Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:34 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Never Seen anything like this on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

the morbidity aspect reminds me of a story a friend told me.

When he was really young, like 7 or 8, he went to this garage sale and they were selling all these toys, he remember mostly Masters of the Universe toys... like brand new ones. And the family seemed really sad at the garage sale.

In hindsight he believes that the kid must have died and they were getting rid of his toys. He had a dead boy's Fisto!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 pm 

An impressive collection for sure. I wonder how many of us will be finding cobra troopers/officers with the wrong heads and think of this guy in the hears to come. What exactly are these customs made out of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/L207-VTG-LOT-AC ... 43b4628016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

Push You Down wrote:
... And the family seemed really sad at the garage sale.

In hindsight he believes that the kid must have died and they were getting rid of his toys.

that's horrible thing to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm 
LOVES Mattel

yo-man2 wrote:
An impressive collection for sure. I wonder how many of us will be finding cobra troopers/officers with the wrong heads and think of this guy in the hears to come. What exactly are these customs made out of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/L207-VTG-LOT-AC ... 43b4628016

Good question. They appear to be motorized in some way and are marked Echo.

Never heard of that toy company before. Anyone familiar?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm 

I've seen some odd "I sold it" auctions before that seemed to be estate stuff. Not as much as this, but customs and such made into specific teams.

Now we know why Sky Patrol Airborne is hard to find! And Python Officer and trooper.

He had to do some work to get the Cobra officer head on the trooper body, didn't he? IIRC, they won't simply swap out.

What are these tanks? There's no up close photo of the turretless one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L432-VINTAGE-BOX-LOT-MILITARY-VEHICLES-TANKS-1980s-HASBRO-GI-JOE-CATEC-/300793225784?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4608ac6238

Vamp wheels on the playmobil trailer. Heh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

raptor wrote:
No, this was a dedicated collector and customizer - I suspect that if we don't know them then it's one of the Whales that they always talk about - the dedicated collectors that never made it online. He was obviously a man of means or connections to get stuff in those multitudes.

I have been looking at the lots for 20 minutes, and I am really feeling a connection with this guy. The huge effort that he made to do these giant custom projects. The literally hundreds of LBCs that he put together to have giant custom teams for display. I get why he spent so long and made such an effort to remove the silly yellow sleeves from all of his python patrol tele-vipers. The combination of 2 obscure figures (altitude and Python Patrol Crimson Guard) to make a really cool looking generic troop LBC must have taken forever to put together, but was awesome to behold.

I look at all the projects that he did, and the ones that he never got finished. I imagine where he displayed all of this, and the huge mock battles that played out on his bookshelves and tables. I feel like I kind of knew the guy - or at least this part of him. He was a guy with vision on a grand scale. All we see are the remnants of his obsessions, projects, and passions, but when he made this happen - it must have been amazing to behold.

- R
Dude, when I pass on to the great yonder, I want you to write my obituary!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Yep, Raptor summed it up well. Unfortunately we all have to go through this. Well, someone after we're gone. It doesn't matter if you say you will not collect so this doesn't happen. You still have clothes, a house, furniture, just stuff of all kinds. It happens. The best objective is to have fun in life and do what we can to be happy. No need to worry about the after. If it's handled right, our stuff will go to a good home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm 

Looking over these is really giving me an eerie feeling...I know we had a thread not long ago about what would happen to our collections after we die, and the general reaction was "meh." And I stick by that (I'm dead in this scenario...what do I care?). But seeing exactly what it will probably look like is....creeptacular.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 pm 

Excuse me, I need to go find someplace to cry...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:48 pm 

Sad that his obviously well loved collection will soon be broken up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:08 am 

I spent over an hour last night looking at each of the auctions and marvelling at both the number of figures he had and the obvious fun he had in customizing and creating his own world. Those German figures were outstanding and now I wonder why I never thought of using Dusty figures as German soldiers (with some repainting of course). In some ways his collection looks like mine. Figures tossed into boxes and sorted into teams and vehicles that have seen some action and have some character to them. While I know they are bundled up for an auction, it is nice to see figures that aren't displayed standing in rows or look like they just came out of the package. These figures were played with!!! I can only imagine the battles he had and the fun he had in the hobby.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:33 am 
Plug
Plug

Jay wrote:
yo-man2 wrote:

Good question. They appear to be motorized in some way and are marked Echo.

Never heard of that toy company before. Anyone familiar?
That one and the Catec tank Sean_C pointed are both appear to be those " 3 3/4 figure compatible" type toys that got put out around Christmas back in the day. I've never seen or heard of either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

There are more auctions of that guy's figures and such up now. Some of them contain staggering numbers of individual figures (the box of Hit & Runs and the two separate auctions for 100+ and 200+ Vipers stand out in that regard). A few of the descriptions also mention him by name (David Jensen, they say), but a quick attempt to find an obituary didn't pan out. Whatever the situation was, I agree with pretty much everyone else who said that it looks like he had a wealth of creativity and ambition, and that I hope he got as much enjoyment out of his toys as seems like he did.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 pm 

Mastermind wrote:
Those German figures were outstanding and now I wonder why I never thought of using Dusty figures as German soldiers (with some repainting of course).

I must have overllooked that lot. Which one was it?

Check out the G.I.Joe Review Podcast <-- Episode #45 now available - reviewing Special Missions Issue #5!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 pm 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L412-LG-VTG-BOX- ... 4608abcb0f

Here ya go, Sidewinder :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:34 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])