Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:28 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Never Seen anything like this on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 am 

hey all, I was searching ebay looking for joe lots and came across this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/estateroadshow/A ... 513&_pgn=1

HOLY CRAP! I have been ebaying since 2000 and I have NEVER seen stuff like this. I'm going to guess he found the storage locker of all toy storage locker.

Impressive and all way out of my price range but fun to look at.

However....I wonder if this flood of the market is going to bring down figure prices?? One could hope.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Never Seen anything like this on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:24 am 

I can't believe how many of one figure are in those lots. I don't own a single TF Dusty. I just found out why. They're all in that shoebox.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 am 

looks like Midnight Chinese market stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am 

You think so? I just thought they did those cobra troopers with the different camo's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 am 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

No, this was a dedicated collector and customizer - I suspect that if we don't know them then it's one of the Whales that they always talk about - the dedicated collectors that never made it online. He was obviously a man of means or connections to get stuff in those multitudes.

I have been looking at the lots for 20 minutes, and I am really feeling a connection with this guy. The huge effort that he made to do these giant custom projects. The literally hundreds of LBCs that he put together to have giant custom teams for display. I get why he spent so long and made such an effort to remove the silly yellow sleeves from all of his python patrol tele-vipers. The combination of 2 obscure figures (altitude and Python Patrol Crimson Guard) to make a really cool looking generic troop LBC must have taken forever to put together, but was awesome to behold.

I look at all the projects that he did, and the ones that he never got finished. I imagine where he displayed all of this, and the huge mock battles that played out on his bookshelves and tables. I feel like I kind of knew the guy - or at least this part of him. He was a guy with vision on a grand scale. All we see are the remnants of his obsessions, projects, and passions, but when he made this happen - it must have been amazing to behold.

- R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:04 am 
Snake Milker

I agree, I completely "get" where this guy was coming from. I am still astounded by the volume of things like Python patrol but it looks awesome. However he had to let this stuff go, i hope it was on good terms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 am 

KrymsynGard666 wrote:
I agree, I completely "get" where this guy was coming from. I am still astounded by the volume of things like Python patrol but it looks awesome. However he had to let this stuff go, i hope it was on good terms.

I'd like to think so, too, but that's an estate sale ebay account. And, combined with the huge amount of stuff but the lack of knowledge about what it is (the troopers are "ninjas"), I really suspect this guy isn't among the living anymore.

Kind of an eerie, ghost-of-Christmas-yet-to-come moment....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm 
Plug
Plug

I agree, the attention to detail on the customs is pretty telling. Look at those nazi customs. That is some pretty specific paint on the camo and insignias. http://www.timedlive.com/lot_images/93889/000412_09.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm 

Honey fudge, is that a Gung Ho with the mustache sanded off? That's pretty sweet looking. I may try that

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

I do like that whoever posted the pics took the time to do some 'whimsical' poses with some of the figures, rather than just image dumping. Without a clue as to who the late collector was, I'd like to think it would have been in keeping with his spirit of collecting.
The thought of what happens when I'm gone hits me often. It's one of those things I try not to think about, but when I see something like this, it really hits home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 pm 

When I posted this I did not even think of it being an "estate" sale. I figured it was a storage locker. I took another look at the pics, and the sheer numbers still amaze, the ideas that flowed through this guys head must of been epic. Simply epic. I really hope he got to realize a lot of them. I hope we was able to create great dio's and scenes and armies and stand back and get a good feelings of satisfaction, even for a brief moment. Chasing the dragon if you will.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Based on the The numbers and condition of the figures, I expect these figures were mostly bought new from the store buy an "adult collector"

based on that thought and the fact that this seems to be an estate sale, makes me think that this collection's owner is no longer with us...

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:10 pm 

Darko wrote:
KrymsynGard666 wrote:

I'd like to think so, too, but that's an estate sale ebay account. And, combined with the huge amount of stuff but the lack of knowledge about what it is (the troopers are "ninjas"), I really suspect this guy isn't among the living anymore.

Kind of an eerie, ghost-of-Christmas-yet-to-come moment....

Yup. It's a lot of cool stuff, but looking at it all makes me feel kind of ghoulish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

evilchuk1 wrote:

Yup. It's a lot of cool stuff, but looking at it all makes me feel kind of ghoulish.

When I was at I think the 2003 Convention in San Fran...I overheard a couple 12" collectors joking that they no longer looked at Classifieds to find new items for their collection... they've started watching Obituaries.

It's a little sad, and a little morbid... but I'm starting to know exactly what they're talking about.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

So if the estate sales listing is based out of Alabama, any big collectors there? i mean would that mean the stuff came from someone in alabama?

eBay Auctions for GI Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, WWE, DC & Marvel figures

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:28 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])