Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:00 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2dark2 CV19
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:29 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

that Rocketeer head is OUT F'N STANDING!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm 

thanks jm70. he is eevil rocketeer though :) no good guys in that timeline of my verse.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:30 pm 

Man, the stuff you come up with is always amazing.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:36 pm 

thanks sgcaper!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 am 
Plug
Plug

That Rocketeer is superb!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm 

thanks pluv!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 pm 

here is my first before pic of gotg. for lots of before pics and neato stuff check this thred that was mt "dump" before we went to quarantine.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47081&start=60

i have been on gotg for a few days now. with a few victories and lots of failures. thinks have gone bad mostly from picking the wrong glue for a given job or trying something new that wasn't too smart. also not waiting for things to dry a day before the next step. i got pics on my camera and images of lifting detail burned in my brain!

right now i am stalling and need to go see if my drax "tattoos" are a total loss or if somehow they settled back down.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:49 pm 

here is a mistake that snowballed. i have it fixed now, but it might save someone else so i'll add it.
the first oops was cutting a hole in the vest while cutting the canteen off (zartans vest iirc). i patched it wuth some making tape on the inside and uv glue filler. it worked well. then i decided the vest internal closure (peg through disc) was making it sit funny. so i snipped that off. now oops number 2 was using the same uv glue tape idea on the seam.
it was going great and i had it all painted when i realized with the seam secure it would be impossible to put back on my now painted figure. this vest doesn't open in front because of a faux scarf, so i had to cut that off. while putting it on that seam with the uv glue popped out easily, so hot glue was used to secure the seam and hold the vest snug to the figure. i squirted it liberally at the seam and into the back peg hole. i also made the scarf out of it, though not as nice as the factory.
i've had the idea that my gotg were earthbound in an alternate timeline so i wanted them to be armed with firearms, but not too sci-fi tech. these pistols were better in my planning than how they turned out. i might start all over at some point. i wanted to mimic the pistols i've seen him used but with slides top and bottom like some steampunk creation. i used steel push pins to hold the 2 fortnite guns together. then i used hot glue to "fill in". that left big and ugly globs all over. so i had to heat smooth, trim etc, over and over.

hey it's starlord, kinda.

a complete new gamora wip. i used my previous scar(let) custom base and some xmen? legs. the head is gamora from the white suited figure. it looks like jennifer aniston.

it pains me to say, but the afore mentioned drax tats were a total loss. i hate to even post them in wips because i might not get them as good again. but i will share. i used some weird old "stain glass" paint a few days ago on my landshark, it looks killer! at that point i got the idea to use it on drax to get that raised red tattoo texture. the paint is like globbing on blood and smells like some sour mash. i even took notes of where to try and place them.
the difference was i washed the shark with color before i put the red on, and the red is in much thicker lines.
soon after these pics i washed the figure with green and noticed some tiny bits of red peeling off. i stopped and gave it hours to dry, but it all started lifting.

i haven't scrubbed the head yet. after this pics i waited 10 or so hrs then lightly washed with green. it might be ok.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 pm 

back on the rocketeer front i had some good luck making his weapons.
i was going to use the sw blasters on the left as they mimic the mauser i saw in source pics. they just seemed huge in my figures hands. i looked through my guns and really didn't see anything. until i saw the little lego ko submachine guns. top is unaltered, then my first few altered versions. i got the idea to use parallel pliers to squeeze the round handles to make them better shaped and got the bonus of nice textured lines!
i also realized the trigger guards were fine with my figure. i squeezed the pair of lego stg's to see if it made them look better and i really like them now! i sprayed the pistols gold.
now i just got figure out the crotch transition (maybe a harness)and give him a wash.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Your Drax is very intereesting to me. I've been wondering how to handle more movie accurate tribal scarring for him and your approach seems to be lower effort than the options I've entertained, which makes it pretty appealing.

The Rocketeer is really great.Pistols feel spot on.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm 

Rocketeer is looking awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:11 pm 

thanks spin doctor! as of right now all that red is off (body and head) i scrubbed with a q-tip and water and got them painted a nice thin coat of green, later tonight or tomorrow i'll give the red another go.

thanks dotd! i never thought i would make a rocketeer custom, but just go wherever this crazy hobby takes me!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 am 

That Rocketeer is outstanding! I would buy that figure at retail.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 am 

thanks flash! i appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:35 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

That Rocketeer is turning into a figure of the year contender. Can’t wait for final shots.

Guardians look great. And fun. I remember having fits with red ink for my Drax, and with same issue of color bleed because I washed after and not before. The texture of what you are using is intriguing.

Also agree on the Aniston likeness they used that same sculpt on a black widow which makes it even more so.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:00 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])