Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GIJCC Figures vs. MattyCollector He-Man
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 pm 

With all the talk of the death of the line going on, as usual, I was just wondering about the GIJCC being the only outlet for new figures at some point down the line and them in comparison to MattyCollector. I checked out the He-Man figs the other day and saw that He-man was $27. That seems like a pretty good deal considering the Club sells Joes for about $30 with a full subscription and $37.50 without. I would have thought a He-Man figure would be more expensive than a Joe. What am I missing here? How can they be cheaper than a Gi Joe figure. They look much larger and they have pretty good articulation and great paint apps. I just don't get it.

If we do get into a situation where the club is the only place to get figures, I would hope the price could be brought down to about $20, otherwise, its gonna get tough on the bank account.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: GIJCC Figures vs. MattyCollector He-Man
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:45 pm 
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN
MR FACTUALLY ACCURATE FACTSMAN

I'm sure the production runs for the club are smaller, which will up the per figure price, but a fair amount of it is "because they can".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 pm 

I could have sworn He-Man was $20 or $22 before. I kind of want one, but not really that much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm 

With He-Man ( MotU Classics ) the price is reasonable for a single figure, but the new shipping option is not good, they also have a Quarterly shipping option as well. :-/

But HTS.com did have the Only option to get New Joes/Cobras years ago with their DTC ( Direct to Consumer ) failure, i guess it depends on retail stores wanting to carry them or not. :-/

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm 
HATES Mattel

Also, Matty is part of Mattel so there's no kickback to the parent company that customers have to subsidize.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm 
LOVES Mattel

Yeah, I'd say if Hasbro needs to start selling direct to consumer via online stores... using HasbroToyShop would probably be the wiser choice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:59 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

If it were to come to that, sign up subscriptions with a real meter and goal would be the way to go. Matty's sign up is all hypothetical and you just have to take their word for it that the amount of people that signed up is true. Hasbro, through hasbrotoyshop, could set goals of so many sign ups and price per is this much, so many more and they are this much, and so on. It could easily work.

As of now, it still looks like they sell ok in stores. As we all know though, most of the issues is lack of Hasbro's promotionals. No cartoons, no commercials, no advertising, no nothing. Yeah there was the movie, but nothing to ride off of it now since it's done ok in theaters. But still without any of that, the figures are still somehow selling in store.

So I figure we are still a little away from seeing them having to go to direct sell only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Plug
Plug

Two very completely different entities with very different business models and objectives.

GIJCC isn't an extension of Hasbro. They have a contract with Hasbro for the fan conventions and exclusive rights to produce product that has to be approved by Hasbro.

MattyCollector is the online store for Mattel.

Hasbro Toy Shop, while owned by Hasbro, might as well be a totally different company. With the exception of the SDCC stuff, they don't get any special product that other online or brick and mortar places get. They don't get the product sooner than other places (for the most part). And their prices are comparable. It isn't set up to be a MattyCollector. not yet anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:45 am 
Strong Fat Tongue

pluv wrote:
Hasbro Toy Shop, while owned by Hasbro, might as well be a totally different company. With the exception of the SDCC stuff, they don't get any special product that other online or brick and mortar places get. They don't get the product sooner than other places (for the most part). And their prices are comparable. It isn't set up to be a MattyCollector. not yet anyway.

When they were doing the DTC figures, I thought that was a great model. It gave us one place to look for new stock, and honestly, I dont see why they dont utilize that format more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Kilcarr wrote:
When they were doing the DTC figures, I thought that was a great model. It gave us one place to look for new stock, and honestly, I dont see why they dont utilize that format more.

I wish they would do that, too, but I have a feeling the don't because of the GIJCC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 pm 
Strong Fat Tongue

MarkM wrote:
Kilcarr wrote:

I wish they would do that, too, but I have a feeling the don't because of the GIJCC.

Really? Why not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

Yea I'd like to think that Hasbro doesn't give a fig about keeping the 'club' happy. It's more the other way around.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

I think DTC just didn't work well for them and it's left the higher ups not wanting to chance that again. It could probably work done a little bit different but getting the CEOs to green light something sounds like a huge hassle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:08 pm 
HATES Mattel

They don't use HTS worth a damn because that would piss off WalMart. The Club's feelings are irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Sorry, I didn't mean because of the Club's feelings or anything like that. I think they just look at how well the Club's typical stuff sells (MOTH, AT, etc.) and decided it wouldn't really be worth it. Granted, cost is a major factor with a lot of the Club's stuff not selling, and if Hasbro brought the exclusives in-house, that should lower cost, but I just don't think Hasbro really wants that sort of hassle for relatively low sales.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])