Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Captain Action Kickstarter - Coming Soon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:47 pm 

Captain Action prototypes

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Captain Action Kickstarter - Coming Soon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 am 
HATES Mattel

I'm really missing the torso artic, but it's a BFS product so it should still be really nice otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

The heads are fantastic. Honestly? Would love a set of the heads, that I may or may not use with another set of similar but superior bodies that may or may not be arriving in February.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 am 
HATES Mattel

I'm looking at the ankles and thinking there's a swivel both above and below the hinge. I doubt the heads will be pop-swappable onto HACKS as BFS want to keep those proprietary in all respects - which is why these lack any torso artic aside from the waist swivel. But we JCers know how to make a head go where it don't want to, so it won't be any big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:52 am 

I want those figures, but I hate Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:13 am 

I have to disagree with you on Kickstarter. I love the platform. So many good figures now exist that would have never been able to get the capital needed to be produced.

Here are a couple more variants that will be available during the KS that should start sometime in January. I think that there are also 2 more figures that will be announced during the campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:37 am 
HATES Mattel

Yeah, what's to hate about KS?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:46 am 

Not a big fan of pay now and get your stuff eventually.
I appreciate how the platform helps many people to launch their projects, but I guess I'm not patient enough, so it's not for me.

I've been had on a campaign and I'm still waiting for some stuff after two years even if the project was announced as a way to simply speed up production. The project managers weren't start-ups either, but established companies.

The KS company itself doesn't protect the backers enough aside from a warning text. Once they get their cut, they wash their hands of whatever happens and I don't like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:25 am 

Another figure shown today

Jet Jungle

I'm not really familiar with the character but I like the look of the figure. Has an Aquaman feel to him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:57 am 
HATES Mattel

Reading the CA wiki, I'm thinking a lot of these guys are recent additions to the canon. I'm thinking it's a mistake to focus on just one figure with headswaps. If they'd stuck to the original plan of the full line, I'm thinking the contributors would have been more excited and contributed more overall, and these repaints would have been an easy second wave once the company and process were in place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am 

Well it would probably be more accurate to call this line a MEGO line rather than Captain Action because Action Jackson and Jet Jungle were both separate properties both done by MEGO.

As for the re-use of the buck I think is a pretty good way to get some of these characters in action figure form. The Amazing Heroes kickstarter was successful using this strategy. They were in the wrong scale and form factor for me but still successful.
We shall see in February if his strategy will work. I'm glad he didn't go with his original plan to do the whole line in "retro" style and instead commissioned this modern update from Boss Fight.

I'll try to dig up the original concept but they were very similar to his 6 Million Dollar Man figures.

I've also urged him to add some reasonable "blank" colors that with a water slide the figure can assume the role of Superman, Batman, or any other Super Hero he assumed the identity of.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:14 pm 

Redmao wrote:
Not a big fan of pay now and get your stuff eventually.
I appreciate how the platform helps many people to launch their projects, but I guess I'm not patient enough, so it's not for me.

I've been had on a campaign and I'm still waiting for some stuff after two years even if the project was announced as a way to simply speed up production. The project managers weren't start-ups either, but established companies.

The KS company itself doesn't protect the backers enough aside from a warning text. Once they get their cut, they wash their hands of whatever happens and I don't like that.

Yeah it's kinda the wild west and you have to do some research to see if a project manager can actually deliver. I try to stay fairly conservative on what I'm willing to get into but even that isn't a sure thing.
Hopefully these will find some kind of retail release if the campaign is funded.

So the campaign will consist of 5 main figures
The 4 prototypes show already and one more that will be revealed tomorrow. There will also be the 2 alternate CA figures that will be stretch goals of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:02 pm 
HATES Mattel

What company/dude is this, and where are you getting your info, Archi?

Either way, I do hope these succeed; but I sure do miss the Lady Action and Dr Evil figures too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:13 pm 

Craig Owen of ZICA Toys

He did a lot of work on 8" 12" MEGO style figures and recently started 1:18ish scale figures.

He came out with the 6 Million Dollar man retro figures and does a lot of work on the Bif Bang Pow Twilight Zone figures.

As far as modern figures He's doing these Captian Action figures and working with Bill Murphy of Fresh Monkey Fiction and Boss Fight to do the Eagle Force line.

I came across a forum he has a section in and responds to any questions pretty quickly.

Mego Museum

I also hope he gets around to Dr. Evil and Lady Action.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:25 pm 

Oh yeah, I forgot that they were trying to bring back Eagle Force...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])