Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:09 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Castle Destro Dio/Display : Project Update 09/30/11
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 am 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

that thing is extra awesome, I also appreciate the speed at which you are progressing.

Why green for the castle bits? are you going too weather and detail everything? LED's? Either way this is awesome. If it had a retail of 300 I'd buy it.

Team Red Lazer

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

bcost74 wrote:
That thing is pretty tall. I am surprised that you did not extend the sides to add some width. Overall though, this is looking real nice.

thanks!

i'm trying to keep the footprint as small as I can -- it's got to fit in my toyroom, and still allow for walking through the room -- i'm also <slightly> concerned about having a lot of stuff hanging off the sides -- just working with this in the garage, I keep knocking pieces off by accident!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:27 am 

danielb wrote:
that thing is extra awesome, I also appreciate the speed at which you are progressing.

Why green for the castle bits? are you going too weather and detail everything? LED's? Either way this is awesome. If it had a retail of 300 I'd buy it.

thanks! I wound up having some free time last night, and most of the plastic cutting had been done for awhile, I just didn't have the chance to attach it to the shelves -

the simple answer on the castle bits being green is that it was close to the base color of the greyskull playset, and i didn't want to have to try and mask/tape that set off to get it a different color. i plan on spending the cold winter nights detailing & drybrushing (gray) all the brick/stone pieces of the facade -- possibly even doing a black wash after that, even on the "metal" parts -- but for sure drybrushing the brick & stone -- at the very least, that should tie all the different shades of green together, as it will only be in the seams where the green shows up --

thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:13 pm 

i couldn't get these off my phone last night, but i was going to show one more thing:

one of these castles had a sliding dungeon door, and when i cut it apart, it lost the support for the 'slide' -- i wanted to keep the play feature, so i cobbled up some new guides using a hard plastic baseball card sleeve, which i glued & screwed into place:

Attachment:
CIMG0100.jpg
CIMG0100.jpg [ 872.53 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0101.jpg
CIMG0101.jpg [ 1019.26 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0102.jpg
CIMG0102.jpg [ 875.25 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0103.jpg
CIMG0103.jpg [ 936.63 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 pm 

This is absolutely amazing. Is there going to be an elevator for the troops?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:09 pm 

i have two death star elevators waiting in the wings ... but i don't know if they will get incorporated into this project, or saved for a further idea i'm working on ....

and thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:04 pm 

not so much an update today, but a series of questions ...

i've got a little bit of time to work on this, and am wondering if anyone has an opinion or suggestion on where to take it ...

A. first up, does anyone have an opinion if this eagle lookout (round hole as seen on left) is cool enough to warrant hunting down another one for the right side?
Attachment:
CIMG0069.jpg
CIMG0069.jpg [ 1.17 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

the same photo shows my first idea about filling the center -- in this case, using a cutdown bridgelayer with hq guns attached to the 'backside', here is a blurry shot with the wall in the up position:
Attachment:
CIMG0070.jpg
CIMG0070.jpg [ 1.03 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0072.jpg
CIMG0072.jpg [ 1.16 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

here is a second idea: using ttbp docks (which would allow for opening one or both at a time)
Attachment:
CIMG0075.jpg
CIMG0075.jpg [ 1.16 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0076.jpg
CIMG0076.jpg [ 1.1 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0078.jpg
CIMG0078.jpg [ 1.01 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0079.jpg
CIMG0079.jpg [ 1.16 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

B. here is an idea about the open gap ... can't decide if it adds to the set, or detracts by closing an access?
Attachment:
CIMG0074.jpg
CIMG0074.jpg [ 965.97 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

C. finally, here were some concepts for adding weapons to the landing platform ... if any at all ...
Attachment:
CIMG0082.jpg
CIMG0082.jpg [ 1.02 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0084.jpg
CIMG0084.jpg [ 988.66 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0085.jpg
CIMG0085.jpg [ 938.07 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

Attachment:
CIMG0086.jpg
CIMG0086.jpg [ 1.04 MIB | Viewed 1144 times ]

anybody have any insight or ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:17 pm 
Formerly JFAK075

The only critique I have so far is the use of hot glue. I've had very little luck with it long term (used it on my City buildings and Devastator). And over time it loosens and or remelts. But if your set is kept around 70 degrees year round then maybe it won't be an issue.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm 

JFAK075 wrote:
The only critique I have so far is the use of hot glue. I've had very little luck with it long term (used it on my City buildings and Devastator). And over time it loosens and or remelts. But if your set is kept around 70 degrees year round then maybe it won't be an issue.

yeah, i've already had quite a bit of it 'let loose' -- especially the joints/connections that are under any type of stress (including gravity) -- i've gone over the worst offenders and started screwing them together & to the shelf substructure --

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm 

Hunt down another one of those side things from Spider-Man and definitely add the TTBP dock doors, looks cool with them in place.

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

JFAK075 wrote:

Oh. I didn't see the hot glue reference. Are you building everything with that as the adhesive, or just select parts? I've heard other people say the same as John. also, while superglue would be superior, for something like this, I wonder if an actual plasti-weld compound would be best? EDIT - and yes, screws, like you said in reply!

As for your Questions:

A. Yes, most definitely. I mean you don't have to have the symmetry of the same piece on both sides. Just as with the castle facade above it, you can use different looking pieces. But it is a very cool part, and would look great on both sides.

A (Part2) - I don't like the bridgelayer there, I don't think. But the ttbp docks fit there beautifully.

B. I like the part you suggest using, but now that you mention it, that open gap looks better I think. You're going to have a lot going on here - you already do - so I like the idea of saving the detail for all the actual features you're making, and leaving off parts without a specific purpose, for fear of making it too busy.

But also, yes, that's a nice access point for play, from the front. And you can imagine that being a spot where Destro looks out from the castle at night contemplating things.

C. If you put guns on the landing platform, doesn't it then become a gun platform instead? I like the idea of the landing platform better I think, and you can add detail like a circle painted on for small VTOL craft to aim for when landing.

If you wanted guns though still, I don't like the Joe guns there so much, but I do like the look of the pic where the gun was on the riser.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:26 pm 

thanks for all the insight, guys --

a. i agree on the eagle lookout/parapet -- off to find another one!

b. i think i'm going to compromise, and figure out a way to have the guns either slide out, or have them on their own stand, and be removable -- but still be able to be pushed into place to cover the gap when not in use

c. bindy, you're right -- that works better as a landing pad -- maybe i'll take off the little grid, and put a circle instead -- maybe some 'warning stripes' along the edge?

thanks again, joebros ... i'm starting to get nervous to finish the major facade construction before the snow flies!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:57 pm 

for C., you could also add a layer, like so many of the other cool features you've done so far. Where the landing pad as it is has the circle, warning stripes, etc... but then build a deck that can cover it, with guns attached, when not used to land anything, but which swivels open to reveal the landing pad when needed.

not sure if that makes sense, but something like that would fit in with the other similar working features you have.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 pm 

<sigh> thought my missile silo had a shot at dio of the year, forgot you were working on this! ;)

It's looking excellent! Very ambitious, and I'm impressed with the speed of your progress.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:35 pm 

drbindy wrote:
for C., you could also add a layer, like so many of the other cool features you've done so far. Where the landing pad as it is has the circle, warning stripes, etc... but then build a deck that can cover it, with guns attached, when not used to land anything, but which swivels open to reveal the landing pad when needed.

not sure if that makes sense, but something like that would fit in with the other similar working features you have.

i think i get what you're saying ... i'm wondering if i have the parts to pull it off ...

i'm thinking it might just be best to leave it as a landing pad, and then add a couple of guns/missile launchers on the sides of the platform and/or the sides of the castle ... hmmmm.

DanOfTheDead wrote:
<sigh> thought my missile silo had a shot at dio of the year, forgot you were working on this! ;)It's looking excellent! Very ambitious, and I'm impressed with the speed of your progress.

dude. seriously.

this is nowhere near as good as your missile silo, and on top of that, this b*tch isn't going to be finished until at least 2013!

:-P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:09 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])