Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:34 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ammo storage question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 pm 

I've been putting together a couple display ideas in my head for G.I. Joe armory dioramas. I'm looking at both the 1/18 and 1/6 scale. One of the things I can't work out is how to store ammo. For my 1/18 scale armory I've got some of the PTE crates and a few of the Chap Mei crates for rifles and such. And I have a nice 1/6 scale weapons rack for my 12" armory. But I'm not sure how to display the ammo clips and magazines for either one. Hopefully one of our military expert members can help me out with how actual ammunition is stored and I can translate that to my smaller dios.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Ammo storage question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Not a military guy, but generally, they'd be stored in cans. Not sure about 1/6, but I'm not aware of any functional 1/18 cans that you could use to store them. Maybe get some of the PTE lockers (does MJ have those?) and put them in a 'locked cage' for secure storage?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 pm 

I store my ammo in the face of my enemies. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I've got a few BBI WWII ammo boxes for dio stuff, but they aren't functional and might look out of place anyway. Also have one or two larger cases from modern BBI vehicles that do function, but also might not be what you are looking for

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 pm 

Get some of those crates that Samsallspark made and use some higher quality paper or something that holds better and put them in those.......http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/search. ... chid=67516 for a few but a lot more available in the files section there.

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 pm 

I'd make my own. Just google ammo cases, make some small boxes out of sheet styrene.

Paint them up, then get some green stuff, jam it in, not till it's full though.

Then lube up your small pieces with some petrolium jelly and stick them in so they're partly sticking out.

After it hardens, pop them out, clean the green stuff off and then paint them a dark grey "foam" color and there you go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 pm 
Formerly Suburbanator

Ammo is stored in various sized ammo cans, this includes the linked 40mm grenades for a MK-19. Mortar rounds are stored in long flat boxes, usually four or five rounds per box. Hand grenades are stored in their own cylindrical container, with the containers stored in wooden crates. 40mm grenades for an M-203 are stored in a similar way.
Keep in mind though, ammo and weapons are not stored together. Weapons are stored in various types of lockable racks. Ammo and other things that go boom are stored in a building called a magazine. Rack magazine stores a different type of ammo/explosive. Gun ammo would be stored in one magazine, morter rounds, grenades and artillery would all be stored separately, depending on what type of projectile it is: High Explosive, white and red phosphorus, and what not are all stored separately too.

Some people, when trying to avoid thinking about those things that cause them pain, turn to drink, food, or drugs...I turn not to any of those...I collect action figures. Over the years, I've found that alcoholism is much more socially acceptable by far.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:34 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])