Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:24 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Max Brooks-an observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:20 pm 
DarkJedi'd

The other night I was watching the Mel Brooks movie, 'To Be Or Not To Be' and discovered a child actor in the movie was Mel Brook's son Max.

The name sounded familiar and while checking out books at Target, I realized that he has written the book, "World War Z", which was made into the movie with Brad Pitt.

I thought the name was familiar and realized he was the author behind GIJOE books: 'GIJOE Tales from the Cobra Wars' http://amzn.com/1600108814 and 'GIJOE Hearts and Minds' http://amzn.com/1600107761.

Not necessarily new news, but I thought I'd pass on this observation...

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Max Brooks-an observation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

DarkJedi wrote:
The name sounded familiar and while checking out books at Target, I realized that he has written the book, "World War Z", which was made into the movie with Brad Pitt.

The only similarity is the title... and one minor character...otherwise there really isn't any connection.

He tends to do a panel at SDCC each year. He'll talk a little bit about GI JOE if it comes up but most people talk to him about Zombies.
I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gotten him to do a GI Joe/Zombie comic. Maybe Hasbro is reluctant to let them do a GI JOE Horror.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:51 pm 

MJTanner wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:

The only similarity is the title... and one minor character...otherwise there really isn't any connection.

He tends to do a panel at SDCC each year. He'll talk a little bit about GI JOE if it comes up but most people talk to him about Zombies.
I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gotten him to do a GI Joe/Zombie comic. Maybe Hasbro is reluctant to let them do a GI JOE Horror.

Considering they MADE a Zombie-Viper, it's certainly not impossible. But yeah, they might not want to do anything as explicit as a zombie story. It's one thing to have a zombie figure, another to show it in action. If it were to happen though, Brooks would be a great choice to pen it. Hearts and Minds, what I picked up, was pretty good. I really liked how he handled Spirit. The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z are probably the best zombie literature I've ever read. Movie wasn't as bad as I thought, but it really only touched on some of the amazing vignettes WWZ gets into. It's a pretty smart read, too... some of it's just pure zombie vs. military fun, other parts can be pretty brainy takes on how a world wide catastrophe would effect the world's governments. The audio book is AMAZING, has some really great talent reading the various stories. Henry Rollins as the body guard for the reality show chapter was particularly fun.

Anyone read Tales from the Cobra Wars? I think he only wrote some of it, as it's an anthology (I believe). Been tempted, but I haven't read a GI Joe "book" since the Find Your Fate series. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm 
LOVES Mattel

Wasn't GI Joe involved in IDW's multi-license crossover event Infestation? That had zombies.
Although Brooks wasn't involved... the whole project was headed by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm 

Yeah the Infestation books are the only G.I. Joe comics I haven't bought. I have no interest in G.I. Joe versus zombies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:49 am 

Quote:
Anyone read Tales from the Cobra Wars? I think he only wrote some of it, as it's an anthology (I believe). Been tempted, but I haven't read a GI Joe "book" since the Find Your Fate series. :)

Yeah, I ran down a copy when it first came out. The short stories are all pretty good and Max Brooks wrote a "surprise" short story (not listed in the table of contents) that's really probably the best one in there, though Skidmark's story was pretty good too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:24 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])