Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Monster Squad - revisited (pic heavy!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm 

Ok, many of you have seen these before, but I've tweaked quite a few of them and have a new guy to show.

So a bit of an intro -- I'm one of those rare guys that actually loved Van Helsing - sure it was corny, but it was fun. And I'm perfectly cool with Stephen Sommers "LASER BLAST" all over the literary origins and morphing the old Universal monster movies into an action-adventure flick. I get really irritated with folks who [LASER BLAST] about remakes/retellings and how it ruins the story, blah blah -- but I digress.

A while back, I took all of my "Monster Hunter" customs, and started putting them together on the same team. Likewise with the bad guys - led by Dracula, of course, since he pops up in every modern monster tale anyway. These guys are in the same 'verse as my Marvel/DC customs - and sometimes even interact with my Joes and other non-superhero characters (Adventure Team, Lara Croft, etc.)

Anyway - let's start with the bad guys.

Dracula: Kind of an Amalgam of how he's appeared in every other story - with some Bela Lugosi mixed in. Although he looks nothing like the Marvel version, his character borrows a lot from that. He's an evil mastermind and well-versed in the black arts, which allows him to build his team of supernatural villains and maintain control over their will if need be.

Speaking of asserting his will, Dracula managed to bamboozle Imhotep into serving him -- he resurrected the ancient sorcerer in exchange for Imhotep doing Dracula's bidding. And to prevent the Mummy from getting too powerful, Dracula did not resurrect him completely, hence the decayed skin and whatnot...

I made this guy today -- I've been wanting to make a Mr. Hyde for my Masters of Evil team, but didn't want to deal with putting clothes on a big figure. Then as I was watching Van Helsing (and the cartoon prequel) last night, I got the idea to make Mr. Hyde from the flick. Although this will still be Dr Calvin Zabo from the Marvel U, his look is based on the Robbie Coltrane-voiced CGI character from the flick. Just a comic pack Hulk with some paint, a cut-up t-shirt, and the cloak from a Prince Caspian werewolf fig.

This next dude - I don't even have a name for yet. He's basically just Drac's muscle - a merciless killer who enjoys his work too much. Any ideas for a name?

Lastly is Michael Corvin (the Lycan/Vampire hybrid from Underworld) -- although he started out as a hero, the conflicting nature of his genetic makeup made him vulnerable to Dracula's will. He is unable to revert back to human form, and serves Dracula loyally.

And now the heroes:

Their leader, Gabriel Van Helsing. An immortal with extraordinary combat training due to centuries of warfare and fighting the supernatural. He has a wealth of knowledge about all supernatural creatures and is an excellent tactician.

My old VH custom used a Wolverine Origins Hugh Jackman head, but it was a pain in the ass - the hat wouldn't fit right and it really didn't look anything like Jackman anyway. So I put a movie Duke head on instead. Mainly because the hat fits perfectly, and it's not like he wouldn't have gotten a haircut by now. Besides, I usually keep him covered up with the hat & scarf anyway, so likeness doesn't matter.

Next is Van Helsing's good friend for the past 150 years or so, Frankenstein's Creature. He prefers to go by the name "Adam" though.

Although he was created artificially and has superhuman strength, his compassion for all living things often leads to him being considered the "most human" of the team.

Van Helsing's partner is Selene (because she reminds him of his dead girlfriend, Anna, for some reason.... :shifty: ) After the events of Underworld: Evolution, she no longer possesses any of the vampires' weaknesses and is actually more powerful than all vampires save Dracula. Her former love, Michael, betrayed her by turning to Dracula's side. She has tried many times to turn him back, but has all but given up hope.

Rounding out the team is Jack Russell - aka, the Werewolf by Night. Not one of the Lycan race, his lycanthropy is based on an old family curse. Although he has complete control over his transformations now and retains his human intellect while in this current form.

Then we have some "guest-stars" that help out when needed based on their specific areas of expertise (not shown: Moon Knight, because c'mon -that's a given :P )

Finally, we have the former Gargoyle, Goliath. I love this figure - I don't know what it is. I actually made wings for him, but decided that I wanted to make him an even more tragic character, so I stripped him of his wings and worked this bio for him: Goliath sought aid from a sorcerer to turn him human so he could be with his beloved Elisa Maza. He was halfway through his treatments when his clan of gargoyles was attacked by an unknown entity, destroying all the clan members, and killing Elisa in the process. Goliath, while still tremendously strong, had lost his wings and as such could not reach the battle in time, arriving to have his beloved die in his arms. Turns out the sorcerer from whom Goliath sought help was actually Dracula in disguise. Dracula wagered that if he could break Goliath's spirit, he could harness his vast strength for his own nefarious purposes. However, he did not expect Goliath to have such a strong will, and was unable to turn him.

Although Goliath was devastated, he continues to fight against evil. His wings gone, he uses a cape made out of special material (provided by his friend Bruce Wayne) to glide through the air from rooftop to rooftop. He is still incredibly strong, though not as powerful as he was in gargoyle form. And although he enjoys the camaraderie of his new team, he steels himself against getting too close to anyone emotionally, so that he doesn't place his new "clan" in mortal danger.

And one final group shot:

Anyway - if you made it through all that, thank you for checking these guys out :D

Cheers!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Monster Squad - revisited (pic heavy!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
Snake Staked

AWESOME, AWESOMER, and AWESOMERER ER...ER

Every figure here is pure gold, and gijoey is going to flip out when he sees them LOL!

Great work as always Chief.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 pm 

Great job on the customs. I love each one. I have to say though that I thought I was going to see customs of the Monster Squad. The late 80s film about some children who fight Dracula and the forces of darkenss with the help of Frankenstein's creature and an old German.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm 
Donor
Donor

amazing as always

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

Chief, I've always been a huge fan of your customs. But this time I am equally as intrigued with your backstories. I'd love to see these worked into a dio-story of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 pm 

Chief wrote:
This next dude - I don't even have a name for yet. He's basically just Drac's muscle - a merciless killer who enjoys his work too much. Any ideas for a name?

Igor. Lifelong servant of Dracula and subject of his experiments in the black arts. As a reward for his loyal service he was "cured" of his deformity (caused by Dracula as a way to obtain his servitude) Igor has been given the wings, claws and fangs of a bat as well as increased strength and agility. However he is still beholden to Dracula for a serum that maintains his semi-human form.

Or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 pm 

Actually, MS - I was already exploring the possibility that he was a mutated Igor (his head reminds me of the VH Igor a bit) - the only thing that kept me from going that direction is that Igor is a cowardly little weasel and this guy is a no-fear killer. Still, I haven't tossed out that idea completely. And now that two of us thought of basically the same thing, I may have to do some more thinking...

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 pm 
Mr. Patience

Damn it Mr. Hyde? are you freaking kidding me. Are you buggen my house and stealing my ideas?
Fricken hell man nice job. crap crap crap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 am 
DarkJedi'd

Chief wrote:

Caltice
Tjindan
Kalibak

Bas Celik-(Serbian) A powerful and very evil winged man whose soul is not held by his body and can be subdued only by causing him to suffer dehydration
Dhampir-(Balkans) Hybrid between a human and a vampire
*Grigori-(Christian) Fallen Angels
Impundulu-(Southern Africa) Avian, vampiric lightning spirit
Jaculus-(Medieval Bestiaries) Winged serpent or small dragon
Kamaitachi-(Japanese) Wind spirit
Leanashe-(Irish) Possessing spirit or vampire
Moroi-(Romanian) Vampiric ghost
Plakavac-(Slavic) Vampire created when a mother strangles her child
Rabisu-(Akkadian) Vampiric spirit that ambushes people
Skrzak-(Slavic) Flying imp
*Strigoi-(Romanian) Vampire
Strix-(Roman) Vampiric bird
Vârcolac-(Romanian) Vampire or werewolf

or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vampires_in_folklore_and_mythology

Off Topic, but I like this one:

Wampus cat (Cherokee) - Human-cougar hybrid :shifty:

"Wanna Wampus?" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:24 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

well, I like the new guy, but Imhotep and "Adam" are both award winning level customs. My personal fave is still probably Selene though. Even though a lot of new parts have come out since then, from which to draw fodder, she's still top notch.

EDIT: would it be bad form to say that the Channing head's deuche-baggeryness fits the character of Van Helsing? Yes? Nevermind then... (p.s. I like the figure though, it rocks) :lol:

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

Last edited by drbindy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 am 

Love 'em all! Image

Reminds me that I really need to finish my own werewolf custom.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 am 

Chief wrote:
Actually, MS - I was already exploring the possibility that he was a mutated Igor (his head reminds me of the VH Igor a bit) - the only thing that kept me from going that direction is that Igor is a cowardly little weasel and this guy is a no-fear killer. Still, I haven't tossed out that idea completely. And now that two of us thought of basically the same thing, I may have to do some more thinking...

Thanks guys!

Could be that one of the side effects of whatever Dracula did to him caused him to go all psycho. Like maybe Dracula played with Jekyll's formula and mixed it with his own vampire blood or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:35 am 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

I didn't care for the VH movie mostly due to the story, and the lack of characterization. (It was gorgeous though)

anyway you have definitely made up for that.

my only suggestion is to go through DJ's list and make all of those bad guys, because your team of good guys would own your team of bad guys.

possible additions
Anita Blake, more good gals on the team...

and I really want t o see the creature from the black lagoon. If you don't want to do one get GI Joey to do it... :-P

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

the wings on your minion -- is that just hot glue on plastic? that's awesome, whatever you did --

my favorite is hyde -- that's the one that was totally 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' to me --

dude, do you ever sleep?

as always... all awesome chief...
:-x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:23 am 
DarkJedi'd

I realized I didn't comment on the figures. Ooopsie...

-Hellboy: Looks good. I think it's a custom, but it looks retail.
-Ash: No critique, another well done.
-Blade: Not a fan of the open mouth head sculpt. It reminds me of the Blacula movie, which I personally struggled to get through.
-WBN: Looks good. Nothing to critique.
-Selene: I love Underworld customs. Forget Twilight, Underworld is all the Vampireness I need. (Hmmmm...Sophia Myles)
-Goliath: I never watched the show, but am familiar with it. Extra points for working him into the mix.
-Adam/FC: I like this one. The chest detail is really cool.
-Van Helsing: The Duke head just throws this one off for me. Everything else works. I guess we'll see how many duke head//bad part/turds show up in that category of the nominations next year.

-Dracula: Nice work. I just wish there was some red on the interior of the cape or a nod to the Bela Lugosi outfit on the torso
-Imhotep: I like the halfway between worlds way you have him. You could have gone with some bandages on him, but the regal look works.
-Mr Hyde: A most inspired custom. I like the paint apps and the how it came together look it has. So simple, yet highly effective.
-Unnamed Guy: This one feels like a WIP. I'm not sure what look you are going for, so I'm not sure which way to go. I guess I'm kinda thinking a Eastern European type (judging from the post above). I could see replacing the feet with something a bit more animal like to match the hands, and I could almost see something like the Undertaker's Ministry outfit on him. I think the brown of the pants and the red of the shirt kinda make him look like 'Vampire-Bite-Mutated-Shaggy". I can't see him as Igor, because he's not a humpbacked, stooped lackey like he's been portrayed as over the years.
-Michael Corvin: Looks dead on. :D No critique needed.

Ummm, was there supposed to be a pic of the gray villain from the group shot? He reminds me of one of the Thundercats characters.

Now I dare you to work in the Renfield character...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:17 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])