

The arms are a fair choice...but he needs upper sleves...I just think the sleeveless Shirt look is totaly out of character...Buzzer's armored shoulder might have been an option. or the Storm Shadow sleeves.

Legs look like they're a pretty fair choice.

I find Drawing the design out in pencil before I paint over it really helps me to get a nice looking design. Another option if you're gonna go with the thread idea is to draw it out with a pencil...then score with an exacto blade...that way the thread will have a little place to sit and won't slide all over the place.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:23 pm 
Snake Staked

nova wrote:
I'm just not digging Crystal Ball...he looks too healthy.

The dude is a Gypsy...he should be dirty, and creepy, and prolly not look like he's in the best shape. I think the head makes him look too young...Like he's a teen movie version of Crystal Ball and the grey in his hair is obviously faked...not earned.

The Torso Is a solid choice, but I think he needs a bit more puch...The twins are acrobatic contorsionists...Crystal Ball may be able to make you think he's one...but there's no way he's gonna fit himself in a Prius...let alone a shoebox.

The arms are a fair choice...but he needs upper sleves...I just think the sleeveless Shirt look is totaly out of character...Buzzer's armored shoulder might have been an option. or the Storm Shadow sleeves.

Legs look like they're a pretty fair choice.

I find Drawing the design out in pencil before I paint over it really helps me to get a nice looking design. Another option if you're gonna go with the thread idea is to draw it out with a pencil...then score with an exacto blade...that way the thread will have a little place to sit and won't slide all over the place.

I knew I could count on you to help me out with this. ;)
Very helpful critiques with suggestions to better the custom.
As for the upper arms, BadAsh told me to wait for the new Zartan and use his upper arms for the armor. So those will be replaced. As for the head, not sure what to replace it with but BA also suggested a Darth Maul head for the sneer.
This guy will definately be revisited and all of your suggestions used.
Thanks a million for an honest and VERY helpful critique Nova. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:34 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

The figure, as is, could make for a nice dio piece about how CB projects himself to look. Maybe when he goes clubbing?

Honestly, I think the figure is very cool looking, but Nova did raise some good points. But I'd hate to see you scrap it entirely. As soon as I read Nova's critique, I started to get a this is CB when he parties at the Roxbury vibe. Maybe it's just me though (most likely the case :lol: )

I think the idea of scoring the torso to have a groove for the thread to fit into was a great idea, by the way, if you trust your exacto skills. I might have a use for that idea on a project myself, though odds are heavily in favor of fail if I attempt a scheme based on the use of thread.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Taliesin Crow wrote:
I knew I could count on you to help me out with this. ;)
Very helpful critiques with suggestions to better the custom.
As for the upper arms, BadAsh told me to wait for the new Zartan and use his upper arms for the armor. So those will be replaced. As for the head, not sure what to replace it with but BA also suggested a Darth Maul head for the sneer.
This guy will definately be revisited and all of your suggestions used.
Thanks a million for an honest and VERY helpful critique Nova. ;)

Anytime. If you've not seen it yet, Check the CB listing in Mark Bellemow's book. It's got Larry Hamma's origonal bio and that has really become my character definition for "the Serious Side" of Crystal Ball.

I've been sitting on an Evolutions Emperor Palpatine head for a while...I'm thinking Quick Kick is gonna be my donor body...I won't know for sure till I get one in my hands...but that's the start for my 25A CB Recepi.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:08 pm 
Snake Staked

drbindy wrote:
The figure, as is, could make for a nice dio piece about how CB projects himself to look. Maybe when he goes clubbing?

Honestly, I think the figure is very cool looking, but Nova did raise some good points. But I'd hate to see you scrap it entirely. As soon as I read Nova's critique, I started to get a this is CB when he parties at the Roxbury vibe. Maybe it's just me though (most likely the case :lol: )

I think the idea of scoring the torso to have a groove for the thread to fit into was a great idea, by the way, if you trust your exacto skills. I might have a use for that idea on a project myself, though odds are heavily in favor of fail if I attempt a scheme based on the use of thread.

Thanks for the feedback Dr. Bendy, but now I've got What is love stuck in my head and I'm sitting here bobbing my head to the side. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 am 

I really like your Crystal Ball and I would buy him if he came that way. Really like the work you did on that head! This is what kills me about the forums, cause I always get to the point where i'm like 'Ahh finally have the range of figures I want! Now I can break for awhile!' then I see how one like that turns out and all of a sudden I need to take a stab at it lol!!

PS: Just so everyone understands, my avatar is my Halloween costume this year and not how I walk around my house!!

PSS: And I am definitely not wearing it to the Watchmen premerie. Maybe.

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/lronWill/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 am 

wow man there looking good and you made CB look good.

O RING 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:24 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])