Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Avengers: AoU movie line = 2.5" scale :(
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:21 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/avengers-a ... ml?src=rss

From these previews it looks like the Guardians of the Galaxy toys were just the beginning of the move to 2.5" scale for Marvel movies. The Avengers AoU line appears to be 2.5" along with the basic 12" figures and an action feature Hulkbuster. The modular playsets building an "Avengers" tower look like they could have possibilities for 4" collectors but we'll have to see more pictures before knowing for certain.

But I like the looks of that new Quinjet. Should be in the same size category as the Milano which means I can use it for Minimates.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Avengers: AoU movie line = 2.5" scale :(
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 pm 

I feel like we've been asking for modular playsets for YEARS. Crap in a hat that they did this at this scale.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:51 am 

Annnnddd -- I wish I could say I was surprised. I'm not. Disappointed, certainly. Angry, a bit. But not terribly surprised. Maybe there'll be some decent Marvel Legends-sized figures. But I've pretty much given up on Hasbro producing anything decent for the 4" scale except what they have to to extend the basic Marvel Universe and Star Wars lines for as long as they can milk money out of them. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Star Wars switch to 2.5" scale with the next movie.

Cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am 

As someone that really enjoys mini figures and thinks Mega Bloks Call of Duty figures are the best bang for your buck since the original ARAH line...

I don't get this **** at all.

Small and well articulated is a proven successful formula (ARAH, Mega Bloks Call of Duty and Minimates and the many Minimate knock offs). There is a market for that combination of features.

Small with less articulation in a day and age when people want MORE articulation? Why? Who asked for this :rotfl: ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:06 am 
LOVES Mattel

4" figures!
http://news.toyark.com/2015/01/11/aveng ... ges-148049

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 am 
HATES Mattel

And what I loved about the GotG minifigs is how Target never sold the ships they were meant to be accessories to. Good times, good times...

I wonder if we'll ever see Hasbro sublease the license to let someone else make collector-grade 18th figs, like they did letting Sideshow make the SW and Joe 12" figs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am 

We asked for vehicles and playsets, but parents don't want to spend the big bucks on some toys that will end up on the pile a few weeks after their kids have seen the movie.
What to do? Oh, let's make them smaller with less articulations to save on production costs.

MASK was on a smaller scale and it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:30 am 

Yes, there is also a four inch line that is 5POA and apparently already showing at Target on clearance. Gotta love DC whatever code mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:16 pm 

Jay wrote:

4" figures -- not articulated worth a darn -- and already marked for clearance, which is pretty darned funny. Either that or they know what spectacular sellers they're going to be and just want to get them out of the store as quickly as possible so they don't gather too much dust.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

GITrekker wrote:
Jay wrote:

4" figures -- not articulated worth a darn -- and already marked for clearance, which is pretty darned funny. Either that or they know what spectacular sellers they're going to be and just want to get them out of the store as quickly as possible so they don't gather too much dust.

I'm betting the store sent them straight to clearance. They're the same exact figures that pegwarmed my area Targets for months before moving to the clearance racks right around the holidays.

Hasbro is trying lower POA and smaller scale with playsets/vehicles to see if the mainstream kid audience will bite, but it's a half-ass effort that I'm pretty sure resulted from the duration of their licensing deal with Marvel and Wal-Mart's insistence that there be toy product on the shelves tied to every major movie release.

I don't think that means the end of 1:18 entirely is approaching. I just think they will continue to price those offerings higher and aim them at collectors, all the while reducing things like articulation and accessories to enhance their profit margin (because those adult collectors mostly leave their toys in packaging, anyway, right?).

I fear it's the adult enthusiast/customizer that's going to get shaftedd hardest and fastest by this strategy. But we can take comfort in the fact that scalpers/speculators are bound to get burned as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm 

The characters from the various Avengers movies have been on the pegs for so long that they're not selling anymore.
I think that the smaller scale is an attempt to offer something new while being stuck with the same few characters once again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:04 pm 

Someone screwed up putting those figures on clearance. Target did the same thing last year with post Xmas reset, putting DC Multiverse on clearance before fixing that issue. Happened a few times when I worked at Target few years back.

It was pointed out those aren't repacks, but new sculpts, Cap with new suit and Hulk with the movie sculpt. Saw that one of the guys at HT picked up the Hulk/IM Hullkbuster 2pk of the 2.5in figures. Hullkbuster armor opens up to fit a ironman figure inside(sold separately). No interest in the line, but thought that was a cool feature.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm 
Formerly Push You Down

slim19722 wrote:
Someone screwed up putting those figures on clearance. Target did the same thing last year with post Xmas reset, putting DC Multiverse on clearance before fixing that issue. Happened a few times when I worked at Target few years back.

It was pointed out those aren't repacks, but new sculpts, Cap with new suit and Hulk with the movie sculpt. Saw that one of the guys at HT picked up the Hulk/IM Hullkbuster 2pk of the 2.5in figures. Hullkbuster armor opens up to fit a ironman figure inside(sold separately). No interest in the line, but thought that was a cool feature.

I actually hadn't noticed that Cap's sculpt was new (is Hulk's new or just a better paint job). I may pick up the cap and kitbash previous movie Cap parts on to it for an accurate version.

It's not accurate but I've been thinking of picking up the Playskool version of the Hulkbuster for use with the MU figures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:34 am 

Redmao wrote:
The characters from the various Avengers movies have been on the pegs for so long that they're not selling anymore.
I think that the smaller scale is an attempt to offer something new while being stuck with the same few characters once again.

I have zero interest in Avengers figures due to the same old character retreads. Dear GOD they need some fresh characters . I'd be happy with an animated Avengers Assemble version of the Falcon (armor and helmet). I wince when i see most Avengers / Marvel toys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:59 am 

This may be a pointless question since we didn't know there was a four inch line until they showed up at Target on clearance, but will there be a Vision or an Ultron? Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver? I expect the retreads, but it would be nice to get a new character.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])