Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gor, King of the Terrons!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:25 am 

Another one of the "proto-villains" from the 1970s only this time from the Hasbro stable. This is a special post too because it'll be my first work in progress. I've delved deeper and deeper into the world of amateur sculpting with this rather obscure project.

Gor is from the Super Joe Adventure Team line of toys from the 1970s. In a bid to compete with the incredible might of the Kenner Star Wars toy line, Hasbro attempted to fight back with the Super Joe line (Or Commander Power line in the UK, licensed by Palitoy). Super Joe had to do battle against against Gor, King of the Terrons. Now the trouble with Gor was that I couldn't find a figure that I liked enough to represent him. There were several options but ultimately I went with the Marvel route and got a knock off BAF Ultimate Green Goblin for pennies!

I want to homage this.

So I went from this -

To this.

Current Work in Progress:

I am still working on his head, the back of his legs and will soon have to figure out his abs. The sculpting part is actually pretty difficult for me. What do you guys think so far? I'll be updating this soon.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Gor, King of the Terrons!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm 

looking great! what are you using as sculpt? your skill is awesome, and if this is "starting" i can't wait to see where you take it.

do you have a link to the base figure for cheap? is he 6" or bigger?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:17 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
looking great! what are you using as sculpt? your skill is awesome, and if this is "starting" i can't wait to see where you take it.

do you have a link to the base figure for cheap? is he 6" or bigger?

Thanks! I hope I do it well enough. This project is tough so far haha. For the sculpt I'm using Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Type.

As for the base figure he's a lot taller than 6 inches. He's the Build a Figure from the Ultimate Spider-Man wave. This time, however, this is a bootleg I got from a Chinese seller in China. I don't have a link to this unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm 

Fantastic sculpt work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 am 

past nastification wrote:
Fantastic sculpt work.

Thanks a lot, past nastification! Doing what I can. If anyone of you have any ideas you can always send them my way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:47 am 

So Gor is ready to be painted. However, I am debating whether I should go for his original colour scheme or settle with the Ultimate Green Goblin native colour scheme. Green vs Dark Green. Which one? I did manage to match the colour too. Here's a tiny sample.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:28 pm 

i would paint the sculpt with the close green,but in thin almost washes. after that dries then come back and wash everything with a darker color, then after that dries paint the humps,bumps, and horns a off white. i just learned that you can spray matte clear to get washes to hold better, and it works. since you are staying all green i think i would skip that here though. just stay thin on paint so it doesn't get too thick through all the steps.

he is going to be amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
i would paint the sculpt with the close green,but in thin almost washes. after that dries then come back and wash everything with a darker color, then after that dries paint the humps,bumps, and horns a off white. i just learned that you can spray matte clear to get washes to hold better, and it works. since you are staying all green i think i would skip that here though. just stay thin on paint so it doesn't get too thick through all the steps.

he is going to be amazing.

Cool! Ok. I'll try this method and see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 am 

Update

He's incomplete. Still requires touchups in missed areas, needs his red jeweled center, his bones and nails painted off white and colour correction in some areas. Looking for any constructive comments and suggestions from you guys if you can spare them. Thank you.

What do you think? Are the colours good so far?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 am 

he's looking great! haunting expression.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 am 

Looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:48 am 

Yeah, that turned out really well - especially the head. Great job!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:42 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
he's looking great! haunting expression.

sgcaper wrote:
Looking great

Chief wrote:
Yeah, that turned out really well - especially the head. Great job!

Thanks you guys! Finally, after days of working on this custom it's completed. Pretty much built only using a bootleg Build a Figure Ultimate Green Goblin and lots of putty for sculping the unique armour around his body. As a bonus, his chest piece is compatible with Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy Blast Effects parts. In the picture he's using Siege Jetfire's effects part.

I went with the toy's eye colour over the packaging art's red colour. I also went with a darker skin tone as I wanted him to have a different colour theme from Gargon and Darkon. Think similarly to how they gave different skin tones to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' classic toys in the 80s. I have to thank 2DARK2C for the motivation and inspiration for this project. He shared a lot of ideas that helped to bring Gor to reality. Thanks man!

Original:

Homage:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:52 am 

that is awesome! the blast effect was a total surprise! really genius idea to make him have the modular chest effects. now you need to try your hand at a background before the epic group shot of your villains!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
that is awesome! the blast effect was a total surprise! really genius idea to make him have the modular chest effects. now you need to try your hand at a background before the epic group shot of your villains!

I'll PM you about that. I don't know where to start. Backgrounds...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:26 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])