Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

A custom needs the following to be a custom:
a little paint 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
all painted 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
parts modification 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
part swapping 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
just a different characterization 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
all of the above 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
any of the above 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
none of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Re: What do you consider a custom?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm 
LOVES Mattel

JBYRDD wrote:
I voted " any of the above ", IMHO i think anything you do to a figure makes it a custom, after all, altering the base , adding paint, swapping out heads, limbs and accessories changes it, so there for it is a custom, no matter how little or how much. :-)

I'd vote "any of the above" were it not for the "just a different characterization" option.. because that does not actually MODIFY the toy.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm 
Snake Staked

So the rhetorical "Who lays their own eggs?" was not sufficient.

:-(

Any of the above...

Quote:
Cap wrote:
Just my feelings on the matter.

I suppose this is just it, because it most nearly recommends following one's feelings here-- one's own sense of self, and of expression... that's being alive.

(It is actually in this context that I really do have to answer "Any of the above", including the mere re-characterizations-- since by that same grace, the potential there for an equal expression of Creation is still tantamount).

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:17 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

I don't know, even with "just a different characterization", people usually at least give them a different gun than they originally came with. That's not exactly customizing in the sense of the word we know, but it's is still customizing to and extent.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:10 pm 
Plug
Plug

For me a head swap or any part swap is a custom. Paint is a custom even if it just repairs a factory flaw. Modifications and sculpting and adding bits and taking bits off are all customs.

While I appreciate re-characterizations, I don't consider them customs. Mike T and General Hawk really influenced how I perceived certain figures. Mike T especially altered how I used those figures in my Joe-verse. But if that figure were put in critiques I'd urge the person to make at least some kind of alteration that fits the new characterization.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I voted for "any" of the above, but I agree with Jay and pluv that just changing the purpose of a figure isn't really a custom. I custom made some Iron Man figures. But then I also have a set of untouched production Iron Man figs that I use for props, Hall of Armor, etc... Those are useful to me, and I may or may not call them something other than the canon story-line. But those aren't customs.

It's a simple rule, I think. If you can buy the same thing from the store, in the same exact way, it's not a custom. If it's not available without making a physical change in some way, no matter how small, it is a custom.

Certainly that leaves open wide debate for the depth of the custom, but that's why we use the terminology we do, LBCs, etc...

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:59 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Per the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, to customize is to:
to build, fit, or alter according to individual specification

I think the word 'alter' is what's key for us here, so that *any* change to a fig defines it as customized.

I think that's a pretty good start, but....
Jay wrote:
To me, it's everything listed except "just a different characterization". That's not customizing, that's repurposing.
The only exception is when it's painted/modded to fix a factory flaw. For example, fixing a droopy pupil on a 25th Joe because the paint application wasn't angled properly in the factory, or cutting away some uncut plastic "flash" in an elbow joint. Those qualify more as repairs than customizing.
Re-accessorizing, I don't consider customizing either...

I'm pretty much fully in agreement with that.

I'm not sure why...but I just don't really count things like fixing eyes, or touching up hair lines, or even painting buckles as customs.... Part of it is because I don't think I would immediately be able to tell what was done....Part of it is because it strikes me as overly anal-retentive...it goes along the lines of hermetically sealing modern figures in acrylic cases and assigning them a bar code that guarantees their condition. It just doesn't have the "heart" that I think is inherent in customizing.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:10 pm 
HATES Mattel

J_Man wrote:
I don't know, even with "just a different characterization", people usually at least give them a different gun than they originally came with. That's not exactly customizing in the sense of the word we know, but it's is still customizing to and extent.

I can't agree with 'gear-swapping' as qualifying as a custom. The simple fact that guns and hats and vest are removeable and are intended to be so by Hasbro means that swapping stuff around is part of the intended use of the toy, which one must go against in order to customize. It's perfectly plausible that Duke could pick up and use RoadBlock's street-sweeper minigun in-continuity, so simply swapping guns around and calling it a new character doesn't qualify as a custom any more than putting a HISS Driver in the Mean Dog customizes the Mean Dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:53 pm 

I think it includes everything except the re-characterization.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 pm 
Donor
Donor

I feel like what ever your skill level is, be it painting, sculpting, cast work, creating back story's. Its all one big canvas, you decide what style and how deep you want to go.

Customizing is a sense of making one character into another, or bringing your vision of a character to life.

If you do nothing to the figure, but open it from the package and set it on the shelf, you are a collector. However if you do anything that would change its appearance, its customizing.

We all did head swaps back in the day, taking the screw out of the back of the figure was the first step to customizing.

I would say the biggest problem when talking about what is a custom, is the talking. More yapping and less custom work. Not said in a bad way, just saying.................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 pm 

I feel that anything that makes you feel like you made that character your own makes it a custom! I do think there are different levels of custom. As a kid I would always rename guys that I didn't know or didnt relate to, but like the mold and details. If you come up with a history and bio for a charactor you only re-accessorize (like swapping packs, guns, i.e. ....tools of the trade if you will, I count that as a low grade custom, cause thats where I started. Dont think I'll post those though, lol.... Can't customizing be something different for each of us? Our customs are! I bought a 25th para viper and you know what i saw? I saw new gear to give black Ripcord his old gear back, and I saw fodder for a future Beachhead....But the fig is nice enough that I really considered a more realistic repaint and a more personal bio, but he'd stay a paraviper..Just an idea to show the diff.

What did you see when/if you picked him up?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:58 pm 

If you take Duke and cal him Hawk, that's not a custom.
If you call him Hawk and give him a new gun, that's not a custom.
If you give him Mindbender's cape, Cobra Commadner's helmet, some spy troops armor, Nemesis Enforcer wings... he'd probably look silly. That might be a custom. Iffy.

If you take a figure with an eye that came out of the box painted wrong and fix it, it's not a custom.
If you take that same figure, take a magic marker, and change it's hair color, that's a custom.

Anytime you swap parts, it's a custom.
If you do any sculpting, you darn well better belive it's a custom.

If you cut off anything... maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:18 pm 

chainsawviper wrote:

Including part of your finger when the plastic gives way too easily and a scalpel blade slices through the all too malleable flesh? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:37 pm 
card back fetish
card back fetish

I said yes to the first 4, but I don't really see just a recharecterization as a custom. If it's a custom that is recharecterized that is different.

Can LBCs be customs, you bet.

Come see the "What I'm Working On" posts every Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:32 pm 

Kambei wrote:
chainsawviper wrote:

Including part of your finger when the plastic gives way too easily and a scalpel blade slices through the all too malleable flesh? :lol:

Depends.

Did you bleed on the figure? :-P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:04 pm 
HATES Mattel

chainsawviper wrote:
Kambei wrote:
chainsawviper wrote:

Depends.

Did you bleed on the figure? :-P

That gives 'battle damage' a whole new meaning.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])