Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:30 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Futureshock:2o5o>Wastelanders...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm 
Snake Staked

Futureshock:2o5o>Wastelanders...

This is coming in as part of the update that I said I would do. I think it might be best if I do this sort of catch-up in segments this time, as opposed to a single giant post. :shifty:

My current focus has been on the Wastelands and the Free Cities that are spread throughout Neo-Pan. By that logic, I'm calling this edition Wastelanders.

Neo-Pangaea (Earth), 2o5o

(The following figure has seen some upgrades since these shots were taken. I need to do a thorough photo shoot before things can be actually current. Meanwhile, these entries should serve as a bridge between all my previous posts, and my most recent stuff.)

If there is a "hero" to my story-verse, it would be this fella. That's because it's a "self-custom", LOL. Of course I'm the bad-ass of my story. Basically, this is my character...

(First, this is just a PS comic rendered from a pic of the actual figure...)

Bambaku "Bam" Zenzou

And now the bio and figure...

(In alternate gear)

Name: Bambaku Jara Zenzou
Common: Bam
Affiliation: None (travels with the N'damu tracker, Annanaya Escapana)

Profession: Free Mapper (cartographers that make on-sight maps of the treacherous Wastelands)
Secondary: Claim Jack (individuals hired to retrieve lost valuables and artifactual items from the Wastelands)

Specs: Cartography and Red Mapping, Post-Cataclysmology /History, Bush Survival, Recon Scout/Sabotage, Explosives Tech, Robotics Tech, Mechanical Engineering, CQC/Martial Arts, Melee (esp. Bladed weapons/Thrown Weapons), Marksman, Mountaineering, Walker Tech

Character Notes: Awareness (never surprised), Danger Sense (keenly intuits any threat), Mechanical Inclination, Natural Athleticism, Extreme Reflexes

"Raiders figure he's just some easy slag mapper, so they tend to rush on him... Foolish move. This guy's got deep killer programming-- an ex-Fed Elite Commando and 777's Walker ace-- he's got skills that make for some nasty surprises for bush raiders and slavers. That's your apex predator there. Real death juice... He travels around with some Indian woman-- no, no, as in feathers... but you really wouldn't want to annoy her either..."
-- Duncan Coldwater, Alleged Acquaintance, Free City Abyssia, Minarus Province

"I ain't never seen nothing like that! He was everywhere at once-- and nowhere!"
--Sando Cain, Free Profiteer, Free City Abyssia

"[Bambaku] what People of Sun call Mah Gok. It mean war spirit... Bambaku very special to Mantu... Mantu mean many, many angel..."
--Annanaya Escapana, Companion, Free City Abyssia, Baghrat Province

NOTES: Once again I make my use of the Marvel SHS Namor body, one of my favorite base male bodies to customize. The head is actually a heavily modified version of that 25th Anni' Stalker, with the beret sanded into a bald head. The garb, is course, is hand-crafted headandhand stuff, and the weapons are largely modified Marauder.

These pics are a bit outdated now, but again, this is all by way of update. I'll bring you the fresher version as soon as I can get some decent pics.

Now, I did dare say that this was a self-custom...

Thanks...

James Zenn
headandhand

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Futureshock:2o5o>Wastelanders...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 pm 
Formerly JFAK075

Ha! Does look like you. And it's great to see you posting customs again.
Looking forward to seeing what else you've been working on.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I love everything about this custom. that you started with a Stalker head? holy crap. That you nailed the likeness? perfect. The photography and posing of your work is always so dynamic. And the depth of the world described so simply with the internal references within each quote? I just love the nuanced way this is established.

I also dig the comic styled pic. I used to have a program that I liked to do that with, but haven't messed with it in a long time, not since I used to make Johnny West customs. I'll venture to say this post inspires me to try it out again, this time in Joe form.

I like that you made your character the star, but showed reservation in not making him a superman (something I've had a hard time avoiding, lol).

Bad-ass in every way, pardon my french.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm 
Snake Staked

Thanks, John. Glad to be back.

Thanks for interpreting the story, Dennis. I can count on you, brother, and that's real. As for my conservation of superhuman abilities-- yeah right! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:48 pm 

Loving the gritty, harsh look. I'm usually not one for full softgoods clothing on small scale figures (except for capes, skirts, etc) but it actually works very well here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:00 pm 
Plug
Plug

The likeness is close enough. Normally I hate fraying on cloth clothes at this scale but I think it works for your universe. But I have to ask, a purple scarf? :-D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm 
Strong Fat Tongue

pluv wrote:
But I have to ask, a purple scarf? :-D

I like the purple scarf. Too often you get all these drab post apocalypse characters, which I don't mind, but the purple is a nice splash of color.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 pm 
Snake Staked

pluv wrote:
The likeness is close enough. Normally I hate fraying on cloth clothes at this scale but I think it works for your universe. But I have to ask, a purple scarf? :-D

Hahaha... :shifty: ...I do appreciate the implication, LOL.

The purple tint is purely a lighting effect; it's actually black. I liked it at the time... :-)

Kilcarr,

Thanks, brother, but yeah, it's just black, LOL. You make a very good point though.

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:16 pm 
Donor
Donor

Oh hells yeah, was just thinking man when is he going to post up some more custom goodness.

Well here it is, everything about this custom and your verse rocks. I would not change a thing, great work bro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:45 pm 
Snake Staked

Dave! Thanks, my friend.

I intend to hit you with a PM here soon, brother. Thank you for the kind words.

Pluv,

That still cracks me up about the scarf...

And by the way, a while back I had posted a merc in a "half-shirt". Well, that was unintentional also, LOL-- just FYI. (That shirt just never fit properly, and because it's supposed to be the Wastelands-- well, you get it.) But, whew, allow me to clarify-- that ain't me, brother. LOL.

Just FYMFI, man, LOL!

(lil' purple scarth...) :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:26 pm 

too funny. reminds of me of when Chief posted a custom with a purple cape then said it came from a shirt he cut-up :shifty: (yeah, yeah, he claims it's blue and just bad lighting). lol!

I forgot to mention it the first time, but I think Duncan Coldwater, Sando Cain, and Annanaya Escapana from your story are three of the best fictional action character names ever created! It's been awhile, so forgive my memory, but are those three new names, or have they appeared in the pages of Futureshock previously?

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm 

Good to see you posting new stuff again. I'm always impressed at anyone who can make decent looking 1:18 clothing. At lot of attempts I've seen make the figures look like the Michelin Man. I forget, are you old figures in the archive? If not, you should do some repostings.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:12 am 
Snake Staked

Dennis,

Wow, you're very cool, brother. LOL. Thank you.

The names are actually of rather recent characters, so they are new-- with the exception of Duncan Coldwater, which had been around at the time of my previous posts. So it's possible that you may have heard that one before, although I don't recall. I really do enjoy generating those names though-- and Annanaya, incidentally, is one of my latest favorites. I plan to post that character/figure soonly, also. :-)

Darko,

Thanks, man. You know I'm a big fan of your stuff.

As for the scale garb, thanks, man. I do the best that I can, but it can be a tricky task, that's for sure. Sometimes I wish that I had about three more fingers for it, but I'll bet we all probably say that about this hobby in general.

I hear you on the "Michelin Man" though, LOL-- and that's something that I think definitely does take some technique to avoid-- but it can be done.

Thanks again, guys, and here's another shot that will hopefully bring you yet closer to current (with this particular character at least-- but, it's just a preview, since I do plan to eventually update this with a new post...)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:32 am 

That enormous cod piece terrifies me. 8-O

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:38 am 
Snake Staked

Haha!

...As well it should! :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:30 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])