Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 6:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hands and weapons. Help!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:47 pm 

Hey guys,

This isn't a customization issue per se, more an issue that I experience with just taking the various figures out of the containers. So, I'm going to put this here, and if a mod feels it's more appropriate moving this topic, please feel free to move it. In fact, if I ever start a topic that is better suited to another sub forum, please move it.

So, here's my issue. When I "played" with my Joes as a kid, we started out, of course, with the dinosaur action figures. The heads turned. The arms went up and down. The legs moved. No swivel anything. But the hands held the weapons that were included without much issue. The only problem that occasionally crept up was a broken thumb or two. In all the years I played with my Joes, I don't ever recall breaking one of my own figures in such a way. It was my friends that had the problem.

Fast forward to 2015. We are way beyond Kung Fu grip here. The weapon choices are legion. And the figures have bending arms, wrists that turn and bend. But with all this level of detail, which is great, there seems to be one problem.

The hands won't hold the guns. Or, they do so with great difficulty.

This isn't a complaint really, more a brain storm (ooo, cool name for a figure!) I love all the detail, and the trigger fingers sticking forward. But if a hand can't hold a gun, then what good is all that detail?

So, how do you guys deal with this? Short of sticking little teeny tiny magnets on the weapons and hands, how can I improve the grip I'm getting from my figures? Is there some kind of sticky material I can "apply" to the inside of the hands, maybe, to improve the adhesion..without ruining any paint applied to the weapon?

If this has been addressed elsewhere, I apologize. I've looked on Google with joecustoms.com and a variety of phrases, and I don't see a similar topic. Nor do I see this listed under problem areas in the customizing guide wiki, though I'm not sure it would really fit there, anyway (maybe if there is a custom method to make the figures better hold their weapons). But I think it's important that my guy not drop his sword, or uzi, or machine gun mid fight.

I'm kinda funny like that! :)

Thanks in advance for the input, gang!

Bill

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Hands and weapons. Help!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:52 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I keep all the little plastic clear rubber bands that hold the figures in the packaging and use them to wrap around the weapon to keep it in place.

Also use the bands to keep pistols in holsters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:53 pm 
HATES Mattel

If the trigger finger isn't fully separate from the others, I cut it so it is and then jam said finger into the trigger loop. Heating the hand up and pressmolding it around the handle should help as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:55 pm 

I often wrap just the right amount of tape (usually either black electrical or black duct tape) around the grip of the gun until it's nice and snug.

For really small grips, you can even wap little black rubber bands around them.

Occasionally a grip is already too big, and then I shave off a bit with an Exacto.

I'll add example pics if desired.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:55 pm 

Heat the hand up with a blow dryer, adjust the grip as needed, then run it under cold water. The piece should hold the new shape for a while (months, weeks, forever) with mileage varying with each figure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm 

Some good ideas. Thanks, all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 6:37 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])