Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 12:48 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Metal Slug Tank with Marco and Tarma
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:46 pm 

It's been a while since I tackled GI Joes but I'm back! And with a doozy for you all at Joe Customs.

The Metal Slug Super Vehicle tank was made from an Imaginext Robot Police Tank by Fisher Price. It had lights and blue robot arms but those were removed, filled in with Apoxie Sculpt, and smoothed over. It's easy to unscrew and open up to part out for painting. I created a domed top, scratch-built the side machine guns from abs tubing and Glyos parts, used a Hero Factory chest for the back chassis system. On that system are the exhaust made from Sigma 6 Duke wind-up gun barrels and ML Heroes Reborn Iron Man pipes and random parts for the twin tubes and antenna.

The workin light on top is a Neo Shifters light-up head with a custom case built around it, fodder parts for the roof vent, sculpted 3-hole side vents from Apoxie sculpt, added Spawn Interlink feet jets for the 4 side pegs, and various fodder parts or Modeling Support Goods hobby parts for detail.

Marco and Tarma were made from GI Joes, who I'm not sure because I put them together from loose parts. Unfortunately I've long since forgotten what lower leg goes to who or what arm is what. Their vests were created simply from RoC Cobra Commander jackets and their heads were custom sculpts from Trigate where I resculpted their hair and facial features. A Xevoz boxing glove helped make Tarma's backpack puncher and an Iron Man flame blast/Sigma 6 rocket used for Marco's RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR.

The tank's main cannon blast was a mix of an Avatar Fire nation accessory and ML Centurion Iron Man missile tip. The side cannon blasts are ML War Machine feet blasts.

Basecoat on the tank is Tamiya spray lacquer Lin Grey (it'll take a whole can, about $6) and then hand-detailed with various Testors Model Master Acrylic and Formula p3 paints. The tank makes sounds when you press the button on the main cannon and rolls on hidden wheels.

You can find the Imaginext Robot Police tank most places like Target/Walmart or if you're lucky on sale at Marshalls/TJ Maxx for just $9! It's such a perfect take off of the Metal Slug vehicle I'm absolutely sure the designers at Fisher Price are fans of the series. Since the pics are too big to be uploaded check them out here:

Full set of pics!---> Metal Slug Tank

http://www.jinsaotomesdangeroustoys.com

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Metal Slug Tank with Marco and Tarma
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm 

I cannot possibly illustrate with words how much I love these. I wish I had your sculpting abilities because I have long wanted to make them. I'll just hold out hope that someday their heads will be available on Slayer or another similar site.

Read my reviews and ramblings over at Bastard's Got a Nosebleed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:02 pm 

Not familiar with Metal Slug, but that tank totally reminds me of Bonaparte, from Dominion: Tank Police.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and lose some of the pieces. Then, it'll be a custom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 pm 

UncleHappy wrote:
I cannot possibly illustrate with words how much I love these. I wish I had your sculpting abilities because I have long wanted to make them. I'll just hold out hope that someday their heads will be available on Slayer or another similar site.

All it takes is some Aves Studio's Fixit Sculpt and some time. Honestly, I dremelled the tops of two heads down so the hair wouldn't stick out from their scalp too far and just pressed out some fixit sculpt into waves. Then you make impressions in it with an edged tool, x-acto knife, whatever. You can do this, trust me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 am 
Formerly Push You Down

That's crzy good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am 
JC Podcaster
JC Podcaster

Very cool. Really captures the game feel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 am 
Plug
Plug

The Tank is awesome. Just a crazy design brought to life. Phenomenal execution.

Tarma uses mostly Outback parts. The flashlight on the leg and t-shirt collar are the giveaways. I'm not sure about the arms.

Marco was probably this version of Storm Shadow for the torso. Not sure on the legs or arms. Maybe Gung Ho's upper arms?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:26 pm 

I love the Metal Slug game series!

This is quite impressive. Great scultping on Marco and Tarma's hair. The boxing glove on Marco's backpack is pure genius. The Metal Slug itself is a marvel of ingenuity. Very original. I would love to see if you could make Eri and Fio to go along with them or maybe General Morden...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:13 pm 
Don't make me angry, you won't like Cranky Tanky

TR101AL wrote:
Very cool. Really captures the game feel.

^^^ this Jin you always impress and put smiles on our faces 8-O
glad to see you tackling 4" figs again

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

as always your technical abilities are top tier.

but the idea and execution are what steals the show here. even without the title, and with barely any knowledge of the game I'd have recognized it right away. great job.

Team Red Lazer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:41 am 

Hey, thanks everyone! I hope I inspired at least one of you with this piece, that's what I aim to do. Thanks for the parts lowdown pluv! I want to make Eri and Fio, looking into MU/Star Wars females with articulated bare/smooth legs. perhaps some of those Jedi women.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:47 am 

Impressive work as always.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 pm 

It is always great to see your work, Jin! And this is no exception!!! Both the figures and the vehicle are ridiculously good, making me wonder why the big manufacturers can't put out stuff that is this cool... Anyways, you've lived up to your reputation, which is pure gold in my book!

-Todd

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 12:48 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])