Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:50 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What If... Sigma Six
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

(scroll down for TL;DR version)
In my Transformers collecting, I've moved to the WST scale for most things, getting only figures or characters I really like in larger scales. There are a few reasons I like the WST scale: 1) all the characters are roughly the same size in 'bot form, which while not character accurate, it's more visually appealing, 2) the small scale makes figures like Trypticon and Metroplex seem as massive as they should, and 3) it allows for epic displays in small spaces, with a 4'x4' table allowing a sprawling battle, complete with the city-formers.

I say all that because when S6 came out, I really liked it. Sure, I grumbled when it was first announced, but once released, I took to it immediately. I liked both scales of it, and although it had some problems, for the most part, it was just simple fun. If I could change anything, it would be that the 2.5" figures would be more accurate representation of the 8", and get rid of the prepose/give them more articulation (shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, neck, basically combine the various articulation points in the Human Alliance TF line). Again, like with the WST, I liked being able to get huge-scaled vehicles that still didn't take up a lot of space. 3 3/4" Joes will always have a place with me, and I'll collect them as long as they're made. However, had S6 been successful and the big H said, "Everything will be 2.5 or 8 inch now.", I would have been fine with that, especially if the 2.5" got better articulation as it progressed. I can make some great dios with 3 3/4", but with 2.5" the dios are even better. It's a sweet spot, scale-wise, because the figures work well with 1:24 and 1:32 vehicles/displays, allowing for a lot of fodder. I know we won't see it again, and while I miss it, I'm happy with what we have, but I would have been happy to have seen it continue. That brings me to...

TL;DR - If Sigma Six had been successful enough to warrant a permanent scales change, would you have collected it? (This assumes an improvement of articulation in the 2.5" figures) If you would have collected at the new scales, which would you have bought? 2.5"? 8"? Both? If you would not have collected, why not? Please ellaborate beyond "I'm 1:18 only" or "I'm 1:6 only", with an explanation of why your chosen scale is your chosen scale.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: What If... Sigma Six
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I would have embraced S6 if it had been done so it would fit in right beside my existing ARAH and new sculpt GIJOE figures.

The majority of figures in my collections are 3-3/4. That seems to be the perfect scale for storage and set-up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 pm 
Plug
Plug

No. While I loved the Sigma 6 designs and would have snapped them up at 4 inches, I have found anything out of that scale never gets used. Smaller and it lacks articulation and detail. Bigger and it becomes cumbersome and expensive to amass and collect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

Yes, if the 2.5 scale figures had received more standard articulation and less dynamic static poses I would have gotten into them. Possibly passionately if they had mixed classic designs in--similar to POC line. For me ball-jointed shoulders and turning waist would have been enough--as long as the legs weren't crazy posed I could have accepted no leg articulation at that scale. I like the idea of larger playsets and vehicles being possible at this scale.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm 

Push You Down wrote:
Yes, if the 2.5 scale figures had received more standard articulation and less dynamic static poses I would have gotten into them. Possibly passionately if they had mixed classic designs in--similar to POC line.

That's kind of what I was envisioning. Just as the awkwardness of JvC/VvV gave way to the current articulation, I figured the 2.5" would evolve some.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm 
Formerly Suburbanator

I really like the look of the 8 inch characters, but i'd never collect them. Too big. I love the Sideshow figures too, but again, too big. Also, it seems like the only vehicle for the 8 inch guys was the ninja bike. I like vehicles. I'm not aware or any other 8 inch scale line with vehicles that could be used.
As for the small guys? Cool vehicles, not into posed figures tho.
If a line was offered for 3 3/4 or 4 figures that looked like the 8 inch figures or their 'toon counter parts, I'd be all over that. I like the look of those characters. Except Tunnel Rat. I'd love to put that guy in a bag and hurl the bag into a river and hurl the river into the sun.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm 
Strong Fat Tongue

I loved Sigma Six, but the only thing that kept me from collecting it was the scale. Not even the difference in scale, but it was too much to display. So, I had to pass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:24 pm 
Doctor of Tea-baganomics
Doctor of Tea-baganomics

I guess I am in the minority here. (HAHAHAHA) Because I probably would've collected these, or at least cherry picked the ones I wanted. These were great figures with awesome accessories. Since I already have a nice Marvel Legends collection going, adding another collection of 8 inch figures wouldn't be too drastic of a change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

I was collecting Sigma 6. I actually have very one of them. If they continued I would have cut back heavily. I was already trying to decide a point to back off before they ended it. I didn't like them when I first saw them due to them being way too much like Xevoz, but they made a few minor tweaks from the prototypes we first saw. When they came out they did some slightly better sculpts and they were a fun figure too. But space was a major factor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 pm 

I only collect figures in the 3.75-4" scale - except MASK and I haven't bought any of them in years. Never liked Sigma Six and never wold have bought anything unless its was made in 3.75-ish scale.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 am 

Finally :)

This is a subject that i'm passionate about and that i've discussed with other collectors privately for years now . Yes , if Sigma 6 had been successful enough to warrant a continuation of the 2.5'' line with improved articulation (and for me that means swivel biceps and "ball shoulders") i would have supported the line fiercely. And it's because of Hasbro's original ARAH 3.75 inch line .

We all had He-Man, Star Wars , M.A.S.K. , Transformers and perhaps Voltron. If you are on this board then eventually GI Joe conquered them all. ARAH GI Joe had the right combination of small "pocket" size, great articulation for it's time and great vehicles to play with inside or out. You could throw dozens of them into a shoe box :| Had M.A.S.K. , a successful toyline in it's own right that combined elements of GI Joe with Transformers , released drivers that had articulation on par with GI JOE i think history might have played out differently as far as where MASK is ranked amongst the majority of toy collectors.

That hypothetical MASK line with superior driver articulation and removable helmets? That's exactly what GI Joe Sigma Six (2.5'') could have been except with the name recognition and marketing of GI Joe/Hasbro. I challenge any Joe collector to look over the latter series Mission Sets and Deluxe Sets that were released in the 2.5'' Sigma Six line and say the vehicles don't look like excellent toys.
ROCC - ARCTIC & NIGHT OPS VAMP - DRAGONHAWK - FIREBAT - HISS TANK - STREET RAZOR - THE PANTHER RAIL

The only thing the 2.5'' line was missing was fully articulated figures. Joe fans want articulation. We expect articulation. Hasbro blew a golden opportunity.

Sigma 6 had the opportunity to be everything we loved about our childhood Joe (vehicles that rocked with quality figures and a ******* cartoon!) updated for a new generation and at 2/3 the size of the original.

I've always appreciated Transformers but the last time i bought a Transformer in a store was when the Headmasters were released. I've always had a soft spot for Rumble , Frenzy and the other humanoid tape cassettes as well as the Target Masters and , to a lesser extent , Power Masters. I *HEART*Transformers Human Alliance and BOUGHT them in store despite not being a big TF fan. That is the power of a small scale line with fully articulated figures that also happen to have vehicles that turn into freaking ROBOTS.

Ahem.

The Human Alliance line is one bicep swivel away from being perfect. But that lacking feature is why it will never replace Joe (or 3.75'' figures) for me. The day the feature shows up is the day i make the permanent switch. Hasbro knows this which is why they released that driver that looks like it could pass for a Cobra snow serpent or soldier. :shifty:

^ Swap that Decepticon logo for a Cobra sigil .....

2.5'' Hit N Run, Roadblock and Flint battling pint sized HISS tanks and cobra troops? I'd pay GOOD money for that.

My collecting heart breaks every time i see Human Alliance and compare it to GI Joes Sigma Six. It makes me want to slap the piss out of who ever handled the Sigma Six 2.5'' line.

Last edited by Suntzu on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:58 am 
HATES Mattel

pluv wrote:
No. While I loved the Sigma 6 designs and would have snapped them up at 4 inches, I have found anything out of that scale never gets used. Smaller and it lacks articulation and detail. Bigger and it becomes cumbersome and expensive to amass and collect.

That's pretty much the truth of the whole thread, right there.

However, the improved-artic 2.5 S6 figs some of you are hypothesizing sound like MegaBloks figs to me, which I quite love for doing midgety-type characters. But while they're of an actual smaller size, they're still used as 18th-scale figs because 18th scale is the only scale that works for every property, every time. It's the only scale anybody really ever needs, imho.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:18 am 

S6 would've been a success with me if they kept the 1/18 scale.
It's simply the perfect size for an action figure line in my opinion.

I grew up with figures of different sizes (MASK, MOTU, Super Powers, etc.), but I always wished that all my favorite characters were the same size and as articulated as GI Joe RAH.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:03 am 

Thanks for the responses, guys. Guess I'm just a brand whore, because I would have gladly gone with the 2.5" line had they done that. I would love to see some of the 2.5" and 8" figures revisited in the current line, as there were some very good character designs there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24 pm 
Official JoeCustoms.com Canadian

I love the Sigma 6 universe and toys, but I really dislike how they were released. Too much repetition in the 8" scale, especially Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, who did not get the design and accessory variety the thousands of Dukes got. The number of Cobra characters was too far outpaced by the number of Joe characters. They never made the most of the Sigma Port feature. On the 2.5" scale, I loved the Dragonhawk and how well it interacted with the other figures, and I loved the variety of characters released in that scale, but as mentioned, the choice to make the figures preposed and essentially incompatible with the vehicles in that scale was insane.

So I would love to have seen Sigma 6 continue and would have been fine with it as the only GI Joe that existed from then on, the toys are that good. I just would have liked it far more if many of the decisions they made were different.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:50 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])