Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 9:32 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dungeons & Dragons Customs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm 

Ok, time for one of my "Seagull" custom sessions (I swoop in, make some noise, drop off a load of crap, and swoop out again.) I was hoping I'd get a chance to do some more customs and get more involved with other stuff on the site, but with the new job & going to school, I doubt I'll have much time to visit in the coming months.

So back during the Custom Celebration, I showed off some preliminary ideas for a group of Sci-Fi/Fantasy customs, and at the end of the thread got motivated to start a series of D&D characters. Now, let me clarify - I never played D&D - never really had the opportunity, and even if I had, I don't think it'd be my thing. But I watched the hell out of the cartoon and enjoyed the world they created on TV. Only had one of the figures - StrongHeart, but I was familiar with the other characters via the show and seeing the figures on the pegs.

For those who never watched the cartoon:

I recently re-watched all of the old 'toon episodes on YouTube, and was surprised how well they stood up. Sure - it's still a kids' show, but it was fun nonetheless. So I started using that as a basis for my little D&D world. After seeing an episode where Venger pulls combat pilots through a space/time portal to prevent the kids from being born, I got the idea that this is another dimension that draws victims from various timeframes, and even other dimensions. "Mythical" creatures (like those from Greek myths) originated here, but most of the human population actually came from our Earth from various points in the timeline, allowing people from different eras to interact (the kids are from the 80s, StrongHeart was an English Knight of old, etc.)

Wanted to give it a grittier feel than the 'toon, obviously, so I fast-forwarded the timeline 20 years - the kids are all in their mid-late 30s now. Eric & Bobby are dead (because I disliked them when I was a kid and still do - so they weren't worth the fodder pieces & paint.) - They are a little jaded and a lot darker in personality. In the "epic" battle that killed , er, Eric and Bobby, Dungeon Master was also killed, so Teddy (Presto) had to step up and fill that role. He's actually one of the more powerful magicians in the realm now, but his loss of innocence drained most of his personality. Sheila & Diana are basically the same, just older, wiser, and lethal. Sheila occasionally suffers bouts of depression due to her brother's death, but is always able to focus during battle. Hank was the hardest hit of the survivors - carrying the guilt of their deaths and feeling responsible for failing them as their de facto leader. As a result, he is more ruthless in battle, yet more protective of his remaining friends - and slow to forge new relationships for fear of losing another member of the "family."

I was reading how the (never produced) series finale was going to show that Venger was DM's son and the kids are able to redeem him, Darth Vader-style, right before they went home. In my world, that never happened -- when DM was killed in the great battle, Venger's last ties to humanity were eradicated, and he became more monstrous, powerful, and lost the remaining sense of honor he sometimes demonstrated in the series.

Anyway -- blah blah blah -- on to the customs (you'll also see a few "guest stars" in the mix :P )

StrongHeart - tried to made a decent homage of the original figure, but using available parts:

Original inspiration:

Helmeted head - Chap Mei, DCIH Hawkman, Green Stuff
Regular Head - SDCC Grampa Destro
Rest - MU Thor
Sword - LOTR modded
Shield - WWII Cap

For the kids, I didn't really put that much effort into them - but since I did Venger, I figured I needed some of the originals. Still need some touch-ups, but I'm pretty much bored with them now, so they'll have to wait until I find the time & motivation to fix them. FYI - I really don't like the Thor movie figs for customs at all. Hate those legs, especially.

Then you might remember these guys from my other thread -- I added a Narnia figure to add some diversity:

My big dilemma is this guy -- I finally snagged a WW Hulk - knowing that he was way too small to be Hulk, but perfect for my D&D 'verse. Started messing with fleshtones, and decided against just making him a bulky white guy, so I ended up with this --

Figured he's a Wood Troll or something - he doesn't look quite so blotchy in person and the tattoos and scars are more distinct in-hand. Not sure if he should be a good guy (I've got too many as it is) or a tortured-soul servant of Venger. Meh - I'll figure it out.

Venger -

Used the Frost Giant body because it gave me the size I wanted:

But decided to go "minimalist" on the clothing/customization because it was becoming a pain in the ass to work with the figure - which is why I came up with the "lost all ties to humanity" angle.

Kelek -

Original fig:

Henry Jones Sr head modded
MU Vision body (because it was going to get thrown away, anyway)
Darth-somebody cloak

Cyclops (don't have a name yet- Warduke shown for scale)

This was the main reason I wanted my WW Hulk to be a different flesh tone - because this guy was a pasty white guy and I wanted some diversity.

WWE Dusty Rhodes fig with sculpted face and modded boots.

Warduke -- if Venger's the Darth Vader of this world, then Warduke is the Boba Fett. And as such, he deserves a pimped-out ride:

Head - MU Magneto w/Green Stuff
Upper body - MU Warpath
Left Arm - MU Thor
Legs - Hawkeye
2-headed Wolf Beast - Chap Mei

And for those who don't remember the original:

Bad Guy height comparison -

I'm also adding these Narnia dudes as bad guys to help flesh out the team:

Ok - for "Guest Stars", let's start with this guy:

Never read Warlord comics - wasn't familiar at all with the character, just had the toys:

Didn't understand why Green Arrow would be wearing a Thor Helmet and Snow Leopard Speedos & a cape, but my Remco Hercules fig needed a sword so he could hang with my He-Man, so I grabbed Warlord when I was 10-11 years old.

Then I started doing some research when I saw the JLU Warlord/Supergirl/Demios pack, and decided to make one, since the JLU Warlord head was a perfect 1:18 fit and far less cartoony than any other JLU fig. Actually found that I really like the concept - although the execution was a little lacking (helmet & speedos - total ripoff of Burroughs' Pellucidar, which is a goofy idea to begin with, etc.) -- But I loved the idea that he was a downed SR-71 pilot, and after watching the aforementioned D&D episode with the various time-warped pilots, I had an epiphany.

Yeah, yeah - he has pants - sue me. But you can't argue that the head doesn't look great on a 1:18 body. Still gotta get a better sword and fashion a scabbard, but he's getting there.

In the time before his nifty cape & helmet:

Heads - JLU Warlord & Matt Trakker modded
Upper body - MU Namor
Lower body - WWII Cap
Cape - W:O Sabretooth?

Lastly - there's this "Black Knight" guy that I made up as a goof -- playing into the "space/time victim" thing. Nobody knows his name -and he doesn't speak. But he's a fierce and noble warrior and helps out the heroes in times of need. Here he is with his one close friend, T'im-Barr ;-)

Now - "Where are the dragons?", you say? -- Right here.

Just gotta build some Dungeon dios now :D

Cheers!

Last edited by Chief on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Dungeons & Dragons Customs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I enjoyed the TV show, never got into the *evilness* of the board game.

Some really great customs here, you do good work for a Seagull...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 pm 

Wow, I know nothing about D&D, but have seen those figures. But yours, wow, they are fantastic. They don't even look like customs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 pm 

Nice!

OMG you hacked up a Dark Beast! How could you?! 8-O

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm 

Oh these are terrific. I'm taking notes here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm 

As having been an avid D&D player and living in it's state of origin as well as a regular GenCon attendee these customs rock!! Great work and way to walk me down memory lane!!

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/af217/lronWill/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 pm 

I LOVE the Warduke and Warlord customs. Warduke was a figure design that really stuck with me from my childhood: I didn't necessarily like it as a kid (one pant-leg and one bare leg? What the hell?), but it was memorable and interesting. I love your update to it, and that head is a stroke of genius. Warlord...I've been working on a custom of that guy, too, but yours is far cooler than my WIP; time to do some serious ripping-off! I really like that you gave him an alternate head, too. Great work all around, but those two in particular really made my day. Nicely played!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:56 pm 

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that the idea for the Warduke head was totally drbindy's.

Oh, and Goldbug -- I chopped up that Beast fig years ago -- I needed the closed-mouth head for my regular blue MLS Beast (didn't like the "O" face that Toy Biz put on that one.) - This Wolfman custom just gave me a chance to release it from the fodder box :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 pm 

Image Everything here is awesome! I love 'em all. I had Strong Heart and Warduke when I was a kid. Might still have most of Warduke's shield around here, somewhere. Those are great updates. Warduke's steed is appropriately bad ass.

T'im-Barr has earned a special place in my heart.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

Last edited by Greyryder on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 am 

more awesomeness from the chief, I gotta say I like them all

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:35 am 

Awesome and then some. The details and attention to details scream. Wow, the original figures bring back some memories. The only games I have ever played were the video variety, but I read the hell out of the histories and personalities out of pure enjoyment.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 am 

So much goodness in one thread.

Who'd have thought seagull crap could look so good.

I LOVED that toon as a kid. So you immediately had me onside, but the quality on display hree is outstanding.

Disappointed you killed off Bobbi, who was my personal favourite as a kid.

And wheres Uni?

As to your Wood Troll character (which IMO is probably my favourite of this lot) I dont know if youve read any David Gemmell fantasy, but I get a real Druss the Legend vibe from this character

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druss

I love the inclusion T'im- Burr. Im with Greyryder. Great easter egg.

As an aside, i had to search wikipedia to remind myself who Eric was. And Im including the link because the description of the Shadow Demon is, hands down, the best piece of descriptive prose Ive ever read on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_a ... ns_cartoon

Cant link to the specific line- its about 3/4 of the way down

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 am 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

I do know about D&D, and I say without hesitation awesome work!

- R

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:58 am 
Plug
Plug

What if the Woodtroll was Bobbi all hulked out? A young kid convinced to join the dark side to do his master's bidding. Add a head trauma My Little Pony as an accessory and you have a custom full of win.

Not that it isn't anyway. You know I love these. Silent Knight and T'im Barr are nice nods and great use of that Beast body. Warduke, Kelek, Strong Heart are the most faithful to their original figures and I really dig these translations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am 
The Sausage Party
The Sausage Party

Loved the cartoon and the figures growing up. These customs do them justice to the extreme. :)

[pluv] 5:22 pm: Unlike Fight Club, the first rule of Chat Club is don't
click on a Bad Ash link.
[danielb] 5:22 pm: the second rule is to encourage others to click on
badashes link

Jimmyboy] 2:59 pm: My group of VonEric bears all came with coffins

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 9:32 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])