Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The 1985 vehicles are now live!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm 

This year was a BEAST! So many great vehicles, play-sets, and accessories were released.

The Crimson Guard twins arrived on the scene, complete with their own army of Guardsmen and a slew of awesome red and black Sears Exclusive vehicles. The Sentry and Missile System (SMS) and Crimson Assault Tank (C.A.T.) are two of the most coveted vehicle sets from 1980s G.I. Joe.

Cobra troops were treated to small vehicles for land, sea, and air with the Ferret, Night Landing, and Flight Pod (A.K.A. Trouble Bubble). They trained at the Rifle Range and manned the Cobra Bunker.

The Joes added to their navy, in the form of the USS Flagg and the Battle Platform. They added the A.W.E. Striker, Armadillo, Bridge Layer, Mauler, and Silver Mirage to their ground capabilities. They also added the Snow Cat to their winter force.

They added small utility vehicles like the Weapon Transport and the Bomb Disposal.

They didn't add any planes this year, but they did add the Air Defense missile system. They also added the Check Point Alpha, Ammo Dump, and Forward Observer units. They also offered the awesome mail order Parachute Pack.

Check out all the details and relive the 1985 glory at 3DJoes today!

http://www.3djoes.com/1985-overview1.html

Last edited by 3DJoes on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: The 1986 vehicles are now live!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:49 pm 

This year was, hmmmmmm, exclusive?! A lot of great vehicles, play-sets, and accessories were released, but probably the most coveted items are this years exclusives.

The Dreadnoks got a SLEW of vehicles, including two widely released vehicles (The Thunder Machine and the Swampfire) and four very rare vehicles released in two Sears Exclusive sets (the Dreadnok Air Assault and Dreadnok Ground Assault). The Thunder Machine is hands down one of my all time favorites. It is a sick Mad Max style junk heap with a jet engine welded onto the back! How can you not love that? The Swampfire was a pretty cool helicopter. The Ground Assault and Air Assault contain a repainted VAMP, RAM, Skyhawk, and FANG. These were already classic vehicles, but add color-changing Dreadnok colors to them and sell them in limited quantities at just one store and NOW you have the recipe for collectibility! These two sets are a holy grail for many G.I. Joe ARAH collectors.

The Joes added to their air force with the Conquest X-30 jet and the Tomahawk helicopter. The Cobras released the EPIC Night Raven S³P jet. This plane is amazing. It is a close second only to the Skystriker in my book.

Cobra found a real home in the Terror Drome, their first real base of operations since the 1982 Missile Command Headquarters (which was made of cardboard and had long since fallen apart or been thrown out of most kids collections). To top that off, the Terror Drome housed the Firebat, a nimble little jet flown by A.V.A.C..

Cobra troops were treated to vehicles for land, sea, and air with the STUN, Hydro-Sled, and the Air Chariot. The Chariot belonged to the new Cobra Emperor, Serpentor, so good luck getting your Cobra mitts on that one. The Cobras deployed Surveilance Ports all over to keep tabs on the Joes.

The Joes deployed Outpost Defenders and the L.A.W. to fight Cobra. Their ground forces swelled to include the H.A.V.O.C., the L.C.V. (low crawl vehicle), and Sgt. Slaughter's Triple T. Finally, they added to their navy with the Devilfish, a nimble little speed boat.

Check out all the details and relive the 1986 nostalgia at 3DJoes today!

http://www.3djoes.com/1986-overview.html

Post subject: Re: The 1985 vehicles are now live!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm 

Aw, I was really looking forward to the Flagg! Totally understandable about size restrictions for your current set up, but I'll certainly be looking forward to when you can tackle the really big stuff.

Love the site, such a great idea and well executed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:45 am 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
Aw, I was really looking forward to the Flagg! Totally understandable about size restrictions for your current set up, but I'll certainly be looking forward to when you can tackle the really big stuff.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to figure out how to document the big stuff as soon as I get through the 1994 figures. It's probably going to involve me lugging the large vehicles and playsets into a proper photography studio with a seamless wall, pro lights and a larger lazy susan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am 

3DJoes wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to figure out how to document the big stuff as soon as I get through the 1994 figures. It's probably going to involve me lugging the large vehicles and playsets into a proper photography studio with a seamless wall, pro lights and a larger lazy susan.

When you do, get some behind the scenes shots of however you manage to navigate the Flagg set up!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:22 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
3DJoes wrote:
DanOfTheDead wrote:

When you do, get some behind the scenes shots of however you manage to navigate the Flagg set up!

Will do! Great idea. You can see a little behind the scenes here:
http://arqball.com/blog/featured-arqballer-3djoes/

Post subject: The 1988 carded figures are live!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

All 17 single carded figures and 12 drivers are posted, many with multiple 3D photos! From Astro-Viper to Voltar, they're all there. 1988 was one of my favorite years, with classic Joes like Hit & Run and Shockwave, and some truly scary Cobras like Hydro-Viper and Road Pig.

Night Force and Tiger force are coming soon... Merry Christmas everyone!

http://www.3djoes.com/1988-overview.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:00 pm 
Formerly Suburbanator

The 3D display is great, but I love the close up, clear shots of the box art and details of the box as well as the great shots of the file cards.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 am 

Thanks! Yeah, I couldn't agree more. The 3D photos are only part of what I want 3D Joes to be known for.

The card art (figs) and box art (vehicles) were so important. They created an image in your head of what this figure or vehicle would look like in real life. Then when you played with one of the less impressive toys, a lot of us saw the art rather than the toy itself.

Look at 1982 Scarlett (card art = beauty, toy = beast), or the 1984 Water Moccasin (the box art's low angle perspective made it look much larger and intimidating than it's real life counterpart).

The file cards are crucial too. They were our first impression of who that character was. They informed us on how those characters would act and they breathed life into the plastic.

Similarly, the details on the vehicle boxes and the blue prints explained all of the features, accessories, and uses for those toys. They really brought those vehicles/playsets to life and showed us the possibilities for how to play with them.

All of these elements created the G.I. Joe experience. I'm attempting with 3DJoes to bring all of these elements together for the first time in a clean, beautiful interface.

I don't want to clutter it up with other superfluous info or banner ads. I may one day create posters and a book (with the images I'm accumulating as I build the site), so hopefully I can pay for the site that way. We'll see how it goes. For now, I'm focused on getting through the 1994 figures!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 am 

PS. thanks for helping me finally pen my 3DJoes mission statement :-)

Post subject: The Tiger Force has arrived!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm 

Who wasn't happy when ten early-80s Joes were re-released in new tiger-stripe gear? I know I was stoked. For us fans that started collecting in the mid-80's (myself in '86), this was our first chance to own classic figures like Duke, Recondo, Flint, and Dusty. The Tiger Force featured seven carded figures and three drivers. Nine of the ten figures were pure repaints, and one figure (Skystriker) was a combination of two previous figures.

http://www.3djoes.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 am 

1988 Night Force figures are up too! Well, other than the two I'm missing. Give me a shout if you have those for sale or for loan.

Post subject: 3DJoes Posters!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 am 

I'm making 3DJoes posters!

The first poster will feature every figure from 1982-89 and the second will feature every figure from 1990-94. There will be a whopping 244 figs on the first poster and 236 on the second. They will each be 24"W x 36"H.

This image shows the first six rows of the first poster (on the left side) and a smaller image (on the right side) of what the whole poster will look like:
https://twitter.com/3DJoes/status/28890 ... 56/photo/1

The first poster, "3DJoes of the 80s" should be available in the next couple weeks. Stay tuned to this thread for more info!

Cost will be determined by the quality of paper you want, and I'm going to use Zazzle for distribution. Proceeds will help pay the $80/month that I'm going to have to start shelling out to Arqball for the 3D photos. Viewers enjoyed 47,000 spins last month and the kickstarter grace period has finally worn off, so now I have to start paying for the pro subscription. More info on that here: http://blog.arqspin.com/pricing/

Please stay tuned for more info, and tell your G.I. Joe friends! I want to keep 3DJoes ad free by selling posters and eventually a book.

Help me get the word out and keep 3DJoes spinning ad free!

Post subject: Poster update!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 am 

I've posted more info on the 3DJoes posters, and a more recent look. The first one is almost done!

Be sure to submit your info via the link below and I'll email you when it's ready to order.

http://www.3djoes.com/merch.html

If I can use Zazzle, it looks like the 36" x 24" on "value matte paper" is $24. It can go upwards of $50 for nicer prints/paper. I might try to offer a few options so people can pick the lower price or the nicer paper. I also might still go with a local printer since I work for an Ad Agency and I might be able to get a decent deal and have more quality control.

Post subject: The 1989 figures are live! Night Force, Python Patrol, and m
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm 

This is my largest roll-out ever! 1989 saw the release of 17 single carded figures in the core line. We got new versions of some classic Joes (Deep Six, Rock 'n Roll, Snake Eyes, Stalker) and six new G.I. Joe recruits. The Cobras expanded their Viper ranks to include Alley, Frag, H.E.A.T., and Night Vipers. The Iron Grenadiers took to the skies (with T.A.R.G.A.T. and Annihilators) and the Dreadnoks hired an obnoxious poacher.

The re-paints kept coming with the second wave of Night Force two-packs, which produced some of the most sought after ARAH figures of all time. Cobra experimented with radar resistant clothing and formed the Python Patrol. Sgt. Slaughter formed a new land offensive team of seasoned Joes known as Slaughter's Marauders. All three subsets featured six re-paints each, for a total of 18 new carded figures.

Throw in nine more drivers and a mail away figure and you've got 45 new figures total. 1989 was a very good year for us G.I. Joe fans!

http://www.3djoes.com/1989-overview.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])