Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greyryder's Works in Progress Thread (moar Hellchick, pg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:37 am 

Thanks! Her hooves are actually larger than they should be, based on the line art I'm basing her off of, but I'm not changing them, now.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 am 

Very impressive work on the HellChick. I love the detailing so far and I anxiously await when she is fully done, as she is just the kind of project I love seeing.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:22 pm 

Thanks Cap. As intimidated as I felt by some of the detail work she needs, I've been enjoying watching her come together. It's one thing to sit there with a magnifier working on one spot, but then I set her down, step back, and take in the entire figure.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:51 am 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

drbindy wrote:
I have to think it's the size of the thread keeping responders away. ...

Thread size and pace...I love the updates and seeing the process from start to finish...but don't always have a comment for every fold, nook, and cranny.

I really need to get me some Aves and mr fixit....

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am 

This post is for those who are interested in the more nuts and bolts part of customizing. I don't seem to be able to explain things well, with words, and this will be covered, when I'm done.

I've been revamping my angel V1, yet again. Most of it is just new sculpting, but one of the biggest changes that I'm replacing her hair (again). I wanted some lateral and rotational movement that the original doll house hinge just wasn't providing. Originally, I was just going to use elastic ribbon, but after getting it in place, it was mostly moving like the hinge had been. I wanted something that would let the hair lay more naturally, when her (now removable) sword scabbard is in place. Two simple loops of craft wire turned out to be the answer.

The two hair segments are still connected by elastic, that's embed in the sculpt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 am 
Thomas from Missourri

Your brand of weird goes over just fine here.

Totally unfamiliar with Hellchick, but would definitely like to learn more about the character. You've made the figure extremely interesting/visually compelling.

And your work enhancing the articulation for Kilroy is brilliant.

Inspirational stuff here, really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm 

Thanks.

Hellchick doesn't really have a story, that I'm aware of. It's the user name for Caryn Law, who used to work at Planet Quake. The guys at iD made a player model, based on the name for Quake III, but it was mostly a generic demoness. This is based on line art that was approved for a Quake IV player model, but never got made. I found the line art at the artist's website, which I won't link to due to not safe for workedness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 am 

The junior members of House Bast, as they currently stand:

Couple minor things to smooth out, and they're ready for paint washes, then detail paint. All will have soft goods around their waists/legs, before they're finished.

Angel's overhaul includes removing the old vinyl belts, and sculpting on new. New scabbards had to be made to hold the new sword and dagger I made for her, a while back. Both of those now peg into their respective spots. She'll also be getting a new skirt, made from a nicer material. Victoria, and Alek'sander will both have kilt like garments, based loosely on ancient Egyptian styles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:09 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

8-O

awesome man.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 pm 

Thanks.

After I took the picture, I remembered that I wanted to add shoulder straps to Victoria's outfit. Think I'll shorten Angel's forearms, while I'm at it. They're starting to bother me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 am 
Plug
Plug

Back to the nuts and bolts. Did you cover up the metal loops with something that plugs into the top of Angel's hair? I really like that idea as it gives the hair more lateral movement but it needs to be covered. I like the elastic cord idea too. That will be stolen for sure.

The last pic of Hellchick totally reminds me of Sithfire's work. Tons of detail all sculpted on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 pm 

To cover up the wire links on the back of Angel's head, I extended the sculpting down far enough to cover them, but tried to leave the edge up high enough still let the hair move. I used a piece of the really thin sheet styrene I use to make holsters for the covering piece. I cut the bottom edge to give me the shape I wanted, curled it over some small diamter tuning, and set it into Apoxie Sculpt, to hold it in place. After that, it got sculpted over. I'll take pictures of the back of her head, when I show the finished figures. All I have left to do is detail paint, and make the soft goods and accessories.

Thanks! I always look to his work, for inspiration.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

I really like the size diversity. It really makes each character unique. Can't wait to see where you go with these.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:37 am 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Greyryder wrote:
I'll take pictures of the back of her head, when I show the finished figures.

I'll just assume you're being polite in blowing off Pluv's request...as this thread makes it obvious...you don't ever actually "Finish" figures...:shifty: :D

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:36 am 
Plug
Plug

nova wrote:
Greyryder wrote:
I'll take pictures of the back of her head, when I show the finished figures.

I'll just assume you're being polite in blowing off Pluv's request...as this thread makes it obvious...you don't ever actually "Finish" figures...:shifty: :D
I was just about to call him nova jr. :D I got it from the description. Looking forward to these semi-final WIPs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])