Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shooter - Number 14 of the Original 13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 pm 
Formerly Suburbanator

A few months ago, JC member Falcone did one of those Kickstarter things trying to get some figures made. He started out with Shooter, a female figure that was available in a couple of ethnicities and uniform styles. I thought the figure was kinda cool looking so I invested enough to get two of the figures.
The over all design of the figure is just like a classic ARAH O-ring figure with one exception. She has a head, front and back of the torso, upper and lower arms with swivel arms, waist, inner and outer thighs and lower legs along with an O-ring and metal t-bar. The exception from the ARAH figures is that she also has separate hands so her hands will swivel at the wrist. She also comes with two heads, one with a helmet, one without. While the heads aren't as easy to swap out as an ME figure, it just takes a little bit of loosening of the back screw without taking the two torso halves apart and the heads pop in and out. The other included accessory is a sniper rifle.
With the two figures I chose, one looks like she'd fit right in with the Original 13, being dressed in all olive drab green with nicely detailed and painted web gear. The other figure I received is similar, but has a black shirt on and the web gear isn't painted. I like the sculpt as it it very reminiscent of the first 1982/83 figures; simple in design, a real world took to her, and effective articulation.

The added wrist articulation gives her an advantage over the ARAH figures as she can hold her rifle a little more realistically. The included sniper rifle is a bit on the small side and would look really cool if it was a bit bigger, like maybe three times bigger. It has a thumb hole style stock that makes it difficult for her to hold the rifle, so I cut off the bottom of the thumb hole part and made it a regular pistol grip style, this helped out a lot. She is able to hold other rifles nicely, so I think she may be getting something from Marauder's. Her hands seem to be made of a slightly softer plastic so as to avoid breaking the thumb and hands.
Her quality is obviously lower than what you'd expect from Hasbro, but I won't hold that against the figure, simply because this a small start up and I know they had to keep prices low as well as you never get 100% on the first try. That being said, she is better made than some mass produced figures I've come across and I wouldn't hesitate to but more figures if Falcone has more planned.

A couple of issues though, her waist is more like the dreaded diaper crotch, when sitting her legs do go forward, but don't take on a full 90 to her body, but she will sit in a vehicle just fine. The hands will come out as you're manipulating them, I think that is simply a case of the knob on the end of the post being a tad too small. My figure with the black shirt also tends to lose her right arm at the bicep swivel for the same reason.

She is taller than ARAH figures and the average height ME figure, but would still fit in with either figure style.

After all is said and done, I'd give her an eight out of ten. O-ring enthusiasts will like her as she has the classic look and feel to her. I think she fits in well with the Joe figures as she has that kind of look, not a real as the bbi figures, not as generic as PTE figures, she looks like she belongs. Maybe the next run will have a an improvement on the hands and arm swivels. Her rifle is kinda meh, but can be easily swapped out with something from the Joe line or Marauder's. If you're the type of collector who likes something unique and different, Shooter would be a good figure to add to your collection.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Shooter - Number 14 of the Original 13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Nicely said... I haven't done much with the 3 I kickstarted since they arrived... I didn't have the heart to post a review as I figured It'd end as nothing but negativity....

Being as Picky as I am about figures maintaining a "standard buck" I might try and salvage the Head and Chest with some Vintage Parts... I had hoped the legs would be useable...they might be, but I'd have to chop off a big part of the boots.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 pm 

Good to see a review of these. I really applaud the effort, but like you, there are some things I would change. For me, to have the figure fit in the OG13, its all about the rest of the parts.

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 46.16 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]

When I look at the figure in this context, I'd probably buy one :-D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:12 pm 

I never knew they were finally available...I think it's a pretty solid effort for the first time out of the gate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm 

Thanks Matthew for showing the compatability with vintage ARAH pieces. Wasn't sure I wanted to get one, but now I know I have to. With limited choices of ARAH female torso this little gem helps out a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm 

husker85 wrote:
Thanks Matthew for showing the compatability with vintage ARAH pieces. Wasn't sure I wanted to get one, but now I know I have to. With limited choices of ARAH female torso this little gem helps out a lot.

It is a photoshop mock up. The parts are the right sizing, but don't know how they will actually fit together.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

I really love the effort put into this figure, and the torso and alt heads are great. If you compare this to the original model/sculpt, then you can see that the figure did not come out as well as planned.

The scale gets me the most, but I have played around with integrating RAH parts with the figure.

The best part of this project is that Falcone has opened the door for new RAH figures. I can't wait to see his next offering!

:ghost::mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am 

Looks like replacing the lower legs or just the boots might fix the height issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 pm 

I love the shooter figure, sure she's taller than the typical ARAH fig and the quality of plastic may not be on par with Hasbro production. But this was the first new Joe I've purchased in long time, and she fits in well with my ARAH figs all the same and she's fun to play with.

Falcone has done something I've only ever talked or dreamed about, I have the upmost respect for him taking on this endeavor, hes done a much better job than I ever could and I can't wait to see what he may produce next.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 pm 

Is Falcone still making/selling these?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

harlie wrote:
Is Falcone still making/selling these?

http://www.legionfourteenproductions.co ... h=41_34_36

:ghost::mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])