Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:54 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe "Shattered Glass" theme from the Club?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:33 pm 
Nanomite enhanced

Based on what has been done in the Club comic so far, this would be an easy pass. I don't think Joes in Cobra blue uniforms are the least bit interesting. With Transformers, there were more opportunities to create interesting looks based on a given character's nemesis or foreign analogue, etc. I was discussing the story with General Hawk at JoeCon (an advantage of being roommates), and I don't really even understand the Club's approach. It isn't 100% clear in what timeframe the Adventure Team story takes place, but I'm guessing that it is prior to the formation of the RAH G.I. Joe team. Therefore, to the AT members, they wouldn't wonder why Wild Bill is a Cobra, because they don't know what Cobra is or who Wild Bill is.

I agree that Worlds Without End is a good starting point, especially if we get police Dreadnoks.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 pm 

Honestly, I wouldn't want to see "Worlds Without End", because apart from the storyline differences, and the Baroness apparently preferring contacts to glasses, there weren't really a lot of VISUAL differences between the two universes -- although a three-pack of Dreadnoks in cop uniforms could be amusing.

In a "Shattered Glass" storyline, the Club would be more free to create the character likenesses as they saw fit. Granted, some of this might amount to putting existing Joe character heads on Cobra uniform bodies, but I think they would be more imaginative than that.

Now, I'd like to see Sky Patrol myself, but I do think that at some point, the Club is going to run out of bringing characters from the original Real American Hero line and even the newsculpt line into the modern line that enough fans really want to see to make it worth the effort. So, they're exploring new possibilities. "Shattered Glass" isn't a bad choice. And speaking for myself, I've generally gotten a kick out of "Mirror Universe" type stories.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

As a customizer, I find this weak and generally lazy. If the club wants to slap a Wild Bill head on a Wild Weasel body and charge me $25+ for the opportunity to buy it, well, they can say hello to my little friend ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm 

Attachment:
1961862_10154008560620543_6855232114112270654_o.jpg
1961862_10154008560620543_6855232114112270654_o.jpg [ 56.1 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 pm 

Got It!!

http://www.joecustoms.com/projects/proj ... =mirroruni

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

For Transformers shattered glass makes sense because the only thing you can really do with the transformer is put a new head on it and give it some new colors you can't switch parts you can't mess with the engineering or they don't transform anymore.

For G.I. Joe where you can make a brand-new figure with as little as a new head or maybe some new web gear shattered glass is really really lazy

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:13 pm 

Geez. 80% of what the club does is generally weak and lazy as it is. Why not at least get something conceptually different out if it?

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 pm 

I should add this thought, though: if this 'Shattered Mirror' were IN ADDITION to a normal con set AND IN ADDITION to a continuing FSS, well, then. My attitude would change to 'knock yourselves out.'

NOT REPLACEMENT FOR

Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
King of Daikaiju

Lance Sputnik wrote:
Geez. 80% of what the club does is generally weak and lazy as it is. Why not at least get something conceptually different out if it?
This was pretty much my thinking too.
I mean you really can't get much lazier than the Crimson Strike Team. Especially when they decided to do it a SECOND time.

I don't really think a Wild Bill head on a Wild Weasel body would be very interesting. But Wild Bill in his own uniform, with Wild Weasel's color palette, could be kind of cool. That is more like the SG Transformers. They didn't put Optimus Prime's head on a Megatron figure and call it good. They left Optimus looking like Optimus, and changed his color scheme.

things aren't as pretty... on the inside"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

I've been reading the story in the Club Newsletters, and it's just not something that appeals to me. I guess the story is sort of amusing, but I have no interest at all in any figures. I agree that there's just so much other stuff out there that can still be done- I would be pretty disappointed if this is where the Club devotes any upcoming resources. I have a feeling it would be their biggest bomb yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 am 
LOVES Mattel

I suddenly realized a Shattered Glass Snake-Eyes.....

is basically Deadpool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 am 

MarkM wrote:

Yeah, this is what I'd want. Baroness in her loungewear, Baroness' body guards, the skeleton head from the DVD packs on a Steeler body with Steeler's headgear...

And I'm being serious with that, too. That was probably my absolute favorite episode when I was a kid. It blew my mind.

Let's not forget tan Clutch is there. :clutch2:

I also say no to shattered glass. I'm afraid they will go with the con attendee "vote".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am 

Hopefully they'll read the feedback on the forums and Facebook groups, which seems to be overwhelmingly negative. I guess in person, people are more likely to say they like something because they don't want to embarrass or disappoint anybody.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:49 am 
Thomas from Missourri

This sounds like an awful idea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

GITrekker wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't want to see "Worlds Without End", because apart from the storyline differences, and the Baroness apparently preferring contacts to glasses, there weren't really a lot of VISUAL differences between the two universes -- although a three-pack of Dreadnoks in cop uniforms could be amusing.

In a "Shattered Glass" storyline, the Club would be more free to create the character likenesses as they saw fit. Granted, some of this might amount to putting existing Joe character heads on Cobra uniform bodies, but I think they would be more imaginative than that.

I have to disagree with this. I would not overlook the potential involved with expanding the Worlds Without End universe. The premise is already tied into Joe canon (cartoon) and wouldn't need to be shoehorned in by the Club.

If you recall in that episode, a great many of the original Joes are either dead or missing. This would give the Club the freedom\leeway to create new Joe characters\likenesses and have it still fit in. For example, they could potentially tap some of the children or relatives of the WWE alternaverse Joes to join the team.

They could also feed off the schism which the episode left off at between CC and Destro. Or even bring in the Baroness' Athena army from DDP.

It has a lot of different directions to offer and still not feel forced in by the Club.

GITrekker wrote:
...but I do think that at some point, the Club is going to run out of bringing characters from the original Real American Hero line and even the newsculpt line into the modern line that enough fans really want to see to make it worth the effort.

On this point, I couldn't agree with you more. The GI Joe universe has hundreds of characters for potential as modern releases. However, the list is finite. At some point, the club will need to look at other options. I just think the Club should continue to work on releasing those characters before forcing in a completely new concept. There are still way too many existing characters not yet released\re-done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:54 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])