Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Customs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm 

Wow, a most impressive set indeed. I can dig the Conan in pants. My first one, the RAH style one had pants. Made more sense with the Frost Giant's and such. See you used the Doc Samson head too, which I am using for Kull because John sent me one of his Conan heads with the headband and the height of good manners dictated that I should use it. I have that Draco, and his wings are huge to deal with. Might turn mine nice and dark to look like that badass monster dragon in Reign of Fire.

I am glad that Red Sonja has the loose hair, and not the bound one. Makes her look infinitely sweeter. I wouldn't go for a chainmail bikini either, but I might have done like I am doing, some exotic leathers to show off the legs and ample busoms.

Oh, and I have indeed held a boob or twenty. I think they come in pairs still. ; )

Was that werewolf the one from McFarlane's monster set, or the one from his Total Chaos or Spawn set? He has done 4 or 5 werewolves I think that are interesting.

Coolness on using Cortana's base! Was she ever done in 1:18? Still would like to see one of her done, if we ever get an Invisible Woman in clear from Marvel Universe.

Awesome assemblage and you find the most interesting backdrops.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm 

Thanks Cap -- I really think I'm going to go back and "leather" up Sonja's wardrobe. The Scab Red paint I used on her pants works great for red leather, so I can really see her in a nice leather halter top (because I worked too hard on her midriff to cover it up just yet ;) )

The Werewolf came from this "playset" : http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2135 -- the figure was a decent sculpt, but only had 4-5 points of articulation, so it had to go. The "hangin' tree" backdrop was the main reason I bought it from Joeczar anyway, so getting a sweet-ass wolf head was an added bonus.

I made a Cortana out of a clear/purple Microlady a few years back, but she desperately needs an update - I would hope that Hasbro would give us a clear-ish IW at some point. They did it for Silver Surfer and I can't remember him ever being see-through....

And for Dennis & JM70 -- I guess there IS a chance I might continue on with these --- I got a touch of the creative bug after brainstorming about D&D customs yesterday and whipped up this WIP earlier today:

Attachment:
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG [ 197.55 KiB | Viewed 479 times ]

-- So we'll see where that leads me. If I can come up with a few more for the team (a "Ranger", , "Cavalier", "Acrobat" etc) and a Venger custom, I may have something to show off before too long....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:44 pm 

I grabbed the complete series of Dungeons and Dragons:Beginnings before they disappeared around here. Awesome.

Have you seen these:http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27186

His work on Dragonlance Customs is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 pm 

Whoa - missed Rescuer's stuff entirely -- those are outstanding! And I'm seeing a lot of similarities between what he put together and what I was sketching out in my head yesterday. Definitely gonna incorporate some of those into my designs.

You know, I never read any Dragon-themed books or played any of the games, I just never could get into any of it, despite my affection for the genre. The only real exceptions are the Tolkien books - but they're not really what I'd call "Dragon-Centric." I know you're a bit of an authority on the matter - any suggestions on some "light 'n airy" stuff to get me started?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 pm 

Dragon-centric? That would be the works of Martin, McCaffrey, and David Drake with his Lord of the Isles and such. Especially Anne McCaffrey.

I like McCaffrey, because at least her dragons run both hot and cold and have extensive dialogue.

I'm the same way. I never, ever, played a single D&D game like many here have done, from the pen and paper days to the established miniature modules. I was the one folks went to when they wanted their characters drawn, or their tabletop terrain or miniatures painted. I got into their histories very late, around the time of Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath, Forgotten Realms, etc. Me, I was the Drow lover. Two scoops of Drow, with Drow slices and a spoonful of Drow sprinkles. From Drizz't to Quilue Veladorn, that was my schtick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

i recommend the original Dragonlance as a jumping off point -- quick read.

Legend has it, the novels were created as D&D campaigns first ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am 

Thanks for the kind words Cap and Chief! I have only been at this for about a year, on and off, so that is very high praise coming from the two of you. I admire both of your works! I haven't been able to post anything recently as we have been extremely busy with court and such. After 7 years of being a foster family, 4 1/2 to our 2 little ones, my wife, 2 teenage sons and I, finalized the adoption of our newest son who is 5 1/2, and our daughter who is 4 1/2, on last Friday. It has been a GREAT weekend as we have had them since she was 2 days old and it has been a long road. Anyway, I do have a few new ones to post, and am working on some more, although not all will be Dragonlance. I have a few from other series and shows that we like, so stay tuned!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 pm 

Some great work here, especially the fantasy customs and Masters of the Universe. Consider me inspired.

Love the use of soft goods too. My hat is tipped towards you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])