Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: John Stewart, Alfred, Falcon, and a couple WIPs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 pm 

Managed to finish a few WIPs today (my only day off for a while.)

For John Stewart, I've been waiting on extra Guardian figs so I could finally build him. The Torch body I used for Hal was too skinny for John, IMO, so I wanted something bulkier but still lean-looking. Once I got a Namor fig in hand, though (Guardian with new lower legs & lower arms), I knew I found the perfect base for John.

Just shaved/sanded off the ankle wings and that's all it took. The flash washed out the logo, but it's just the standard emblem, printed on photo paper to give it a bit of a "glow"

-- Don't know if I'll make many more Lanterns, though. I'll probably make a Kyle eventually, and an Alan Scott, but that'll be it.

Alfred came about after all the discussion in my "Streets of Gotham" post.

Wish the legs weren't so wrinkly - Alf should have a nice crease on his pants & sleeves. But this will have to do for now.

Head: VvV Gung-Ho
Torso/arms: Henry Jones, Sr
Jacket: Golden Compass Sam Elliot modded
Legs: ROC CC

Falcon's been waiting as long as John Stewart for a decent base body. Again, decided that Guardian was the most suitable base - muscular without being to bulky.

Head: ROC Ripcord
Wings: Toy Biz Falcon (Avengers United version)
Redwing: Toy Biz Falcon (Marvel Gold version)

Then there's Bucky Barnes as Captain America. I was [LASER BLAST] about him in the Marvel Universe Figs thread because he was just so tiny compared to other figs. Here he is with Cap (normal size for my collection) and Factory Moon Knight (dwarf-sized compared to my other figs):

Then I added some height to his mid-section (which is proportionately shorter compared to everyone else) and he turned out much better:

Looks a bit long in the torso, but he actually matches up with regular Cap's proportions quite well now. If I had the right paints, I might lengthen the shield emblem, but if I could do that, I wouldn't bother with this fig, I'd just make a custom from scratch. He does look better once the holster's on, though -

For now, I'm just happy that the height is decent. I'll likely replace his holster with one that's more practical for the MJ .45 that I'm using. And I still need to sand the torso extension a bit and re-paint, but at least I managed to salvage something. I'm also working on something using the totally ridiculous Skrull Giant-man:

So now I won't have to shell out another $30 to get Goliath and "Iron Man - with new head!!"

There's still plenty of WIPs on the workbench that are nearing completion, but it'll be a while before I can get to them. Until then - cheers!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: John Stewart, Alfred, Falcon, and a couple WIPs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:29 pm 
Plug
Plug

Alfred is much improved. Glad you tackled that one finally.

Falcon has me jealous because I can't find a Guardian figure and you're finding enough to customize with. A really good custom here though and great use of the Ripcord head.

Bucky Cap is so much better now then in the package.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:40 pm 
King of Daikaiju

Completely agree that the Bucky-Cap is so much better now, than the factory version.

And as much as I never really liked Green Lantern or the Green Lantern Corps, I really like your group of customs. They all have turned out great so far, and I would even consider buying them if I saw them in the store.

Alfred is a great update to your original stand-in. Looks damn near perfect, even with the slightly wrinkly pants.

things aren't as pretty... on the inside"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:13 pm 

The butler coat on Alfred takes the cake! Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

I like them all but Alfred.

He seems sloppy for Alfred. Maybe a leg Swap with rock CC or something. Just to make him feel crisp and sharp in his butler tux.

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:02 pm 

danielb wrote:
I like them all but Alfred.

He seems sloppy for Alfred. Maybe a leg Swap with rock CC or something. Just to make him feel crisp and sharp in his butler tux.

Dang, Dan - why do I even bother with my write-ups? :P

Chief wrote:

Wish the legs weren't so wrinkly - Alf should have a nice crease on his pants & sleeves. But this will have to do for now.

Head: VvV Gung-Ho
Torso/arms: Henry Jones, Sr
Jacket: Golden Compass Sam Elliot modded
Legs: ROC CC

But yeah, I totally agree. The best solution right now is to use an SDCC Destro, but I only have two (one for Two-Face), so unfornately, Alfred will just have to wait until Hasbro uses that mold for something more accessible.

Here's a pic of completed Bucky-Cap:

Attachment:
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG [ 194.87 KiB | Viewed 794 times ]

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 pm 

Bucky Cap and Falcon are especially slick. That Marlon Ripcord head is great for Falcon! I dig the GL trio too. Are Guy and Kyle on the way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:07 am 

nice bunch of customs dan, i think Falcon and Stewart are the best of the bunch.You did make the bucky cap better , I have never seen one yet besides in your otherpost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 am 

That's what I get for not reading....

I actually couldn't recall if it where RoC CC or "the dr.' legs that where smoother, upon checking my figures, the Dr's legs are all strappy so it wasn't them... damn, I know I have straight pants somewhere...

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Not sure why I didn't see this one before, but I like everything in this thread Dan. If I get around to making an Alfred, I thought I wanted to make one based more on Michael Caine's version, but your take here has me re-thinking that. Especially since I have an Infinite Heroes Joker, whose coat and tails might work well for this kind of look (I know I wouldn't trust my hand at modding a GC coat as well as you did).

I'm trying to think of lower legs that would answer your concern about the wrinkles, cause I'd swear I've seen some straighter than this also. Maybe from the Wolverine Origins line? I used Sabretooth lowers with CC uppers for my civvy KH fig. But I can't recall if they were less wrinkly. I think ROC Storm Shadow uses the same mold as CC. If ol' Alfred liked himself some bell bottoms, you could go with Shipwreck. lol.

Also - question: in the one pic is that the diecast 1/18 TV show Batman I see to the side, or is that a custom, or something else? I ask because I passed up the chance at getting one for $19 (the diecast version). Between not knowing if the look worked for a modern batman, and not knowing if it actually would allow a fig to sit well in it, I passed. But now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have. With your awesome bat cave, it looks sweet as a prop if nothing else.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:06 pm 

Thanks, Dennis -

Yeah, that's the Hot Wheels 1:18 version of the TV Batmobile - I picked it up when it first came out (it was like $40, but I had to have it). And even though it won't actually seat any 1:18 figs (except maybe a Microman), it's still a must-have for any 4'x2'x7' Batcave dio/playset ;)

And Sabretooth's pants are just as wrinkly - and are more jeans-like. I may just have to bit the bullet and find another SDCC Destro for Alfred unless we get some news of a new fig on the horizon using that mold.

EDIT: -- just found some dude on Ebay that is selling an SDCC Destro 2-pack for $20 w/ free shipping?!?!?! Problem solved :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 pm 

Chief wrote:
Thanks, Dennis -

Yeah, that's the Hot Wheels 1:18 version of the TV Batmobile - I picked it up when it first came out (it was like $40, but I had to have it). And even though it won't actually seat any 1:18 figs (except maybe a Microman), it's still a must-have for any 4'x2'x7' Batcave dio/playset ;)

And Sabretooth's pants are just as wrinkly - and are more jeans-like. I may just have to bit the bullet and find another SDCC Destro for Alfred unless we get some news of a new fig on the horizon using that mold.

EDIT: -- just found some dude on Ebay that is selling an SDCC Destro 2-pack for $20 w/ free shipping?!?!?! Problem solved :D

Maybe you can make me a 4'x2'x7' Batcave set, and it will encourage me to go pick up that Batmobile? Right next to it at TRU they had a Batcyle w/ sidecar in the same kind of packaging, but it was in 1:12 scale, or I'd have nabbed it for sure.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:12 am 

Cool. I like them all, even have my favorite Lantern.

Alfred works for me. Sure I can see the issue with the legs, but unless someone comes out with a figure with the legs like that of the Dress Blues Gung-Ho from the RAH line, where the pants are straight and tight, those'll do.

The coat accessory was genius. That nailed it.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 pm 

Thanks Cap!

How's this for an updated Alfred? (still have to color-match his crotch....)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 am 

The new Alfred legs scream. Totally sorted that one out!

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])