Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 12:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coral Cobra
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

My first sea vehicle custom, the Coral Cobra!

Attachment:
HB1.JPG
HB1.JPG [ 208.52 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

Attachment:
HB2.jpg
HB2.jpg [ 195.72 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

Attachment:
HB3.jpg
HB3.jpg [ 188.29 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

Parts list
Lower part: Water Moccasin '84
Upper part: H.I.S.S. '83
Polar Battle Bear '83 guns
D.E.M.O.N. '88 cannon
Thunderclap '89 turret
F.A.N.G. '83 rotor blades
Hammerhead '90 torpedoes
H.I.S.S. '02 canopy
Styrene

All parts have been modified in some way. Also added extra pegs to put the torpedoes on.
Paint scheme was an experiment, I recently saw a technique called water dipping. Not sure on the result, it might look a little sloppy.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Coral Cobra
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 am 

the build is nice. the paint is fricken awesome! i like it for ocean camo a lot. looks like it might shift around (not in the real world without some mind altering substance) all over to blend in.

i'm curious about the process. several yrs ago hydro dipping was a big fad for guns/parts. it was a film with pics/pattern that floated on water. dip the part in and the film covered it iirc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 pm 

I think the paint dip is a success as an experiment for sure. I think it somehow looks too "advanced", like I dont know that it would fit in with classic vehicles, but on it's own it looks great. The build is stellar, and the swirls make it a little hard to appreciate all the great stuff going on UNDER the paint job, but I can totally see why you wanted to try out that technique and it sure looks like it worked well.

Does that make any sense? I think it's a killer custom vehicle and I think you did a great job on a new and advanced painting approach, I'm just not sure they work together as well as either of those elements does on their own.

Excellent work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:34 pm 

if you "fuzzed" the image like 80's cartoon on tv i think it would look arah level. i do agree in hi def the effect out shadows the good build.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm 
Plug
Plug

The paint dip worked great. I checked out all the other entries thus far and just going by paint, yours stood out the most. It is phenominal. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:56 am 

It looks super awesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:43 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

2DARK2C wrote:
the build is nice. the paint is fricken awesome! i like it for ocean camo a lot. looks like it might shift around (not in the real world without some mind altering substance) all over to blend in.
i'm curious about the process. several yrs ago hydro dipping was a big fad for guns/parts. it was a film with pics/pattern that floated on water. dip the part in and the film covered it iirc.

Thanks, man!
What you're talking about is slightly different to what I did. Your technique uses a film indeed, I used only water and spray paint. I haven't researched it, but I see both techniques described as both hydro and water dipping. The spray can version is actually pretty easy if you work carefully. Check out this video:

DanOfTheDead wrote:
I think the paint dip is a success as an experiment for sure. I think it somehow looks too "advanced", like I dont know that it would fit in with classic vehicles, but on it's own it looks great. The build is stellar, and the swirls make it a little hard to appreciate all the great stuff going on UNDER the paint job, but I can totally see why you wanted to try out that technique and it sure looks like it worked well.
Does that make any sense? I think it's a killer custom vehicle and I think you did a great job on a new and advanced painting approach, I'm just not sure they work together as well as either of those elements does on their own.
Excellent work.

Thanks Dan! I actually feel the same: I like the experiment and the outcome, but I'm not sure if it fits my ARAH collection. Looks a bit too vibrant/"busy", as there is hardly any neon and certainly no Eco Warriors or Mega Marine stuff in my collection.
The paint job camouflages well, as you say, but small details do fade away slightly.

pluv wrote:
The paint dip worked great. I checked out all the other entries thus far and just going by paint, yours stood out the most. It is phenominal. Good luck!

Thank you, Pluv! I ended up second place together with another contestant, but it the fun of the building process that I enjoyed best.

josh.kestner wrote:
It looks super awesome

Thanks, Josh!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am 

Another way to appreciate the Hiss tank body design.

It's the inspiration for many of my micro builds.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 12:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])